RAM not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mdowns, Aug 4, 2004.

1. mdowns

mdowns Private First Class

Hey Geeks. :)

Got a problem. About a month ago, I packed up my main rig (specs are in the sig below) and sent it to a new apartment. I just unpacked it a couple of days ago. Now, before I picked the thing up, I had 512 MB of RAM installed (2 sticks of 256 MB). After I unpacked it, I still had 512 MB of RAM installed.

However, my computer doesn't seem to recognize one of the sticks of RAM. Under Windows System Information it says 256 MB. My RamIdleLE proggy says 256 MB. Everest Home Edition says only 256 MB. But, Everest does recognize that there are two sticks plugged into the Mobo.

I'm going to turn off the computer after I post this and open it up to make sure everything is plugged in nice and tight, but do you think there might be anything else wrong other than the possible jarring during the move?

Thanks for your help!

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

First suggestion would be to do what you said, reseat the RAM. You should also be able to check in your BIOS how much is being seen and which modules are in which slots. This could be a defective module.

3. mdowns

mdowns Private First Class

Yep, krazykrl, you're right. One of the modules wasn't seated correctly. :eek: I probably shouldn't have even posted this...but better safe than sorry. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds