Which Programs Can Be Installed To Usb ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I want to install and run some programs from a device on a USB port, an HDD or flash drive.

How can I find out which programs will do this ? I know that many of the 'platforms' (e.g., PortableApps; there others I understand) available to do this have a 'download' list of programs which are designed to enable you to download and install the program. But what if the program is not on the platform's download list (e.g., Double Driver install file, DriverBackup! )? Does it imply that it is not possible to run that program from a place other than the Programs/My Programs directory(folder) [e.g., MS Office, photoshop] ?

Can you run .exe files (e.g., coretemp, DriverMax) from anywhere (if they aren't a further download and install wizard !?

Dumb_Question
    3.March.2017

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Dumb_Question likes this.
  4. Dumb_Question

Thank you Max, and plodr especially for answering one part of my question so clearly.

Re progams which need installation, are there none except those listed on the portableapps website ?

Dumb_Question
    3.March.2017

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Only programs that do not 'install' into the system itself can be used from an external drive.

6. Dumb_Question

Thank you, Max. How do I know which they are, apart from the .exe files discussed above ? Sorry to be so stupid.

Dumb_Question
    3.March.2017

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The PortableApps.com Platform is a great start.
    http://portableapps.com/download
    You can install any portable program but, it will require some manual configuration.

Try something like Portable Start Menu or SyMenu.
    http://aignes.com/psmenu.htm
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/symenu.html

Also, just for fun, create your own portable applications using a program like Cameyo.
    http://www.cameyo.com/

NB It wont work with all applications - forget about 'making' Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop portable... o_O

8. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

There are several programs to 'visualize' apps see link .
    Still they are not 100%, I know last I messed with them you could not get MS Office to work, it would need to be activated each run.
    If you install VMWare you can run it in Unity mode, it kinda of shares apps.

9. Dumb_Question

Thanks foogoo.

One of the links I followed in my searches mentioned cameyo as a program 'to create your own portable apps', but I did not follow it up.

Another warned that MS Office and Photoshop, for example, were to deeply embedded in the OS to be portable. What my question has evolved into now, is 'how can I tell which programs are portable and which are not, and how can tell ?'.

Obviously some are known-portable, such as those listed on the portableapps site, and all stand-alone .exe programs.

Dumb_Question
    4.March.2017

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's all back to front.
    First decide what actual programs you want to run from an external drive, then look for them.
    Many developers make signed 'portable' versions. You need to do your own research based on what software you want.

11. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

12. Dumb_Question

Thanks Max, that's what I want to, sorry to expressed myself so clumsily. Thanks for the other list, Eldon. I hadn't come across that one, and I couldn't find the site which had two other platforms for portable software again, and I can't remember whet they were.

Dumb_question
    4.March.2017

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

14. Dumb_Question

Thank you Max.

Dumb_Question
    4.March.2017

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds