New Puter Ordered

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Online right now if you are up for some gaming.

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Looks like noone else is joining so we should take this private.
    I am concentrating on my Seasonal DH for the weekend, gotta break 700! I pretty much ignore chat when playing hard, my guild is very chatty. Friends text me if they want my attention.

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I'm intending on upgrading soon, once I save up for it. Of course, after having to reset my laptop and losing a bunch of stuff, I'm somewhat nervous.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

New computers are fun! What are you going to get?

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Don't be nervous, take the hit, learn the lesson and move on. Windows is not a stable environment, you have to back things up regularly and re install/repair Windows.

New computer? In order of desirability for everyday tasks and mild gaming IMHO:
    PSU (this is your key to stability, a little oversized and high quality)
    Win 7 support for all components
    SSD for boot drive
    4 or more Gigs of RAM (up to 16 if you multi task a LOT)
    graphics card
    CPU/Motherboard (Asus is good and then get the best i7 you can afford)

Post your dream machine so we can drool/deride!

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Pretty much what DOA said. If you want to spend a little less, the AMD 6 core CPU's are pretty good as well, and cheaper. I would not worry with the 16Gig of ram unless you really multi task. I went from 8 to 16, can't tell the difference. Not a 'power' user like some on here. :cool

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've put the hurt on 16GB of ram ;)

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You are not a normal person. :-D I mean that in a good way.

With RAM as cheap as it is these days, I am still glad I went ahead and got 16GB.

9. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I have no intention on skimping on RAM. I game, and gotta have the juice. I'm not ever sticking another Intel in my computers. I've never had anything but trouble with them. Everytime I use one, I end up replacing the processor. I have AMD computers that are eighteen years old and still run.

I never skimp on the PSU either, though I tend to buy a specific off-brand because it's proven to be insanely reliable. I'll throw together and expound upon my dream machine shortly. Chiefmax, if I'm reading the label right. This one is three years old and going strong.

Curiously, it wasn't windows that was the problem. I got some kind of infected Autoconv.exe that was hiding in an invisible folder, and had wormed it's way into the OS so much that when I killed it with Linux, it broke Windows. No Anti-virus would detect it, and even Rogue Killer wouldn't do anything. It'd just come immediately back as soon as you killed it, even to the point of restoring the link in the Start Menu startup folder the instant it was deleted. It was busily eating 60-80 of my CPU cycles constantly.

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Heard on the radio you can get a rebate of $15 if you had a P4 that was underperforming...

http://www.intelpentium4litigation.com

I was on AMD back then, so no $ for me.

Triaxx, I am loving my 6 core AMD. I don't push my machines like Adry or others do, but I really like it for Photoshop, Diablo 3, general use, it screams, especially for the $.

6 cores at 3.79GHz... I know it is not the high end stuff, but... :cool

11. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

But will it run Crysis? Actually, my current rig, with a Dual Core processor at 2.21GHz and 2GB of RAM with a GeForce 9600 GT runs it perfectly. I'm more concerned with how well the new one will run Minecraft.

Yeah, I never had a P4 either. I'd already abandoned it for AMD.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Don't know if it will run Crysis or not. Lost a couple of the install disks. Will find them one day.

13. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Hmmm... mine's a one disc install. Though it's on Steam if you're really interested. ;P

Also, Mini Tool Power Data Recovery? Pretty good at recovering lost files. Though it kept crashing part way through, so I had to stop it before that point and retrieve them manually. Strange.

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I is not on this hard drive. We had power but no internet for a while after a tornado hit a few weeks ago, I was digging around for any games to play that did not require internet...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds