Vista Grace/Eval period expired, now to upgrade to higher Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Jun 2, 2009.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hi. I'll try to explain this as easily as I can :)

1) I had a computer with Windows XP Professional installed.

2) Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit that was installed as an upgrade 30 days ago. As you probably know, Vista has a 30 day evaluation or grace period where it can be used without a product key. That's what I did. Now that the period has expired, I want to buy the Vista Ultimate 64-bit RED upgrade.

3) The RED version just makes a donation to a charity and has some extra desktop wallpapers, etc. as far as I can tell. My question isn't regarding that-- you can assume for the purpose of this post that I just said Vista Ultimate 64-bit upgrade.

4) Now, finally, my question: since I already have 64-bit version of Vista on the PC, I can upgrade to Ultimate without a clean install, right?

I would think that the setup DVD for Ultimate would just install the content not already there and the fact that it's already 64-bit means it shouldn't require me to backup everything and do a fresh start, but I'm asking to be sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. I did some searching on Microsoft support articles to no avail. Thanks!!

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Anyone? For clarity, I should've omitted the entire part about it being the RED edition-- that's irrelevant. Question still stands though :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds