Not sure where this belongs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Greyhound, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Sorry about the title. While I am online and change sites, or even when I first come on, as MG is my startup page, the icon arrows that are in the front of the thread titles, are missing, and when I right click and click on show picure, then it is okay, This happens on other sites as well, not sure if hardware or software. It happens all the time.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do you by any chance have Norton Internet Security? if so their has been issues with that and the last IE6 SP1 update.

one possible fix is to disable and re-enable show pictures in.........

goto Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > under Multimedia... you will notice that the Show pictures box is ticked > Untick it, then tick it again and click Apply.

or if you do have a Norton or another firewall just see if turning it off helps.

3. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Had not changed my security setting, and it just started doing it yesterday or so. I did do what Halo suggested though, will see what happens. Thx.

4. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Well, I did as you suggested Halo, and it still happens, now don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen all the time but often enough. It really is not a problem as I can work around it, I was just wondering if it was an easy fix that I didn't know about.

5. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Hey robo, did that, so will see what happens. I had about 550mb set up for Temp Internet files, I seem to remember something about that being way too much, not sure......? Have 384mb memory.

6. DavidGP

Are you on Broadband Greyhound?

If so I really would recomend lowering the size of the Temp Internet Cache to next to nothing say a token 20mbs.... why you ask, well you have a quick enough connection to load all the pages quickly... if you leave too many files... most of which are old and proberbly none relevent to the most upto date pages anyway, IE has a auto/default setting which is way too high.

If I remember these correctly these are the default cache settings for the other popular browsers....

Opera 20mb
    Netscape 1mb ( maybe its 10mb but I know its not high )
    Mozilla 50mb

Hewlett Packard also say in one of their guides to reduce the TIC to 10mb...
    So having as huge one only wastes HD space IMO.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  7. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Sure wish I was Halo, but alas, I am only a dial up. Where I live I can't get anything else. But I thought I could still reduce that cache setting some. What do you think?

8. DavidGP

Yes definatly.... go for similar to Opera @ 20mb and see if your surfing speeds are still similar to what you now get... when I was on Dialup I never had my TIC above 20mb and never noticed any difference with the default windows setting...

9. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Thanks Halo, going to give it a try. Couldn't hurt for sure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds