Thinking about trying Linux..

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Aug 9, 2006.

1. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Try running fsck (not reiserfsck) on your /boot partition (don't know the number).
    If you want to uninstall SuSE, the best way is to format the drive containing it and then restore the MBR. With your XP cd it should go like this:
    Go to the screen where you have to chose on which drive you want to install windows (not the recovery console) and delete the Linux partitions. Then just reboot, no need installing windows :). Now go into the recovery console and use the fixmbr command to restore the mbr of your drive. fixmbr manual

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Okay, for some reason it showed 4 or 5 partitions. I deleted the 23GB one that I knew was SUSE.

Now when I reboot it shows the Windows XP screen with the green moving bar, and it stays there about 30 seconds, then it reboots by itself with no warning and it comes up and says "Windows was not shutdown properly" and it gives options for last known config, safe mode, normal, etc. I tried LKC and also safe mode, they both reboot after it loads.

I think I need to delete the other partitions, but I don't want to accidentally delete my Windows partition...

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Oh, I forgot to fix MBR.

Let me try that! Heh heh... :)

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Uh oh.

I did the fixmbr and it still does the same rebooting thing.

Oh no :(

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Ubuntu is aimed at the Home user and Suse is an Enterprise Solution, meant for businesses and comes with the software to running any kind of server you want.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Linux typically has 4 partitions, Boot, Root, Swap & Native.

You can boot from a "Live CD" and remove the Non-Windows Partitions.

Can you boot to Windows using the Windows CD?

7. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Do you mean can I get to the blue screen with recovery console or new installation options?

And which live version of Linux is that easiest/smallest file size that will let me do that?

8. DAKz

DAKz Corporal

Hello, I ran into the same problems and finally gave up and tried it on M$ Virtual PC and found what I was doing wrong, when it first boots there is an option at the bottom for your screen res. pick a good safe one there by default it is set at VGA. Then run the live CD. I even ordered the CD's and still had the same problem with all 6 they sent me! But changing the screen res at boot up to 1024x768 solved it for me on the computer I am running. It is a nice OS and I was happy with it till!!!!
    Kororaa gpl came out, it is a free download, and easy to burn the live CD, I burned it at 40x and no problems using nero, but this thing is awesome, it has a 3D desktop that you can flip around launch apps on each one, overlap from one to the other, a matrix like animated wallpaper, it is something, best looking OS I have seen from either Linux or M$! very easy to customize, fun to use, very fast, very sharp it does require a good graphics card but you will see why it does! It runs great on older systems, and the "Windows" on it you grab them to move and they react like jello, it is fun to sit there and shake the window! It comes with a movie player and it is possible to run a different movie on each desktop! A lot of really neat stuff is packed into this and I really encourage everyone to check it out, at least the live CD, it may be the begining of a whole new era for PC's The site is http://kororaa.org/ and the download is available on the right hand side of the screen! I believe it comes in both 32 and 64. But as I said anyone that has ever thought about Linux should check this out, it's slick, fast and easier to load, dual boot, and use then M$ new offering of Vista! They have a forum there and a FAQ for install problems and they really encourage your feedback on any issue. The site is watched closely by the publishers and are fast to respond to any questions you may have.

Wow after rereading this I must include a disclaimer...I am a PC user, not a compensated endorser of Linux or kororaa. hehehehe I really think the staff here should look at a link to the site, the download, or maybe a news topic of the day. I am not suggesting that everyone give up windows and go running for this, but wow what a great alternative with no WGA or licensing problems!!

9. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I'm downloading Knoppix right now, so I hope that will do the job.

10. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Or for the demanding home user, like me :)

It should, use qtparted for this (run as superuser)

11. DAKz

DAKz Corporal

Went to check it out and did not see a 64bit version??

12. DAKz

DAKz Corporal

naww I would rather do Kororaa, way slicker!

13. askantik

askantik Sergeant

What do you mean/how do I run it as superuser?

I opened qtparted and it has

a windows icon next to /dev/hdb1 (yes, b not a...) it sayhdb5, hdb6, hdbs NTFS Active

Then 02 is /dev/hdb-1 it says "free"

03 begins a tree with hdb5, hdb6, hdb-1. linux-swap, reiserfs, and free, respectively. Won't let me delete any of them. It says it's mounted. Don't know what that means or how to unmount it. It has hdb1 on my desktop (I assume thats the one with Windows, even though I don't know why it shows it as 8.94 GB. Sort of scares me... My Windows partition had (or was supposed to) have about 20 GB of data + Windows XP on it..

But when I click on hdb1 on my desktop, it says

Could not mount device.

The error reported was:

ntfs_pread: device seek to 0xdf9a9f000 returned error: Invalid argument

Failed to read $MFTMirr: Invalid argument

Couldn't mount device '/dev/hdb1': Invalid argument

Mount failed.

Then the only option I have is to click OK. I hope my mp3s and all my other stuff is intact... I hope I didn't delete it.

Damn :( Knoppix would have been the way to go to just run it off the CD. Running it live worked like a charm. Everyone please pray that my files are still there :)

14. Shadow_Puter_Dude

What all this means is that the Master File Table (MFT) on the Windows Partition is corrupt.
    There may be a chance that they are still there and recoverable.

Download the GParted LiveCD, create the Live CD with your favorite CD Burning app. Make sure you burn "Disc at once" instead of "Track at once"

Boot the GParted Live CD, remove all non-windows partitons. Next increase the size of the Windows partition. Apply chages. Reboot
    Nice Distro, comes in both CD and DVD. I use it a lot to examine the Windows Partition on otherwise seemingly "dead" drives.

15. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Downloading GParted. Got one more class I have to go to. SPD, do you mind sending me your IM screenname in a PM so I can make sure I do everything right?

Thanks for your help!

16. abri

abri MajorGeek

Askantik,
    Please don't go into IM if you can help it, because this is a really interesting thread. I would hate to lose all your input.
    abri

17. ltb-p5wd2

ltb-p5wd2 Private E-2

What distro is best for building a media center pc? I have been looking at Ubuntu. Will Kubuntu work and what is the difference between these two?
    Open to suggestions. I am a Newbie at Linux.

18. theefool

theefool Geekified

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds