Problems installing Office2010

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jul 21, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have a client's legal legit product key for Office 2010, but she lost the install disc (I recovered the key with ProduKey and 2 or 3 other keyfinder tools to insure the key was right). I don't have an Office2010 install disc myself :-o (I have 2003, XP, 2007, 2000). So I downloaded several different English versions (32bit/64bit) legally from Microsoft (one from this link; others from here). I downloaded only English versions, but no matter which version I try to install, no matter which PC I have tried to install it on, it WILL NOT install. Almost immediately after clicking "OK" to start the setup process, all I get is an error message: "The language of this installation package is not supported by your system". This happens on Vista systems, XP systems, and Win7 systems, all of which are basically clean/new OS installs in the USA using English language and English/US keyboards. What's up?

Any light shed on this will be awesome!

(I know it has nothing to do with the product key because it never gets that far; it errors out well before I even get any type of prompt to do anything including entering the product key)

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello dlb,
    From what I have been reading, the problem usually occurs if you try to run the setup.exe after extracting the downloaded file to a folder. Did you extract using something like Winrar? If so, and you still have the file you downloaded, just double click that file.

3. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    Use the tool for the 2010 version here to completely uninstall office 2010. Reboot pc
    Retry to install office 2010.

Also , if this is for a winXP machine, you will most likely need to install MSXML4.0 first!

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

@ tgell: :-o Yeah, I extracted the file first because I wanted to burn a disc for my client so she could re-install it herself, and since the extracted folder has an autorun.inf file in it, I assumed that it was more-or-less designed to be burned.... I guess not. I'll try just running downloaded EXE file and we'll see how that goes. THANKS!

@ thisisu: actually, the client is running Vista Home Premium X64, so this shouldn't be a problem. The PC isn't booting to a desktop; it loads past the green progress indicator, past the Vista logo, then stops at a black a screen with the pointer; the pointer can be moved, but that's it, and all repair attempts have been unsuccessful. I have backed up all docs, pics, music, etc, and now I have to format and reload Windows.

THANKS GUYS!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds