Password Removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unrox, Feb 13, 2024.

1. unrox

unrox Private E-2

Some how I got myself into this mess "
    "
    "this computer is protected by a password authentication. you cannot access the data 0n this computer without the correct password. please type the system or administrator password"
    Need some guidance.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

We really can't help you hack a PC. That's kinda against the rules.;)
    We can help you if you have some odd malware causing the issue. What kind of machine is it, and how exactly did this happen? What were you "tweaking"?

3. unrox

unrox Private E-2

I don't know how I did it. It's a dell Optiplex 7040 Sff, I saw on the internet it can be done, one way was disconnecting the cmos battery for about 10 minutes, I tried 30 minutes and hit the power switch and had the computer unplugged, did not work.

4. the mekanic

So... what, if anything, were you doing in the BIOS settings? That's how you would manage to need a password at startup unless you picked up some sort of rootkit. Which are rare.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The Optiplex 7040 Sff is a business computer. Did you get this from a business? If so, the business had it connected to a network and should have removed the administrator's password to connect to the business network.

You aren't going to be able to do this without the help of the business.

the mekanic likes this.
  6. unrox

unrox Private E-2

7. unrox

unrox Private E-2

I bought it on Ebay.

8. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Contact the seller.. or Google the question.

9. the mekanic

And turned off PXE, and a few other resets. Is Windows installed? Did they give you a product key with this PC?

10. unrox

unrox Private E-2

11. unrox

unrox Private E-2

Windows 11 is installed, have the key.

12. the mekanic

So, have you set up your Windows Desktop? This may sound dumb, but have you tried just pressing the "Enter" key despite an empty password field?

13. Goddess Bastet

Goddess Bastet Master Sergeant

I bought a second-hand laptop which had a BIOS password. I did remove it but had to Google how to do so. You’ll need to do much more than remove the CMOS battery.

14. unrox

unrox Private E-2

How did you get rid of it?

15. the mekanic

I'm still not entirely clear on one thing. Was the password issue "out of the box", or have you logged into Windows?

16. Goddess Bastet

I don’t think I’d be allowed to post on what I did. It’s often a grey area on other forums too.

the mekanic likes this.
  17. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I told him Google the question.. guess he's got no GoogleFu..so here is a hint Google "Dogbert BIOS"

18. unrox

unrox Private E-2

Googled 5 times before going to the experts.

19. Goddess Bastet

At the time I checked the same or similar site looking for the solution; it didn’t for me. Hopefully the codes on the site work for the op.

20. A1phaG33k

A1phaG33k Private First Class

Just to confirm, ....is it a bios password, or the windows password?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds