Ms Edge: Bypassing "file Can't Be Downloaded Securely"?

Discussion in 'Software' started by HarryPotter, Oct 21, 2023.

1. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

Hi! I am using Microsoft Edge on a Win11/64 laptop, and on one particular web site, whenever I download a file, I get a "file can't be downloaded securely" error. I don't mind this error too much, as it gives me an extra sense of security, but then again, it takes a few extra mouse clicks per file. I kind of want to skip that error on just that particular web site. How do I do that?

BTW, how do I get MS Edge to download files such as "*.pdf" and "*.nib" to download instead of open them in place? I really want to download instead of open pdf files for later use, and .nib files display garbage and would only be useful in an emulator.

2. A1phaG33k

A1phaG33k Private First Class

I dont use chrome based browsers, but there may be a setting that you can turn off secure downloads? As far as DL'n PDF's let it open and then tell it to save document.

3. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I thank you for your advice. I've been using SaveAs to save the documents. I also have been using the right-click menu. I just want it to be easier.

4. A1phaG33k

You will have to change what opens PDF's to a program like WinRaR so it does not auto open in browser. Unless your browser has a setting to save files, and not auto open them. Good luck.

5. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

Well...my browser has an option to save a link instead of opening it. I just want it to be a little easier. Also, when I try to do that with Google, I get "url.html" instead of the name of the link. :(

6. A1phaG33k

Yes sir Harry, I understand what you want. I would change the default program that opens PDF's and see if it allows you to save instead of just open. I am not 100% sure you will get what you want here, but it worth a try. Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in if this don't work. Once again, good luck.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I use Sumatra and my pdfs are downloaded. I could switch to open but sometimes that takes too long. It is faster to download then view when it is on the computer and not dependent on the browser.
    https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader

A1phaG33k likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds