What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dyamond, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

[​IMG]

I am rocking these bad boys when I can.

Dead sexy :-D

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You go girlfriend!Those are so in this season...

3. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Don't be jealous :p

oh.. I did nothing today but work.. but it's friday!! :celebrate

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I think Rikky was talking to Burning Monkey. :-D

5. Rikky

I was, his new shoes look fabulous darling.

EDIT I think that's the first time I've ever typed the word fabulous:-D I'm sure there's a law somewhere forbidding straight guys from using it...

6. dyamond

I know, that's why I was telling him not to be jealous of his shoes.. You could tell he was just seething with jealousy from his post. :-D

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

LOL

and you spelled it correctly too! That says something, Rik...not sure it's a good something, but it's something. :-D

heh...I should have gotten the jealousy vibe. I'm a little off today. LOL

8. dyamond

Hey, not everyone can have fabulous shoes :p but if you want fabulous shoes, then Rikky, you can have fabulous shoes, you know I'd support you. LOL

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

SHOOOOOOOOOOSEEEEEEEEEE

I like boots, mmmm no pics!? grrrrrrr

10. dyamond

Sorry LOL I promise to post pics this weekend.

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

:drool:drool:drool:drool

12. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

That he knows how to use spell check.

13. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I got new Nikes today :-D Upcoming picture .. (@Dya .. I'm lovin those! :))

Need to sleep now :zzz

14. Mimsy

I got a new pair of New Balance shoes, that I wore to work to break them in, and then they got to do hard work at the gym for an hour, first circuit training and then treadmill walking. They did great. :)

15. dyamond

I love New Balances!!! So comfy that I wore my last pair until there was a tiny hole in the sole LOL I wanted another pair of them but they didn't have any I liked in my size and I like the Puma's and they are also comfy, so that's why I bought those.

I'm gonna go take another walk since it's such a nice day today!

16. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

It's okay.

I am used to rampaging jealousy from a lot of people. And they are fabulous. Although that is an old picture. I am on my second pair of chucks, and 3 pair of biforcated shoe laces. The current pair has a darker blue.

I had green and orange for a while and those were great. They glowed in black light. It was awesome.

17. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

O, and I forgot.

I plan on doing as little as possible here at work today. I am working on someone else's project since mine is almost finished and they are very annoying.

18. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

After my niece and I woke up, we took a taxi back to the bar to pick up her car (yeah, it went like that last night), then went out for an ungodly huge breakfast. Ever since I've been playing with the new laptop and getting it customized to my preferences with my software on it.

19. Mimsy

I went to the dentist. He said my tooth cracked and needs a crown put on,and if I don’t have that done I may end up needing a root canal instead ... :(

20. TimW

Been there, done that. Not fun. Not cheap. Stop biting your katana's!!!! ;)

21. Mimsy

But the doctor said I need more iron in my diet... :(

22. Rikky

To keep with the shoe theme I bought some new kicks over the weekend,trainers £12 from the supermarket Lidl,its a store that sells things unbelievably cheap:-D

Its happened then,I've become the uncool old man who wears no name shoes and clothes because they're a bargain.

I saw a cool pair of duma's for £5 but they may be on the pricey side.

23. voltaire

voltaire Private E-2

bought the parts to a new computer...... took about 5 hours to set up.. to find out that somewhere along the line i fudged up.

24. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

EIGHT HOURS trying to figure out why, suddenly and for no apparent reason, my new laptop decided it was no longer interested in connecting to websites. The router is up and running, the connection is good, signal strength is excellent, and security is not a factor (I unlocked the wifi entirely and still didn't fix the problem).

The stupid thing is that I was online with it all afternoon with no problem, and didn't change a thing, just closed it during dinner. I'm done.

25. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Happened to me this morning, Sarge!!
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipcongig /renew
    All from elevated CMD worked for me.

Cheers..

26. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Once I finally figured out how the $#!$%^@!! to open a command prompt in Windows 7... Turns out it was Zone Alarm. Here's hoping the Windows firewall is good enough. Now Chrome has started underlining EVERY single word I type in red as if I've misspelled them. It's after 3am. I'm walking away and losing myself in a book.

Thanks, sikvik!

27. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I just filled out a survey for workplace satisfaction.

It is supposedly anonyomous yet, each person is given a unique identifier by email so that you don't fill it out more than once.
    My division has a 50% turn over rate currently due to company and management policy. I have less than 6 months here. I probably just sunk my own boat with my answers. :-D

And I didn't get to get started on the other project because my supervisor was too busy to make sure I had the needed items.

Looks like another day of browsing the internet on my phone and trying to find really esoteric bugs in my current project.

28. Rikky

"We got a broken arrow in the IT department speaking blasphemy against managment."

"Cut off his access and send in a level 5 clean up team."

:-D

29. Mimsy

As long as you're behind a router, it should be. I've used Windows Firewall with Avira on my Win7 laptop for over a year, and no problems. :)

30. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

To be bluntly honest, I am surprised I am still working. If I am still employed tomorrow I will be really surprised.

31. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Excellent, thanks! That makes my mind feel better. I have this instinctive "if it's from Windows you should avoid it like the plague" attitude. :-D

32. Rikky

Are you in a different place now from the abattoir?I remember you losing your job,is this a new place you could get fired from?

A lot of my friends have spoken about how their bosses attitudes have changed due to the recession,they're under more pressure to deliver and some turn into absolute dicks because they know they can get away with it because everyone is desperate to keep their job.

Happened to a friend of mine,last year his boss started verbally abusing him,everything he did was wrong so my friend handed in his resignation, the boss was completely shocked they'd just lost their best salesman.

He started sucking up tryna sort the situation out but it was to late.At lunch he told the boss exactly what was wrong with the company,his leadership style and why he was leaving,so while he was working his notice term the boss decided to be vindictive thinking he'd end up at a rival firm and kicked him off the property proving he'd made the right decision quitting, obviously tryna cause money problems for him but unbeknownst to the boss he'd already got a new job lined up to start as soon as possible,the other company wanted him that bad.

I guess the lesson is if your in management don't be a dick just because people are desperate.

33. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

if you are stateside, tell your friend to contact a lawyer. if an employer "fires" you after you turn in a legal notice of termination, that is a violation of wage & hour laws. they owe you for the notice period.

yeah, I got "laid off" from the abattoir. this is a whole new place to be let go from :-D I suppose I should change my job stuff.

34. Rikky

Yup its the same here,I shouldn't have typed 'money problems' basically he was just being an A-hole,I remember he was still paid for his notice period.

The boss thought he was going to a rival firm and he wouldn't say where he was going 'he wasn't obliged to by law I believe' due to thinking his boss would try and cause problems at his new place of employ.

I know he's had some problems with his owed commission too,I don't know how that turned out.

I've met his boss,he's a tool:-D Loves himself HONESTLY whenever there's a mirror he looks over his shoulder to check himself out :-D Can never admit he's wrong,steels other peoples idea's and pretends their his own,uses his own stupid ideas just because he's on a power trip,not that bright just there because daddy left him the company.

That kind of person:-D

Don't let the bastards grind you down BM and speak your mind,I believe welfare has become much better under Obama:-D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  35. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I ain't worried about it too much.

I am looking at this as a personal growth opportunity. I need to drastically improve myself as a person anyway, and I figured that this is the chance. I am away from most of the things that caused bad habits and atittudes from before, and in a new environment.

Worse comes to worst, it's not like I've never been let go before :-D I am sure it will happen again sooner or later, and I have a back up plan.

But thanks, I appreciate it.

36. dyamond

I didn't know that. It happened to a friend of mine. I had something different but just as shady happen to me.

At one of my previous jobs, I slipped on the company's property (they had these semi-large gravelish type rocks strewn about the parking lot and sidewalks, no idea why). I cut my hand open pretty badly that I had to go to the ER around 10 at night because my wrist had swollen up to about 3 times its size. I started going to PT because the Dr. recommended it but I had to stop because they told me that I had to pay for it.

Eventually the Dr. informed me that I needed surgery to correct my wrist/hand (I was going to be out of commission for a few weeks, maybe longer because it was my right hand and I'm right handed). Coincidentally, a few days before my surgery, I get fired (who saw that coming? :-D) My next visit to the Dr. and he asks how my job was going (I had been working up until the surgery, not very easy to work with one hand) and I told him I got fired and he almost blew his top. He said to me "they told you you should be getting worker's comp., right?" Uhh, No? He had a silent cow, didn't say anything but I could tell he was pissed. I am glad he said something, I was naive about that stuff, this was my first "real" office job.

I went and had the surgery anyway and about a month later I got a check for workers comp. I guess the Dr. did something because I never contacted anyone about a claim or anything. It's so wrong what companies try to get away with, especially with people they think don't know any better.

37. silas

silas MajorGeek

I got "screwed' one time and "some what scewed" anyways like many young people we want money. So at age 18 thought Id hit the jackpot getting a job that pay 12.80 starting pay but they gave great bonus and raised your wages constantly. Within some months I got up to 14.50 Anyways making over 600.00 - 700.00 a week atleast I was thinking wow . Now remember Iam 18 and only had fast food as my other job before hand. Anyways I now know doing a constant movement with your wrist/hands/arms can cause dmg to them. Eventually after few months ended up getting nerve test done on hands/wrist and basically had to soak my arm/hand into hot water ever break to try to help it. Heck I could put my hand in hot water and it never turned red. Anyways after some time they finally got me sent to "there dr" who happens to be the job aka hospital guy brother irl. SO I go to see him. He injects my wrist with something and told me not to lift anything heavy for 3 days if so it will make it not work. So I go back to work that day talk to the aka hospital people of the job place. What really they are are just people that been there so long and seen many things so they learn from experience. So anyways I tell them what happen and they said go home for 3 days. I get a call 2 days later by office people wondering why I havnt showed up to work/call in. I told them what happen and the people sent me home for 3 days. They said well come in now. So I come in and they said i never sent them proof of what happen at dr. SO I told them to call him up while I was there. They did dr said I could work but not heavy lifting. So They put me to work on heavy lifting. Next day I get fired. Me not knowing that I can claim unemployment or even go after job to get job back. I just left without and never looked back. But the thing that I always say is the jobs like you until something happens to you.

38. Mimsy

A very wise attitude to have, to be sure... ;)

But the firewall in 7 really is endlessly better than the one in XP. (Can't speak for Vista... hated the whole thing.)

39. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Well, my ID badge got me into the building this morning so I am employed for at least one more day :-D

Although, according to watercooler scuttlebutt wisdom, Thursday morning is when you get "let go". The decision to fire you is made Wednesday night and all your account stuff is deactivated. Thursday morning your ID badge doesn't work, so you have to go to the security desk, they grab a box and walk you to your desk so you can clean out personal effects.

40. Rikky

I've seen photo's of you BM,I'll bet there's more than one security guard there :-D

There are worst ways to be a fired I suppose.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80965997/

41. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

When I got laid off from the slaughter house, there was a fully armed on duty police officer there that followed me around like a dog.

42. Rikky

I think I remember you saying:-D

Recessions are strange affairs,the police where I'm from keep posting things through the door asking for petitions to be signed regarding them being laid off.

Everything's being cut,food prices and VAT have shot up,fuel has gone up and no one has any money including me. I'm thinking?

I want less police so I can steal shit.:-D

43. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Today I loaded in a show that was so stupid and had such old equipment that I was convinced I was being forced to revisit 1994. Thus I decided to take the early cut and left at 1pm so I could come home and sit in my chaise longue in the yard with a book. :)

44. dyamond

Today I did nothing but stay home and clean but I did take pics of my shoes finally LOL

[​IMG]

and as a added bonus for making you wait, the outfit I just bought! :-D

[​IMG]

45. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I got my new magazines for the .45 and my now hybrid Glock all cleaned up, loaded, and if I get done with the daily BS, I will go to the range Sunday. :-D

46. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Today I am expected to figure out why my code won't run on a production environment server with no direct access at all. I can't have read/write access, no SQL access, only http access and even that is extremely limited due to the fact that my code won't work.

I suppose I need to request a change, what a couple hours, then test for the change, make a new change then go home.

47. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Windows XP Firewall: Cheap bathroom condoms.

Windows 7 Firewall: Navy Condom.

I'll let you all figure it out from there.

48. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Found out that although the hospital is not legally entitled to my mother's financial information, and they are aware of that, and although she doesn't support me and we have completely separate financial lives, it doesn't matter. If she doesn't provide them the information they will not work with me on financial assistance or even an affordable payment plan because I live in her house. What they are offering is the 25-month payment plan they originally offered me. The bill is almost $35,000.00.

49. TimW

Sadly, this is the main cause of people declaring bankruptcy! It might be your best choice. :(

50. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I have an appointment with a bankruptcy lawyer later this week. What sucks is that all of the other medical places have given me fabulous payment plans, and I am several months ahead on all of them. However, if I'm going to have to file, I might as well include everything. It's not like paying any of them individually is going to help me at this point.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds