Photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kestrel13!, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Musky the zombies are craaaazy! LOL
    Fred, That is a breath takingly beautiful picture.
    Katkat, that looks like the amazingly pretty New England.

Fantastic shots peeps!

I went out with my best buddy today hunting for funghi. Here's just three of the hundreds of shots I took.... :-D

Attached Files:

Eldon likes this.
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I like those Kes! Often getting low gives some great new perspectives.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So Musky, that your new Volvo? I bet nobody pulls out in front of you. At least not more than once. :-D

You are right, a different perspective can really enhance a picture. Can make the mundane look interesting.

4. Kestrel13!

Hi Musky, yes, it is indeed toxic, (Fly agaric - Amanita Muscaria) although some people indulge in them regardless esp since they cracked down on the use of lib caps...it's just a gamble... the toxicity can vary from season to season and most people aren't aware of that fact. I'm just happy to photograph them :-D

Here's a couple from the last couple days... :) The third picture I have called "Moon Fruit"

Attached Files:

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Nice shots Kestrel.

6. Kestrel13!

Thankyou katkat :)

7. Kestrel13!

That's a wonderful sunset. Musky!!!!

8. Kestrel13!

Musky I don't think I ever get notofications when someone posts to this thread... I never saw this pic of your woodie until now! I had to look and find the thread again. That looks VERY simialr to our Greater Spotted Woodpeckers. Which type is it please?

I went out yesterday for a little walk to a local church and a Robin redbreast was singing in the ruins, in a tree. I got alot of good shots, here's one...

Attached Files:

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Great pics folks, nice to see some really artistic pictures.

Emma in the mushroom ones of yours is that a bite I see out of one of the red ones ;)

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Very nice shot, Em. :)

What kind of camera did you get?

11. Anon-9aee479f8f

Nice shots musksnipe and kestrel. Always nice to see some colorful life in a otherwise drab brown winter environment kestrel.

12. Kestrel13!

The Flyagaric are very poisonous, Dave... LOL I didn't nom on it.

LauraR... My Dad got me a Canon Powershot SX510 for Christmas, which is an upgrade over my Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1 in the way that it has more zoom. The Lumix is magic for macro's though, kick's erse off the Canon.. :-D

13. LauraR

Very nice, Em! :) It takes beautiful pictures based on your bird one.

Awww...cute. They look like little foxes.

A nice bundle.:) I'm a Nikon snob though. :-D Once you go one way, you really can't go back since you end up with lenses that only fit one manufacturer.

You can look at the used prices for the Body/18-55mm kit on amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/Canon-Digit...420209543&sr=8-1&keywords=Canon+EOS+Rebel+T3i

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

It just popped into my head. The monopod we had was super strong. It was made by Leica, so I am sure it was super expensive. But it was solid.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Cool! And you can always ask your mother in law if she want to take it for a spin. :p (honestly, not recommended.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You do know you have to sleep sometime right? :-D

18. Kestrel13!

Awesome comments! I'm laughing here at the idea of using a broom handle but actually it's VERY clever. My partner was going to construct something similar for me. I don't like the idea of tripods either Musk...I couldn't be bothered lugging that round on one of my walks out birding.. the monopod idea was suggested to me by someone else, so yea Fred, nice!

Those dogs are lovely Musk, they DO look like foxes actually. You are wanting a DSLR musk? Don't know if I mentioned it before but it's what I'm trying to work my way up to, too. I have been told though that I need to use this bridge cam and get used to it before I can handle a full DSLR...

Those woodpecker pics are great!!

Thanks Laura, my quality of shots have gone up a few per cent indeed since the upgrade. I have had awful weather here today rain wise and so have stayed in the house leaning out the window getting shots of birds. :-D

At one point I went to use the bathroom and thought I'd open window to see what was out there if anything...and damn me smallest bird in Britain RIGHT in front of me... ran upstairs for cam and managed to get a blurry shot. Can't win 'em all :-D

19. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I have one of dem!... Only mine is a tripod with two legs broken off. Does that count??:p

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I guess it would count. I have seen 3 legged dogs named Tripod. :)

21. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

I'm a bit of a photog nut myself... ;)

Here's a couple recent ones.

Attached Files:

Eldon likes this.
  22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Great photos CP! I like the first one!

23. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Nevermind on my pics my phone isn't behaving .

24. Phantom

Nice snaps, Jim. I like the Bee one the best, too.:cool:)

25. Kestrel13!

Awesome! Let us know how it turns out!!

Well, you could decide on the day what you would rather do, macro shots or long distance, and just take the one! That's how I'm planning it when I DO finally, finally get one... :-D Can't wait.

That was a bit risky.... LOL

:-D Barry....

CP... those are incredible macro shots, real vivid and colourful. Love them. Didn't know you were into photography at all! Nice!

Sorry Dya...this cracked me up... LOL

@ Musksnipe...that's a great shot you posted last too! Love the B&W! It really brings out details sometimes!

My contribution for today... a Blue Tit on my telephone wire feeder on a rather wet and miserable day...

Attached Files:

26. LauraR

Some more awesome pics posted. :)

CP, I love your macros. Great focus.

You all are crazy.....Tripods = a must :p

DSLRs all have Auto mode. Most also come with a kit lens (usually a pretty wide zoom...mine was 24mm to 105mm) that is usually pretty good depending on the level of the camera. There is really no transition into DSLR when it comes to ability. The transition comes when you start to shoot off Auto mode. Once you do, its one of those things where you'll never go back. As far as changing out lenses, if you are going off on a day thing, you are better off taking one lens and working with it (as Kestrel mentioned). It'll make you see things differently...especially if you are used to working with a bunch of lenses. Being able to switch is a crutch in a lot of ways.

Here's some of my more recent ones (I need to get out some time).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  27. LauraR

Oh, and this one is for Em. :) My summer mockingbird. He lives in my yard and chases away all the other birds. He is having a fit in this picture because of my boxer, Oscar. :-D

Attached Files:

28. Kestrel13!

Oh Laura, those are some fantastic captures....!! I love them all, but the one of the silver Christmas tree by the pool is particularly eye catching. Remind me what camera model you have again (ridiculous memory!!)
    You take some super shots. :)

And the mocking bird is a whole diff post I didn't see that til after! That one is my fave over the tree of course!! You can even see the little whiskers round his beak there's so much detail!! Well taken.

With regards to DSLR's are you saying it's best to come off auto mode and get used to Manual?

29. Kestrel13!

My best shot with my new cam so far... my resident Robin Red Breast. (a male) His name is Robbie, and that's him on his tree stump surrounded by beautiful purple jelly disc fungi.

Attached Files:

30. LauraR

Beautiful color you got there with the robin, Em. :)

And thank you. I have a Nikon DSLR.

And an emphatic yes on the manual!!! LOL If you shoot a dslr on auto, it's really no different than shooting anything else in regards to ease of use. Your goal should always be to go manual. You will always get much better pictures because you are shooting at the ideal (or that's your goal, anyway) setting depending on what you want your finished result to be. Auto is great for being able to snap a shot while hand holding a camera. Usually they are not the settings you want, though, if you become really serious about photography.

31. Phantom

All of a sudden, I want to dig out my photography equipment :-o. I have one of the original 'Box Brownies', (a few pf them) One's made out of Bakelite. Guess plastics weren't around in the thirties when it was made, lol.
    I used to develop photos at school, back in the sixties, and make extra money that way. Ha!
    Yeah, yeah, I have digital equipment, too. I'm not that old-school, rof!

32. Anon-9aee479f8f

Enjoying all the pictures posted. :) But now feeling like my photography skills are very amateurish to say the least.:-o:(

33. LauraR

Photography is the perfect form of art....whether you decide to take a snapshot of your newly born baby or go out and spend an hour in order to take a breathtaking landscape shot that will make people gasp when they see it (my goal LOL).

Doesn't matter the level of ability of the shot...it's the reaction you want from an 'Awww' to a *gasp*. If you love taking pictures, that's all that matters, and it normally comes through. Here are two examples. These are shots my 11 year old nephew took with his iphone. Personally I think they are pretty great. :) The one on the dining room table is his dog and the one that I take care of every day while they work (I call him my day care dog...or Buckley :-D). The one with the ears is my mom and dad's dog Max. My nephew was throwing him snowballs to catch. LOL

Attached Files:

34. Anon-9aee479f8f

Great shots of the dogs!:) I have a hard time understanding why some people who don't like animals.

35. Phantom

Okay, I'll admit it. Those two dogie photos did make me smile, Laura.:)

36. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

When the Snowpachobra comes for you, you cannot escape...

Great picture!

Attached Files:

37. Kestrel13!

That's awesome that it's making you want to get your cam out, Barry! And Musky, I will post a shot of an old "Agfa" I have later... LOL REAL retro...

38. DavidGP

That's where art happens, you could spend hours setting up a shot, when the a candid spur of the moment shot is awesomely better!

I was taught photography, while I did an art degree and while working for Kodak, but you can be taught till the cows come home, the very essence of art and photography is being different, different angles (yes rule of 3rds still apply's today for commercial and ohhh artistic) different approaches, I find in some instances in the case of kids as they wont pose at times, is to catch them un-aware be lying on the floor in wait (like a caged tiger) or just lean over and get their faces in with a candid.

I have always thought the best pics are staged or thought of within 5mins.

Some great pics in this thread and the angles, staging and just timing is perfect.

39. DavidGP

Great Firework shot Muskie.

40. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Damn....that's survival mode. Not for me!!

41. Kestrel13!

Musky, what is that structure's purpose? I cannot believe how frozen it is!! Those are incredible pictures. I LOVE the ducks, and the fireworks shot is impressive!!

42. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

43. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Now see, that is more my kind of lighthouse. Right by a genteel southern home, probably not too far from a quickie mart if I was low on beer.

The heck with all that frozen stuff! :-D

44. Imandy Mann

probably not too far from a quickie mart if I was low on beer.

That QuickieMart/Gas Station used to be in the left of the picture where the grass is growing now. Katrina took care of that!

45. Imandy Mann

@Fred_G These 2 are not my pictures but show a different view of the quick mart and the big white house that didn't fare so well either. Zoom in one size to see better. Being from LA. I'm sure you know what can happen.

Attached Files:

46. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yep, hurricanes don't play around. That is one reason I live in northeastern LA. Our main weather danger is tornadoes.

47. Kestrel13!

A couple of Wintery scenes from a Nature Reserve. Visited on Sunday.

Attached Files:

48. Kestrel13!

Hope it was worth the log in, Musk..... roflmao

49. Imandy Mann

50. Imandy Mann

edit that last post. I had a cat lay on the keyboard.:) Not a real photoog but here's a few shots of what I do when not on the computer. Just luck because most jobs cameras and phones are not allowed.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2u2swnqa4/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds