What graphics card should I get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angrymouse182, Feb 15, 2005.

1. angrymouse182

angrymouse182 Private E-2

Hey
    I've only jus built my PC but I want a new graphics card
    The spec is:

AV8 3rd eye motherboard
    AMD 65 3500
    2x 512mb ram
    sony dvd-rw drive
    (current card) HIS excalibur 5550 256mb
    MAxtor 160gb hd

I don't know too much about graphics cards and would like to know what to look for. Is ATI or nvidia better? I am willing to spend around £150...

thanks

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Do you do alot of gaming?

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

from my conversion today, 150 GBP is about $280 USD (had to convert for my knowledge)...

the best card you can get right now for that price is an Nvidia 6800 (the base model, as the GT and Ultra are more expensive).

you should be able to find one for about that price, and its a HUGE step up from a 5500.

4. Rikky

The 6800 is a good card but i havnt seen one for 150.The cheapest iv seen them in england is around 200 pounds unless you want to ship from abroad.I know i live here.Most of them are the same but make sure the memory is over 700 mhz and the core is over 300 mhz,companies lately seem to be putting their own funny letters on the end to trick you into thinking your getting something your not.The xfx6800 special gamers edition comes slightly
    slightly faster with the memory at 750 mhz and the core at 325 mhz and they make great cards.the cheapest iv seen one for is 194 pounds it can be found here.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=132710

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The best value GPU's at the moment are the Nvidia 6600 GT's.

They will give you 90% performance of the fastest cards available at only about 30% of the price.

However, if you don't play many games, then your current card would be fine.

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

i suppose you're right, i didnt realize they'd be that much more expensive over there. heres a nice MSI card for around 180£ http://www.savastore.com/productinf...=Savastore&product_id=10276730&pid=45&tid=220

or you can get an MSI or XFX 6600GT for around 140£. the 6600GT is a great card, and slightly outperforms the Ati 9800XT.

7. Rikky

Yeh we english guys suckers we dont kick up enough fuss if somethings too expensive we pay 4.80 pounds per gallon of petrol "my pound signs broke."
    Convert that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds