Win 10 Or11?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimW, Feb 26, 2024.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

with some mental defects, MS is pushing an upgrade to win 11......thoughts??

2. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Every other version of Windows is hot trash. I'm going to hold in until they force me. I've declined that update a fair few times and watched the havoc it wreaks when other people give in.

the mekanic and TimW like this.
  3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I'd need a system board, CPU, and RAM upgrade. Right around $1200 with a new cooler...

4. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

win10 definitely, i would only do win11 once MS is done with "feature updates" and only provide security updates.

Crimson1077 likes this.
  5. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

100%

I wouldn't downgrade if I bought a new one with 11 on it, but I wouldn't upgrade to 11 if I had Win 10.

TimW likes this.
  6. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

This.

7. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I won't have Win 11 until there is no way of avoiding it. I currently have three PCs with Win 10 Pro and three PCs with Win 7 Pro. The Win 7 PCs don't do much these days and don't have access to the internet so no security issues and the Win 10 PCs have ESET NOD 32 installed and these PCs are the ones that get used every day. I also have a good hardware firewall so no real risks.
    Only when Win 10 is no longer supported by Micro$oft will I consider upgrading to Win 11.

Crimson1077, TimW and the mekanic like this.
  8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

We're still surfing on Windows 7 computers. FF ESR is still updated as is MS Security Essentials and there is a paid version of Malwarebytes on all the computers. I have no plans to run Windows 10 or 11. I'll switch to my android tablets or chromebook. Perhaps with Windows 12 MS will get something right again.

joffa, satrow and TimW like this.
  9. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I could be remembering wrong, Because I'm an old lady now. Or I just didn't care enough to remember - whichever.

Windows 95 - I don't remember anymore.
    Windows 98 - I remember it being okay.
    Windows 2000 - Decent
    Windows Me - Trash
    Windows XP - I used this one until it died.
    Windows Vista - Trash
    Windows 7 - I remember this being decent, but I think I downgraded back to XP
    Windows 8 - Skipped it
    Windows 10 - Using this now
    Windows 11 - Used this at work, no choice, seems decent and not all that different from 10 but still unstable.

10. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

There are also tools available that can modify the Windows installation. For example, AtlasOS, will remove a lot of the unnecessary components from Windows 11 and restore it to an usable operating system.

Linux may be also a viable alternative. Tools like Bottles makes it possible to run Windows software and games on Linux with relative ease.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds