Which Executable File Is Opening My Photo??

Discussion in 'Software' started by the skeezix, Dec 3, 2023.

1. the skeezix

the skeezix Corporal

How can I find out the name and location of the executable (i.e. something.exe) that opens a file? I have a lot of photo apps on my computer and I don't know which one opens the file that I'm looking at.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Are you saying, when you click on a picture and it opens in a viewer, you want to know the name / exe of the viewer? A screenshot would really help.

3. the skeezix

the skeezix Corporal

Yes, that's right. When I display a photo I would like to know the name of the executable file that displays the photo.

4. foogoo

Ok, I have a question for you can you tell the model of computer & OS I'm using right now?
    You're looking for an answer but I have to drag it outta you?
    What OS and version.. Win98se, XP, Win 7, WIN 10, or Win 11...
    Do you have a 3rd party program installed that handles your pictures?
    Are you using the "vanilla" viewer default in the OS? Did you modify Win 10 to get the Windows Photo Viewer back?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

foogoo, his signature shows Windows 10 Home 22H2 on a Pavilion desktop S10-p114. You might have signatures turned off so you don't see his system specs.

According to his other thread, he installed some 3rd party photo viewer
    https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/uninstalling-one-photo-viewer.325488/#post-2059883

I don't run Windows 10 but on our Win 7 computers I have an entry in the right column of the start menu listed Default Programs. I click on it then select Associate a file type or protocol with a specific programand wait patiently while it populates. It list file extensions and what opens it.
    I can scroll down to bmp, jpeg, jpg, tif, fiff and it shows me the current default program. If I click on an extension, I can change the program it now is using to one of my choosing.

foogoo likes this.
  6. foogoo

7. plodr

Here it is
    siggy.jpg

8. plodr

Okay, if you want to see them, click or hover on your name at the top right and select Preferences in the left column.
    Under Options, one of the choices is to show people's signatures with their messages. If you tick/check the box you will now see signatures.

9. the skeezix

the skeezix Corporal

RESOLVED!

This thread can be closed. Not sure what I was thinking when I started it, but I found the name of the executables I was looking for. It was in a folder named Windows Essentials that I had not noticed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds