Outlook Express Crashes

Discussion in 'Software' started by AbbySue, Jun 10, 2005.

1. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

when attempting to write a new message. This happens as soon as I click the icon to compose a message. I have multiple accounts, am able to view all messages that I have saved or are newly downloaded. I am also able to reply/forward from any message currently stored in my folders. I do not have any sigs or stationary selected by default for use when composing a new message. I do not get any errors when clicking 'send/receive all' nor do I get any errors when sending messages as long as I am sending by responding to someone who has emailed me. This problem occurs in all of my accounts. In order to compose new messages I am having to use the web-based services available through my ISP, gmail & MG.

I ran sfc /scannow which did fix a few issues then ran windows update, no updates needed. Rebooted and tried OE, the same thing happens. For the heck of it I thought I would try to reinstall IE/OE as follows even though I 'think' the issue might be corrupted dbx files but I can't find any 'free' utilities that may be able to repair them.

I edited the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} changing the installed - D_WORD value from 1 to 0 and then proceeded to try and reinstall IE/OE but was unable to getting a message that I already had a newer version. Rebooted.

I have no problems at all with IE and am perfectly willing to reinstall IE/OE if it will fix the problem...any messages I want to keep are dragged out of OE as I go along then saved to a back up disc so it's not like I will lose anything of importance.

Event viewer error: [​IMG]

OS - XP Home SP2
    Zone Alarm free (I don't see how this could be an issue as I am able to send messages as long as I'm not trying to compose a new one.)

Recent software change(s):

Uninstalled SpyBot

Uninstalled Avast, used a registry cleaner afterward then installed eTrust AV. As a last ditch effort I restored my registry back up a few minutes ago, rebooted...no change. I tried disabling the mail scanner for eTrust..no change. When I first installed eTrust everything worked fine.

I moved on to uninstalling eTrust (this is a free 1 year trial BTW), rebooted when prompted then sat through a delay in getting to the log-in screen assuming it was removing what needed to be removed. I logged in and immediately received a message "Outlook Express has been removed from this computer. Do you want to clean up your settings?" I chose yes. Now I'm thinking GREAT! I can reinstall....LMAO....nope...OE is still there and behaving in the same odd way.:D

I reinstalled Avast, rebooted...no change in OE.

Searched though MS site and was unable to find a fix. Google searches came up with things I've already tried or did not address the specific error I am getting on an XP system. Could very well be I'm missing something here but for now at least, I'm at a loss as to what that could be...

I'm wondering if I should uninstall OE via add/remove programs/windows components however the information I have managed to find that pertains to this specific dll states that the dll is not exclusive to OE. I am not getting any errors, hang ups or crashes with anything outside of OE.

Final note: Various scans for malicious gunk come back clean.

Any suggestions? I'm getting ready for my annual reformat but I've got a ways to go yet before I can do it so even a temporary fix would suit me just fine. :)

TIA!:)

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Hello AbbySue.

Application errors are such a headache :) .

1. Lets try unregistering then reregister ntdll.dll
    regsvr32 /u ntdll.dll​
    resvr32 ntdll.dll​

2. If that doesn't work lets replace the offending dll.

3. If that doesn't work uninstall OE and reinstall it.

4. Test your memory.

If none of this works I'm out of ideas.

3. AbbySue

Thanks SPD for the reply:) I have this thread on email notify so started on your suggestions as soon as you posted them...however..no luck.:(

regsvr32 /u ntdll.dll gave me this > [​IMG]

regsvr32 ntdll.dll gave me this > [​IMG]

Downloaded the dll tried replacing it and couldn't b/c it was in use. Booted to safe mode without networking, av, etc. got the same results. Haven't been able to track down what is using it to see if it's something I can temporarily shut down. Tried disabling windows file protection...No dice.

When booting back into windows from safe mode got the following:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never had this before and have rebooted a few times since and not seen it again. Did look at the technical info but there was nothing of note..unspecified error or something similar it said.

Ran 2 different memory tests:

MemTest 3.2 which I just let run on it's own for a bit and then continued to run it a bit more while under load.

Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic which I let run through 4 cycles using a floppy disc.

Everything came back perfect with both programs.

Uninstalled OE via add/remove programs, manually cleaned out the leftover .dbx files, cleaned the registry, rebooted.

Reinstalled OE (same method)..no change. As soon as I click on new message the new window starts to load and I get the error message.

Any other ideas?:D

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I'm pretty much out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is the Windows Address Book. It would be the only thing common to all of your accounts. Could be it is corrupted. Try renaming the WAB by appending the filename with .old and creating a new one.

The WAB is located here C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Abby,

Do you use signature auto-insert?

Steve

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

You said the file was in use even in safe mode. Did you try Recovery Console?

7. AbbySue

@ SPD...I don't use the address book for security reasons...haven't in at least 2 years but I'll still try what you suggested cuz as we all know...the oddest things can cause something unexpected to get corrupted.:)

@ Matacumbie...no sigs..no stationarys..just plain old email...with an occasional smiley inserted from my stash:D

@ theefool...no I didn't...to be honest I don't think I've ever used it so I'm not sure I would know how..would need a little guidance to get me started:)

8. AbbySue

Located the address book...renamed it as suggested, opened OE, clicked on the address book and even went as far as adding a bogus contact johndoe@johndoe.com then tried again to compose a message...same thing error > crash.

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try this maybe, re-register these.

regsvr32 mshtml.dll

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Steve

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Abby, the last two options I have left are a Repair Install and a Clean Install. ^Shrug^

I really hate Application Errors, you really never know what is actually causing the problem.

11. AbbySue

@ Matacumbie...successfully re-registered the 3 dlls...no change.:(

@ SPD...Well..let me tell you this...first I really appreciate you trying to help me out and second, this is a typical result for me...when I break something I do a good job of it!:D:D Seriously, it doesn't happen often that I can't fix something on my own but when it does and I finally end up starting a thread about it it's usually a doosie that has everyone scratching their head trying to figure it out. LOL

I would prefer not to do a repair if at all possible...I'm always intrigued by these things (sometimes really ticked off too! :D) but I like the challenge of trying different things to see if it can be fixed...I know..I'm wierd...:eek: lol

Don't get me wrong, I will go the repair route if I have to, I'm just trying to avoid having to reset all my preferences, tweaking and etc. to get things set back the way I like them to be...especially seeing as how I'm getting ready to reformat to begin with.

12. Shadow_Puter_Dude

AS, I know what you mean, the last time I really broke something in XP; I spent the better part of 2 weeks trying to figure it out. I found the answer after I did a clean install. It was overdue anyway I had been running XP for close to 3 years at that point. ;)

Besides this issue has me intrigued, I want to figure out how to fix it. I'll keep plugging away. :)

On the side ya miss the snow?

13. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Couple more ideas, make sure the dbx is not Read Only and try compacting your folders.

14. AbbySue

Close to 3 years!??!?! *THUD* I reformat about every 6 months or so...not cuz I broke something but b/c I do so much graphics work that my HD gets full so I figure when that happens it's time to start fresh again...I want to add a second drive but just haven't been able to yet.

I appreciate you sticking with me on this..I really do...would be great to resolve it then we would know what to do if it ever happens again...would be good for anyone else with the same problem searching the forum too!:)

Just noticed when I go into event viewer and look at the properties to see the info about the error, then click on the link in the properties window to get the info that would be sent to MS if I chose to there is an entry: File name - faultrep.dll Did a couple searches at MS and only came up with two things..nothing that made any sense to me. http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=faultrep.dll

15. Shadow_Puter_Dude

16. AbbySue

Ahhh...the plot thickens....lol

None of the dbx files were marked read only. I compressed the files for each identity...average size were 0 bytes to 10kb. I did discover something interesting though...while in the options for OE if I was randomly clicking the different tabs...clicked on signatures and got this error > [​IMG] with this error though, it's just freezing up and I have to use task manager to end task.

I checked every identity, clicking all the tabs in the options dialog and every time I get to signatures, it reproduces the error and I have to use task manager to end task...interesting eh?

17. AbbySue

Oh my goodness! That much huh? :eek: Please...don't spend all your time going cross eyed reading all that stuff...I really appreciate your help but that's an awful lot to go through when it's not even your puter.

18. Shadow_Puter_Dude

msvcrt.dll is the Microsoft Visual C Runtime, you can try to replace that dll and see if that error goes away.

19. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Not a problem, I'm intrigued by this issue.

20. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, recovery console in laymens terms is basically xp booting up in "dos". You insert your xp cd into your computer, boot from the cd, then when then choose the R option for recovery console. The first question will be about the keyboard. Just let the timer go down, unless you have a special one, I.E. from another country.

Next, it will give you an option for the drive. DONT'T hit enter, cause that will reboot you, you need to type in the number that corresponds with your drive. It will list this for you.

Next, you enter your ADMINISTRATOR account password. (unless you changed this name, which is a good for security...)

Next, you are at the prompt

If you are familiar with "DOS" commands you should be able to do what you want to do.

Did you check to see if that ntdll.dll is the same version as the one you already have? Is it different?

Also, running SFC /Checknow isn't always the best option to go by, cause IF it asks for your xp cd, it copies the original files onto your machine, not the patched files. As far as I know, the windows update will only check entries within the registry to see if you have had a certain update: HKLM\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\hotfix

Don't get me wrong, SFC is great, but I only have it tell me what is the issues, then I go from there.

Side note: this Founders Dry Hopped Pale Ale, is pretty good....

21. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

Hi

If i have understood the problem correctly you are having problems finding the latest mails in your saved folder ?

I would like to know if you have MS Office Installed, if yes there is a Tool Called scanpst.exe

under Programme file you do a search for that and you would find

this is a tool you can use to scan *.pst Files, but it can be used to Scan *.dbx files as well Try it ,

22. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

23. theefool

theefool Geekified

I believe the issue in question is outlook express. :)

I originally was going to post that if she had office install, she could try using word as the email editor....but, I caught myself, and realised it was OE.

24. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Not trying to hijack the thread, but where did you get eTrust free for a year? Doing a search I only found it free for 30 days.

Gal

25. Shadow_Puter_Dude

This came from an OE5 solution. Not the exact appliction error you are getting but similar.

1. Create a folder named BackupMail on your Desktop.
    2. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    3. In the Named box, type *.dbx, and then click Find Now. Note the path of the file name and location of your mail folders (the files that end in *.dbx).

Note that if you use identities, users all have their own mail folders.
    4. Copy and paste the .dbx files in the mail folders into the BackupMail folder that you created on your Desktop. Verify that the Folders.dbx file has been copied to the BackupMail folder. This file is necessary for the import functions in Outlook Express.
    5. Start Outlook Express 5.
    6. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
    7. Click Microsoft Outlook Express 5.
    8. Click Import mail from OE5 store directory, and then locate the mail folder that you created.
    9. When you receive the prompt to select the mail folder that you want to import, click All Folders.

26. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Also keep coming across Reinstall SP2 when deal with OE6 errors on XP w/ SP2.

27. theefool

theefool Geekified

But, not a repair installation?

28. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Several of the KB articles say to reninstall SP2. I can't find the exact application error AbbySue is getting, but the KB articles dealing with msimn.exe application errors on Win XP SP2 say to reinstall SP2.

29. theefool

theefool Geekified

What about an atempted reinstall of XP sp2? IT IS a PITA....but, may be worth an attempt....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350

then reinstall xp sp2.....

Or use a rather crappy excuse of not fixing it but using ummmm thunderbird.... :)

bah, I'd rather attempt to fix it then switch to something else....

30. theefool

theefool Geekified

It is 43 minutes till it is AM for me! :)

Indiana Standard time.......

Taking time out for her? This is fun for me. Learn something new, so to speak.....easier when my hands are on the computer in question....

31. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I have come to the conculsion that the problem is ntdll.dll, and the way to fix that is to uninstall sp2 and reinstall it.

Unless of course you can copy the newest version to the C:\Windows\System32 from the Recovery Console.

32. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I think I have a solution that may work.

1. Copy this file to floppy ntdll.dll Version: 5.1.2600.2180.

2. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to restart the computer.

3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the Windows XP installation.

4. Press C to repair the Windows XP installation by using the Recovery Console.

5. Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. For example, type 1, and then press ENTER.

6. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

6. Insert the floppy with ntdll.dll into the floppy drive.

7. Type the following command, pressing ENTER after you type the command:

copy A:\ntdll.dll C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

8. Type exit, and then press ENTER. The computer restarts.

Hopefully that will fix it.

33. theefool

theefool Geekified

I think I stated this earlier, but your explanation seems better... :)

34. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Yes, you did come to think of it.

35. AbbySue

You aren't hijacking....the topic was mentioned:)

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.e...lient=ComputerAssociates&sid=55939&CID=190471

When I first installed it the expiration was in something like 90 days, emailed their tech support after not finding a solution, heard back from them the same day on how to fix it to get my full 1 year:)

36. AbbySue

@ theefool & SPD..I'll give your suggestions a try and check the links...as soon as I have a little more caffeine flowing through my blood stream:D Really appreciate y'all helping me out with this!:)

Will post back and let you know how it's going.

Don't know if it makes a difference per your suggested fixes (NOPE! I'm not awake yet! lol) but I do have the SP2 CD.

37. theefool

theefool Geekified

You have the SP2 cd sent from Microsoft? You have a slipstreamed copy of windows XP? Or . You have Windows XP SP2 cd?

:) I just woke up also, need coffee, some vitamin B supplement (for the beer), and more water....

38. AbbySue

LOL...does the vitamin B supplement really help?;) I've had a couple cups of coffee..doesn't seem to be working yet though..brain cells are still muddled up *sigh*:D

I have the SP2 disc sent out by MS...have the SP1 disc that they sent out too but of course that one is irrelevant as everything is on the SP2 disc.:)

39. theefool

theefool Geekified

The beer brewer in me comes and shoves the IT guy in me away and replies with this:

It is a known fact that alcohol deplete the body of Vitamin B complex (complex refers to all the vitamins..in this case the B category). Vitamin B is important for the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates and protein. In other words, without vitamin B, our bodies can't convert the food we eat into usable energy. Hangovers? Due to the lack of glucose reaching the brain. Why do you feel shaky or low in energy after a night of drinking? Lack of Vitamin B. Dehydration? Lack of fluid levels in our bodies because of missing Vitamin B.

Where am I going with this? MOST store bought beer is filtered beer. Filtered, as in, they filter the yeast outta the bottles. The yeast actually produces Vitamin B (and alcohol :) )

Most home brewers don't filter their beer. I could drink my own home brewed beer till I couldn't think anymore, wake up and feel quite fine, except for the caffeine and nicotene deficiency......... :)

Also, brewing is FUN!

40. AbbySue

Ok guys...didn't want you to think I forgot about this thread...I'm back from my trip to NY only to discover OE didn't fix itself during my absence:mad:;) lol Will pick up where I (we) left off and work through what has been suggested...will post back later today or tomorrow and let y'all know if it's fixed or if it's back to square one...Thanks again for sticking with me trying to find a fix for this!:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds