nb overheated

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whril, May 29, 2015.

1. whril

whril Private First Class

today i am tackling the thermal adhesive for the heatsink and have a couple of questions. this is a new process for me so want to make sure i am doing it right. i have attached a pix in case i am making no sense.

on the back of the heatsink is a brass colored frame. this had a material on it that reminds me of the double stick poster tape. this was pretty crumbly and fell apart when removing the heatsink. when cleaning the residue off does this brass colored frame stay or do i need to clean that off the heatsink?

on the chip itself and around the edge the residue is not cleaning off with alcohol. what can i safely use to clean this with?

when i apply the thermal adhesive do i apply it only where the middle silver square (i take it this is the actual chip?) is or where the brass colored frame was as well?

thanks for your help!
    smile
    whril

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You might check the website for the TIM for application ideas.

I suspect that old ring was padding to protect the surrounding devices in case the heatsink tilted. Assuming the heatsink does not come into contact with them when sitting flat on the chip, I would not worry.

You want to clean the surfaces thoroughly. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol, available at most drug stores. I like it better than typical 73% because it does not leave a film.

Cotton swaps or a clean rag will do. Just remember too keep yourself grounded to the computer case to avoid any static buildup or discharge through the chip. The "chip" is the IC - integrated circuit permanently mounted on the motherboard.

I would probably use a wooden toothpick or something similar to carefully scrape the old TIM from around the edges of the chip.

I see a lot of dust on your motherboard there too. I use an air compressor with an inline moisture and particulate filter to blast out electronics here. If no compressor handy, you should get a can or two of compressed dusting gas.

You can use a vacuum and soft brush, but you have to be EXTREMELY careful about static buildup at the nozzle from the air and dust particles banging against it as they are sucked in. Vacuuming is NOT the preferred method but when raining I use a vacuum. I wrap my hand around the end of the nozzle then extend my index finger out so I can plant my finger on a grounding point at all times, then use the soft brush to carefully stir up the dust.

You apply the TIM only on the chip. Not the heatsink.

3. whril

thanks for the suggestions.
    i am using 91% isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters. i also tried the toothpick. neither seems to be even be making a dent in the residue. is there anything else to try?
    thanks
    smile
    whril

4. Digerati

Never tried them. I use a microfiber cloth.

Odd that the alcohol does not work. I have also used acetone but you really have to be careful none gets anywhere else.

I would not worry too much about the stuff around the edges if it does not want to come clean. Just the mating surfaces.

5. whril

the acetone worked great.

i like the coffee filters. my hands are very small and i find i can handle them better than the microfiber cloth. especially since i can tear off just how much i need.

the computer turns on and doesn't seem to be overheating. i need to remount the case fan. must either not have it tight enough or sideways as it has a slight vibration. after that i will run it and see what happens.

oh and i did find that missing pin in back of the motherboard.

and dusted. :)

thanks so much for all your help!

smile
    whril

6. Digerati

If not broken then you can use that with normal (non-adhesive) TIM.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds