something weird about my D: drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by wickedtaylor, Mar 22, 2004.

1. wickedtaylor

wickedtaylor Private First Class

ok don't seem to under stand this but i copy everything in my D: drive to a folder so i can reformat it but when i check the folder shows up as 1.85 gigs but my d: drive properties show it as 2.53 gigs of used space why is this or did something not copy right... also i was wondering is it true when you do a reinstall M$ leaves stuff still on your drive and if it does how do i clean the whole drive and make it so i can use it for storage like my dls and stuff...

found a program wondering if anyone knows about it http://www.killdisk.com/

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

System Volume Information....

Its a hidden file, and contains all your restore points.

Prety good chance that is your culprit.

3. wickedtaylor

how would i find out if thats the thing screwing me up cause i dont want to delete it all and reformat with out knowing...

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Show Hiiden Files and Folders.

5. wickedtaylor

i tried that and it didnt show anything in there that was hidden it did at one time hold 98se on it could that be it or is it missed up...was told once that windows leaves stuff still on your computer even if u wipe the drive clean is that true???? but that software i dl will that do a complete wipe of the HD or is there a better program out there

6. Rataplan

Rataplan Private E-2

Does you OS uses your D: drive for it's swap files or virtual memory?

seems to like that proggy you downloaded might do the trick to completely whipe you drive clean, yeah

7. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Perhaps you should refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315688&Product=winxp

Its subject is:

How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP

I assume you are using XP. Buy the way when you said "but i copy everything in my D: drive to a folder so i can reformat" . I assume you mean you copied everything on drive D: to a folder on another drive (like C:). Otherwise, you are going to loose all your data when you reformat drive D:.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds