Suggestions for making the forums better

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimW, Aug 21, 2014.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Here is your chance to make suggestions. All will be considered, some may actually be employed. But don't waste bandwidth with non-sense. :major

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Tim, brilliant post and while I think the tech and malware forums do the job well, its the lounge, leisure time areas that likely need a lift, I don't mean add irrelevant links to null stories or videos, but meaningful debate...

Now that opens up a whole new area, do tech centric forums do debate well, and IMHO no.... but we could have a invite only area for debate on hot topics and with a rule that you cause an issue a 3 strike rule is invoked, so you loose access rights to said forum area (this area would be invisible to those not approved). I would also pick moderators that do not post in said forums to moderate it.

Do we need a Windows, Android, Apple "app" to relay the new software or news, or hot forum posts? that could capture a new market.

I juts think forums are slower these days due to more new users to internet using social media, so more ties with linkedin (a tech group would be good), twitter, facebook (although I know we have one)

Difficult for me as I have set in ways ideas, so would like to hear other members ideas also.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Maybe add sub categories and transfer some of our rambling there.
    Birthdays, Family events (wedding, baby, etc) and travel plans come to mind.

4. TimW

@nad4ev, this is primarily a tech forum and there is no need for subcatagories in the lounge. People post what interests them and response is up for others to decide if it is worthwhile.

From the little response to this thread, I am going to assume that everyone is basically happy with the way the forums are set up. :major

5. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

This is, by far, the best tech forum on the web. Have been a member since, I think, 2005 without looking. I NEVER have used anything on my computers that has not been recommended by you folks. I have NEVER had a virus or other uninvited garbage on my computer since perusing your site. My computer runs like a fine Swiss watch, thanks to you.
    I am an old guy---not too tech savvy---I rely on you.
    PLEASE keep your, "Top Freeware Picks" totally updated.
    Appreciate you folks.
    Thanks so much!
    Dave

6. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Upgrade to latest vB, or switch to MyBB ;)

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What would that offer to bring more people here? I can't think of anything offhand.

8. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I saw the original post in either reviews off beat or way off beat around the 21st. But I never did see a link or anything to the topic and I view most every day. How bout a section on code snippets or such where not to fix a problem but to share a insight or way of doing something.

I just made a short cut on the desktop taking me to systemproperties protection for a 1-click route to restore before installing any software or hardware. I'm sure there are some good ideas out there worth sharing. Thanks.

9. TimW

That;s something you should share in the software forum. ;)

10. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Done. And thanks.

11. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Gee Tim, dare I say it.......

CHAT! LOL!!

Forgive me old friend, I just had to do it......

Yours,
    Jack

12. TimW

LOL....chat box will live in infamy!!

13. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Well, after the clampdown on HBT, the forum lost some steam.

That being said, you have to have controversy sometimes to draw a crowd.

Endless video links are needing to be combined with the existing video threads, or the offender given a break. ;)

14. TimW

HBTisn't dead......it just needs moderation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds