Windows 98 2nd edition service packs

Discussion in 'Software' started by eigenvalue, May 5, 2005.

1. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I might add (and I guess you know this), when I do a McAfee virus scan
    I guess EVERY file in the desktop PC is scanned for viruses---such takes
    HOURS---ie (or eg) that's how I learned I have, most recently, about 350,000 files in this PC, as McAfee reports, to me, the number of files scanned

2. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

about a minute ago I looked in that "add/remove programs", and all three (3) previously mentioned (below) computer programs are in there, so, they've (so far as I know) been installed in the desktop PC

3. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

which one (1) of the files is spybot Search & destroy ?? is it spybotsd includes, or spybotsd14rc2, or spybotblaster, or two (2) of those three (3), and if so which two (2), or all three (3) of those three (3) ???

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Sorry, lost my connection for about an hour.

Uninstall Spyware Stomer as it is on the list of 'Rogue' Anti-Spyware products.

See Spyware Warrior

CCleaner don't uncheck any boxes.

Don't run a McAfee scan, but make sure your virus definitions are up-to-date.

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Spybot Search & Destroy is spybotsd14rc2.exe
    Spybot Search & Destroy Definitions Update is spybotsd includes
    Spyware Blaster is spywareblastersetup34.exe

6. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

going backwards (ie "up") re your below two(2) postings

I already RAN a McAfee virus scan late last night---can't "undue" that
    ---what virus definitions (or what are virus definitions ??)?? to "keep up
    to date", and HOW do I keep "them" "up to date" ??

should I go back and check the the five (5) boxes re CCleaner ??
    ie uninstall CCleaner, then go back and install again (and this time
    check those boxes) ?? yes or no question ???

will uninstall spyware stormer (and I guess I can never again install same AFTER I've uninstalled same---or until I pay another 30 bucks or so to buy same again)

So, I should double left click spybotsd14rc.exe, to install same ??
    and ignore those other two (2) spybot's things ?? and if I'm to ignore those
    last two (2) spybot's things, why did I download them anyhow ??

I'll read spyware warrior AFTER I uninstall spyware stormer, ie take "whomever's word" that stormer is "stinko" (or worse than "stinko")

I also did, last night (late) a COMPLETE "system scan" thru Ad-Aware SE
    AFTER going OFF the Internet---wanted to see what the "resources" would
    become---interesting results---and I wanted to compare such results
    with a recent McAfee virus scan--- what on earth is the "blinking bug" re Ad-Aware ?? and what are "objects" etc ?? perhaps that question of mine is, in part, WHY I must (??) learn more about "definitions" ??

7. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

on a side issue, I've received, by e mail within the past hour, and supposedly from E Bay, something called an "Ebay fraud medisation request", with instructions re verifying my "account" with E Bay---well, I have an acount with E Bay, but have never tried to sell anything
    via E Bay, nor have I bid on anything on E Bay

I'm reluctant to even "click" on the link (?) provided in that incoming e mail, as such COULD "trigger" " "snooping" in my hard disks, "planting" viruses, etc

I don't believe (but could be wrong) I ever even furnished to E Bay any credit card information.

geez, it is even time consuming to independently contact E Bay on this,
    and even check (re such) if they DID send me this recent e mail

what would YOU do re this ??

I can always just print out that incoming e mail, and then scan that printed out e mail into this PC, and thru that it is not possible for me to be "infected"
    ---right ??--and then just delete the incoming e mail (and without having opened same, or even tried to "link with their link")

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

1. What version of McAfee Anti-virus are you running?

2. Just reinstall CCleaner it will overwrite the old one.

3. Uninstall Spyware Stormer, do not reinstall it, and don't waste another 30 bucks. It is a rogue anti-spyware program. The tools I had you download will give you more than adequate protection.

2. Yes Double-Click spybotsd14rc.exe <-- this will Install, click Download Latest Protection Updates, Check for Updates, and then Enable All Protection, then exit. It does a great job of blocking known vulnerabilities as well as known malicious websites. DO NOT enable the Teatimer.

5. Spyware Stormer is a 'Stinko' program. It is part of why you are having problems.

6. The blinking bug means ad-aware has found something bad.
    [​IMG]
    Red Arrow 'Blink Bug' Click Next

[​IMG]
    Red Arrow check the boxes if uncheck Click Next, Click OK on next window.

9. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Don't click on the link in the e-mail, this is called 'phishing', e-bay does not send out e-mail of this nature.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Neither does your Bank ( just wanted to add this )

BTW guys great all round thread :)

11. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Thanks Halo, good point.

12. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

don't know what version of McAfee anti-virus---they keep downloading to me all kinds of updates and version---is the latest version, I guess

I've uninstalled spyware stormer--haven't yet "overridden" with a NEW install of CCleaner (over the first CCleaner)

did a lot re Sypbot---"along thway" I unchecked "additional languages", unchecked "skins to change appearance", checked (its box didn't
    have a check, so put in a check) "download updates immediately"

the ONLY protection I checked (with a checkmark) was "permanent protrection on Internet Explorer protection (SD helper)"--there wsn't any sentence/box for "enable all protection"

then came up all kinds of file downloads---too many downloads for me to write on a piece of paper

spotbotSD_includes exe
    a "Wizrd thing"
    a messaage "If you remove advertidsement robots, etc deetc"
    Wizard--create recovery backup ?? I said "yes" (or whatever)

english description ?? checked
    ---tea timer ?? didn't check
    Enlish language ? checked
    Immiunization database ?? checked
    immunize fix ?? checked
    main skins ?? didn't check

13. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

halo & shadow

I get "numerous" e mails from, "supposedly", banks

I don't open 'em up, and, if I feel "frisky" I print them out, scan back (into this PC) in the printed out msaterial, and then "go have a few laughs" with my local bank

hey, guys, I'm (sort of) a Nu YORKER", and "we" "steal the dimes off a dead man's eyes"---and I came "about as close as one could" to having been a sniper in the USMC---enough said on that ??

spybot has, more or less, "exhausted me"---BUT will "move on" to installing another CCleaner "over" the first installed CCleaner

there were many "next", and "next", and "next", etc re spybot
    ---there was no "exit" box to click on (re spybot)
    ---with spybot (or in that "process") my "resources" dropped to about .05 (yup, "point o five"), vs the "usual" about 55% to 66%---BUT this PC didn't "crash"

14. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Ok, with spybot you want all the updates.

Windows 98 is horrible when it comes to system resources. The more running the less available resources. Win98 doesn't manage memory very well. If you have 512Mb of memory your system resources shouldn't be getting that low. Nothing I have you doing is that resource intensive.

Don't worry about your McAfee sounds like it is up-to-date.

Question, what processes, progams, do you have running in the background?

15. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I installed CCleaner, about a minute ago, over (I hope) the prior install of CCleaner---didn't uncheck any of the five (5) boxes this "go around"

I've (sigh) saved spyware warrior's "discourse", and list, to a folder

I don't know what is running in the background---how do I learn that ??

I can list all the programs I know of (in this PC with 98 SE), same via looking at the "add/remove programs" list---the Sony laptop may also have numerous programs running in the background, and the Sony is MUCH slower re response---I seem to recall reading, somewhere, that the XP OS computer program is much longer/bigger than the 98 SE OS computer program

speaking (?) of operating systems, I didn't even know there was such a thing as "operating systems" prior to say 1990 (and even though I've, sort of, "used" computers since 1963)---this (herein) is another way of saying I was TOO DUMB to buy Microsoft stock back when Microsoft "went public" (became a publicly traded stock) in 1986
    ---(sigh)

16. Shadow_Puter_Dude

To view a list of running process open the Windows Task Manger by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL key at the same time.

Task Manger will open and yu can view a list of running processes.

Yea, I missed the boat on M$ also, tried DOS 1.0 when it came out, hated it went back to using CP/M. Made the move to DOS around 1990. :)

17. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

had "cabin fever" a few hours ago, so, turned off the PC

don't know if you are "sayng", re Microsoft, the same thing I said (or implied), ie I didn't buy any Microsoft stock at the "instant" of their IP, nor when their stock did "more than the dead cat bounce"---the stock has split often, moved up (periodically), and a few years ago it was pointed out that
    if one has bought at the IPO price, and "hung in there", one would have
    seen their investment "grow" by a factor of fifty (50)---around the time Microsoft "went public" there were hundreds (if not thousands) of tiny
    "system houses" (or tiny little software companies), and around 1986 it was
    inconceivable, to me, that any of those tiny companies would ever
    grow to the point their sales exceeded, say, $50 million per year

will respond shortly to what is running, all the time, besides 98 SE on thisd
    PC, ie am "due" to being disconnected by NetZero

18. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I hit often (about once a day--at least) on alt +control + delete.as I "freeze" or crash---never thought much about what "pops up"

at this instant among the following programs are running

NetZero
    inbox-Outlook Express
    Explorer
    Memokit
    mpftray
    Qttask
    Rnaapp
    Exec
    mpfagent
    mcvsesen
    mcagent
    stimon
    systray
    ptsnoop

some have capital letters (re those "words")

don't know what MOST of those programs do

when I use the printer, or the scanner, the program list gets longer

19. Shadow_Puter_Dude

McAfee is taking up most of your system resources. That is what most of the running processes are in the 'Task Manger'.

Your are running McAfee Antivirus and McAfee Internet Security. Both of these are rescource hungry applictions. You may want to consider changing your AV program and firewall in the future to something that isn't a demanding of system resources like McAfee.

You have a running process called ptsnoop, there are modems that use the file ptsnoop.exe and there is a backdoor of the same name. McAfee is coming up clean so that would lead me to beleive that it is use by your modem.

20. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I have an older Compaq that has ptsnoop, good advice Shadow, no worries. :)

Steve

21. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

don't know what you mean by "backdoor", below

As mentioned, I ran Ad-Aware SE personal AND McAfee virus scan llast night

certain results were interesting to me, ie

Ad-Aware scanned 499,867 files, and took about an hour

McAfee scanned 362,539 files and took about four (4) hours

At first glance, I would have thought I only have the McAfee "count" (362,539) in terms of ALL files in this PC, not the Ad-Aware "count" of 499,867 files in this PC
    ---have you any idea what ARE those "extra" some 137,000 files ????

and WHY the difference between about an hour, and about four (4) hours ??

22. Shadow_Puter_Dude

'backdoor' is a Trojan. A virus that installed on your system opens a port and listens for commands. Most commanly used to turn your computer into a 'Spam' box.

The file difference comes from what is or isn't being scanned by the program. By default McAfee does not scan every file on the computer unless you tell to.

The difference comes from the amount of malware the program scans for. Ad-Aware specificlly looks for spyware, some of which are viruses. McAfee is looking for viruses, and there are a couple hundred thounsand of those.

23. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Geting late got to get up at 4AM and take my daughter out to the school, her Physics class has a trip to Rochester tomorrow.

24. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

1205 AM EST

must hit the sack---must get up at 500 AM EST today

25. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good night all. :)

Steve

26. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

well, I thought I had SPECIFICALLY "told" (thru checking some relevant box) McAfee to scan ALL files

---the name/moniker "AD-Aware" implies (to me) ONLY scanning "advertisements" (or similar jazz) stored in one's PC

and why the differences , in scanning time, of around one (1) hour vs. around four (4) hours ??

this is a Compaq PC--but HOW do I know if ptsnoop has been installed by Compaq prior to purchase of this PC, or was/is some "backdoor" acquired (by this PC) AFTER I purchased same ??

---physics gets "tougher" after high school, or a least that was true re my experience/education---and then, after college, one might come across
    some of the work of a guy named H.S. Tsien---I've known of the Tsien "story" for some thirty (30) years, but one can do a web search on the words "H.S Tsien", and "interesting stuff" appears (??)---particularly reference to a book about H.S. Tsien, same named "The Thread of the
    Silkworm"---Tsien, maybe around 1950 to 1955, was rated among the TOP ten (1) aerodynamicists in the WORLD ("says me")

27. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Ad-Aware is only looking for 40,060 unique signatures all spyware, some of them are viruses; were as McAfee is looking for over 100,000 unique signatures all of which are viruses.

You are using dial-up, and year computer is an older one. Which makes it highly likely that ptsnoop.exe is used by your modem. Otherwise McAfee would have flagged the file as being infected. McAfee by default scans all executable files.

28. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Eigen: What would you call the phenomena?

Attached Files:

• DW.jpg
      DW.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  29. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

so, you are saying (in part)

McAfee has a larger "database", as compared to Ad-Aware, of known viruses ??

and/but McAfee doesn't scan for "general" (??) spyware , ie doesn't scan for non-virus spyware ??

well, I guess it takes longer (time consumption) to scan for 40,000
    "whatevers" than to scan for 100,000 "whatevers"

another question--do I have installed, in this desktop PC, as a result of
    downloading recently what I've downloaded (and installed), some program
    or programs, which spyware stormer USED to do ?? it seems like when I used spyware stormer the same "infections" kept "coming back" each time I "turned on" this PC---specifically, as an example here, doubleclick---so, when those "infections" reached a level of about 12 to 17 "infections", I'd "Zap 'em out" via spyware stormer---but then the NEXT time I would turn this PC on, there, AGAIN, was doubleclick

in other words, spyware stormer would list ther "infecting party", and then ask me if I wanted to remove same, and then I had the choice of "yes, zap", or, "no, don't zap"--the OTHER programs I've installed, within the past week, have NOT asked me if, or what, I might want to "zap out" (that "zapping" temporarily, or permanently)---I would think, in the past, McAfee's firewall would have PREVENTED, say, doubleclick from infecting "once", then infecting "twice", then infecting "thrice", etc

hey, just thought---perhaps I should KEEP both Ad-Aware SE personal AND McAfee ??

30. Shadow_Puter_Dude

It's like comparing apples to oranges. McAfee and Ad-Aware have different functions. One is for viruses the other is for spyware with some cross-functioality. You want both on your system. Spyware Stomer was part of the problem, it was the source of some of the infections.

Firewalls are for preventing intursions into the computer and prevent unuthorized transmission from your computer. They won't keep your computer from being infected with spyware and viruses.

The stuff you downloaded will protect your system, when ran on a regular basis.

You should run a full virus scan at least once a week, update yur virus definitions on a daily basis. Run Ad-ware and Spybot Search & Destory on a routine basis. Install and enable all protections on Spyware Blaster. Update the definitions of your spyware programs on a weekly basis. If your want an additional layer of Spyware protection you can download and install SpywareGuard.

31. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

the photo looks like the exhaust gases, from the jet engines, have intertacted with the clouds, and then that interaction dissipates
    as the plane moves along further (and the cloud vortices (??) become further
    distant from the plane)---could also be due to the shedding (??) of the boundary layers (yes, plural) from the external wongs, fuselage, etc

extremely complex phenemona, and posibly impossibe to describe, rationally, with equations (and, therefore, possibly would be impossible to duplicate like a "digitally inhanced" Star War's warrior)---course, one could "fudge" the equations etc and duplicate such a picture---the underlying equations (re physics) are known as the Navier-Stokes equations (and OTHER types of equations are used, taking into account such things as the molecular "species" of the exhaust gases from the jet engine)

not even Tsien, I would guess, could have (he's probably dead) "ratioally"
    Jumped into" that jet-clous interaction (although supercomputers would
    have "helped him" tre such an effort on his part)

Tsien, in the USA, was known for such things as "the PLK Method", which had/has to do (as best I can recall) "stretching coordinates" in
    various hypersonic aerodynamics "studies" ---the PLK "Method" is/was a VERY "crude" mathematical "tool", or series of tools, in CFD (computational
    fluid dynamics)---back in 1963 (or around that time) I took a college course in hypersonic aerodynamics, and some of Tsien's work was discusseed
    ---we, students, never (as best I can recall) discussed his "political mess" during that course (and I suspect we, students, didn't even know Tsien was "in a mess" back around 1950 to 1955)---Tsien is/was a scientist,
    while Van Braun was an engineer/organizer of people/administrator
    and a NON-scientist (and there is a difference)

and, oh yeah, the jet is probably "moving along" at subsonic speeds
    ---a supersonic fighter would cause DIFFERENT "cloud phenomena",
    as shock waves are involved re the later---messy, messy aerodynamics, for sure

I'll comment on your other posting, below, later

32. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

how do I update definitions ?? cick on the one (1) program which has definitions in its title, and then a box will "op up" which says "update now" ?? or are there more than one (1) such a program which I've downloaded ?? AND are the "definitions" like, say, the definition of a frog (eg, four legged amphibean which makes a "ribbit" sound, or whatever) ??

my (?) memokit "thing" is "neat"---if I bring same up "full window' it lists, for example, 29 applications, and gives (a number) for (I guess)
    application "storage consumption")---for example, a "few instants in time", ago mcvsite.exe was "consuming" 5443k, and iexplore.exe was consuming 1875k, while qttask.exe was consuming 492k---memokit, itself, was consuming 556k

33. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

and re "the PLK method", the P stands for Poincare (spelling ?? famous French mathematician---dead), L stands for Lighthill (famous British
    "fluid dynamicist"---dead), and K stands for Kuo (spelling ?? American "guy"
    --don't know what else he did
    -unknown if "dead")---Lighthill did a LOT of "seminal" work in fluid dynamics, or, the same stuff, gas dynamics, or aerodynamics)

I guess you know shortly after WWII we "imported" maybe 500 Nazi
    scientists, and engineers, whereas the Soviet Union imported maybe 700
    Nazi scientists and engineers, ie the USA, and the Soviet Union, had to play "catch up ball" re such as rocketry---the USA, for decades starting
    around 1929, "pooh poohed" such American guys as Goddard

34. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

and if one wants to "look at" complex equations, one can "peruse"
    such monthly publications as the "AIAA Journal" (which began publishing around 1965, yes, 1965)---most (and here's a "zinger") high school physics teachers know little or nothing about aerodynamics (or gas dynamics, or
    fluid mechanics, or, the same thing, fluid dynamics)

35. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

don't have the time to run (??) definitions on a DAILY basis

what is "routine" (ie quantify) ?? weekly ?? monthly ?? what ??

I'll check to see if I have, already, "enabled" all protections on spyware blaster (and is spyware blaster "blasting away" without me TELLING
    spyware blaster to "spyware blast" ?)

when (and how) are we going to destroy "crap" in my desktop PC ??
    ---I have a report (or something) re Ad-Aware SE, of a day r so ago, listing (in part)

23 "running processes"
    534 "process modules"
    119 "objects recognized"
    zero "objects ignored"
    119 "new critical objects"
    and
    "a flashing bug" (at the bottom of the report, ie unlike the bug you had at the TOP of YOUR report a few postings ago)

I also have (re my report) 107 "files identified", plus "other stuff": (or other line items in the report)

the above is/are "greek to me"

36. Shadow_Puter_Dude

OK, please don't run anything else, until I ask you to.

You don't have to run the Anti-virus definitions your self, you have McAfee do it for you. That is part of the reason of why I asked what version you are running. So we can setup McAfee to do this when you go online.

We want to start eradicating the bugs on your system.

Start with the Trend Micro On-Line Scan

This scan will want to install an ActiveX Control say Yes or Ok when prompted

Select C:

Select Auto Clean

Click on the Scan button

This will take a few hours.

When the scan is completed, please tell me what was found and what actions Trend Micro took.

37. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

OK, will do "trends micro on-line scan" and try to follow your steps
    ---I assume I must be online for a few hours, and if so hope thst NetZero
    does not disconnect me, say, halfway thru the process

as another side issue I tried (a few minutes ago") to "save web page" THIS string, (the COMPLETE, not the SINGLE) and I could not do---a box "popped"
    near the end of the saving process which said "the web page could not be saved"---I can't recall EVER having a problem saving any web page in the
    SINGLE format (??) download "mode"---for example, re major geeks postings,
    I can save in "single mode" (??), but not in "complete mode" (??)
    ---don't know if pointing this out is important---I had wanted to save
    your photo of the plane in the clouds, but was not allowed to do so (not alloed to do so by Microsoft, or 98 SE, or whatever)

38. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Right-Click on the image and select Save Image As...

Hopefully netzero doesn't disconnect you.

39. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

well, I'm connected to NetZero at 26,400 bits per sec, but the download of the House Call scanner is taking a L-O-N-G time---about ten minutes so far(and no results re ONLY downloading the scanner, and not yet going to the next steps)

my entire "session" has been about 35 minutes, and (entire session, which is
    I guess from the time I connected with NetZero)

bytes received 1,862,161
    bytes sent 301,150

and for ENTIRE minutes I can see that the bytes received "number" hasn't/doesn't change

for a (I guess) DEDICATED phone line, Verizon isn't "cutting the mustard" ???

40. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The initial download may take awhile. Trend Micro needs to download and install a couple things onto your computer. If it doesn't work the first time, time it again. Dial-up can be so slow.

41. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

often (or usually, or always), when I'm downloading something, up in the right hand corner of the web page (or whatever) a little globe "spins"
    ---same hasn't "spinned" for minutes re this housecall download of their scanner

42. Anon-068c403e2d

43. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The download stopped for some reason. Cancel out and try again.

44. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I "guesstimate" I'm receiving transmission (thru Verizon) at around 8 (yes, 8, not 80, not 800, and certainly not 8000) bps

hmmm---it is becoming close to "nasty letter writing time" (me to Verizon)

shoot, DSL is USELESS in the case of "zero times 500 kilobits per second". as even "zero times infinity bits per second" is still "zero bytes (or bits) received"

45. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

kadavill

I clicked (??) your link---the explanation there makes a lot of sense
    (but doubt the "explainer" has ever even seen the Navier-Stkes equations, for "better or worse")

geez, have I ever posted I worked (in part) at a tiny cmpany which was
    doing "seminal" work in SCRAMJETs (I worked there around 1963 to 1964, but not in the SCRAMJET "department")---ie around Mach 6 to Mach 10
    "flying aircraft")---well, some forty (40) years later, there STILL are no aircraft flying at Mach 6 for more than a few seconds

"patience is a virtue" ??

46. Shadow_Puter_Dude

DSL is faster than 26,400 baud rate. You are using a 56k analog modem on a dedicated phone line. Your slow connection could be caused by many different things. The condition of the in house phone lines, phone drop from the pole to the house.

47. Anon-068c403e2d

48. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I started, once again, the download of "Trends Micro etc"

--the litle world spun for awhile (about 30 seconds), and then stopped

am up to about 5,066,000 bytes received

should I now try to download Micro's "Penicillin thing" ??
    or, go back to "ground zero" and again try to download their scanner ???

shadow---you pointed out before condition of the phone line, etc,
    and I understand (I guess) that---well, have used (??) the same phone number re two (2) different apartments (within a half a mile or so) over the
    past five (5) years, and have NEVER known to have a connection speed which exceeds say 30,000 bits per second---and the actual speed, as best I can recall, has always been at (who knows) less than one thousand (1000) bits per second---my modem may (who knows) be lousy, or "pooping out" ???

49. Shadow_Puter_Dude

OK, since that isn't working. Open CCleaner and click on Run Cleaner, then click on Ok.

After that is done try the TrndMicro Online scan again.

50. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

kadavill

couldn't (hit the wrong buttons ??) bring up your graph re the Hess-Smith applet---doesn't matter (sort of "potentially boring")
    ---who is Hess ?? and who is THAT Smith ??

your other link turned out to be more interesting (eg, brings back old memories)

way back then (early 1960's) I was sort of "in training" to become another Lester Lees (and if one does a web search on the words "Lester Lees" interesting stuff "pops up")

"the money" was "awful", so, "got out" or "swtched gears"---the gals at the supermarket checkout counters are NOT impressed by the number of degrees one has---enough said on that ??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds