Windows 98 2nd edition service packs

Discussion in 'Software' started by eigenvalue, May 5, 2005.

1. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Eigen:Apart from the 'is it a wave or a partice'.What do you think of solid state and condensates?And quantum field theory and GUTs?
    The upcoming theory of quantum computers and quantum information theory is also very interesting

2. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

kadavill

I was just being "cute" (??)---shoot, I'm no expert in quantum mechanics

---I don't go "too far out" into "the vision thing" (and the software of ANSYS, and Fluent, and their "everyday uses", are about as "far out" as I'm willing to go)

and Quantum computers, so far as I know, are "way way out" re usage

3. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I've found the program file named Exec---was "simple", ie did a search on my C drive searching on the name Exec, and was a file within the folder NetZero, and that folder was within the folder named Program files

The folder named NetZero (and I MAY, can't recall, have created that folder maybe three (3) years ago) is 18.2 MB in size, and contains 359 files
    (one of those 359 being Exec)

when I right click on that Exec file I get type: application, size 88.2 KB, version 4.3.0.0, description: Zcast, copyright 2001 (yes, 2001)

I may (don't know) have changed the name of that file TO Exec, and that file, therefore, may previously been named something else

when I left click on that file I bring up the EXACT "connecting thing"
    which comes uo when I click on the NetZero shortcut icon (which is on my desktop of my desktop PC, and BOTH say version 7.0)

when offline, that program (??) Exec does not appear in the box (which comes up) when I do alt+control+delete offline---when online, if I click alt+control+delete, that Exec (whatever it is, possibly AGAIN re-named by me from something else years ago) name is on that list
    the words NetZero are not on that list (brought up by alt+control+delete) when offline, but do appear on that list when online (after clicking alt+control+delete)---also "new" to that list (offline vs online) are/is the line
    item (program ??) "My NetZero - Free dial up service high speed"

Also, when I hit start>>>programs, a list (of course) of programs comes up on a drop down list---some of those programs, listed, have "weird icons"---the program NetZero, on that list, has three (3) "sub things", and it looks, to me, like one (1) of those "sub things" is an old version of NetZero (which i possibly should have deleted a long time ago)

is this information helpful ??? I stll don't know why misconfig doesn't exist
    as a file or folder, unless, say, I deleted same (or changeed the name) thru stupidity maybe three (3) years ago

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Exec is part of NetZero HiSpeed if you are not paying for that service, then it should not be running. NetZero comes with 2 types of online the 'Basic Service' and the 'HiSpeed Service'.

Exec or Zcast is the 'Web Accelerator' used by 'NetZero HiSpeed'. That along with your Memokit is using up your system resources while you are online.

You need to fully uninstall your NetZero, since there is no option to uninstall the HiSpeed service. After NetZero is uninstalled, use the CD you got yesterday and install the Basic NetZero service only.

The are 3 entries you are not going to see when you CTRL+ALT+DEL when you are not online they are Rnaap, Exec, and Ptsnoop.

We'll deal with the msconfig issue latter.

5. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I think I'll put the recently received NetZero CD first into the laptop,
    AFTER, of course, deleting or uninstalling, in the laptop "anything and everything" which pertains to PRIOR Netzero installs---I've got to get the laptop working (offline, and online) anyhow

settings (remembering 'em re Netzero) are easy or are written down, or will be written down---messing around with NetZero's instructions re THEIR error messages, to me, is something else again , eg for some reason, in one of my attempts to hook up to NetZero (via the laptop), the laptop (or its
    modem) dialed some weird number which I never put in as a local
    (no charge) number to try to dial, or connect to

I seem to recall we've/I've downloaded, and installed, to the laptop all or most of those "tools" which the old tutorial said to (re anti-virus, spybot, etc etc)

Part of the reason for "the laptop first" is that I must have a connection to you, and if BOTH connections get screwed up, at the same tme, I'll REALLY be in a mess.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Ok, do that then.

7. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I eliminated or deleted EVERY file and folder and application I knew of pertaining to NetZero (in the desktop PC) prior to inserting the CD in the CD-ROM slot

shoved in the CD (into the desktop PC's slot)

a windows wizard (I guess, haven't checked yet) updated me to Internet explorer 6 service pack 1 (or via service pack 1)
    first attempt at access to the internet failed--McAfee asked me if I wanted to block Zcast--I responded yes---2nd, 3rd, etc attempts (to access) failed, and all those attempts had "check reasons why" (from NetZero)
    ,, and I ignored reading them

then I read NetZero's suggestions--NetZero said temporarily disable all firewalls (and try other stuff)---NetZero said also ALLOW Zcast to transmit/receive (as otherwise COULD screw up NetZero's software)

temporarily disabled McAfee---and removed the blocking of Zcast
    ---tried again to access NetZero---this time it worked---McAfee's firewall "remains" temporarily disabled at this point in time

checked my account (billing info)---still being billed at the lower (platinum service) rate, and NetZero never asked me (after the CD was put in) if I wanted to change to high speed service (so, I assume I am not going to get, or get billed for, high speed service)

hit Alt+ctrl+delete after I got online, and, damn, Exec is in/on that list of programs constantly (??) running---IF Zcast IS Exec, why the hell doesn't
    NetZero say so, or give Exec a name like "Zcast tranforms into Exec" ??

I (prior to inserting the CD) went offline and checked (thru alt+ctrl+delete)
    about Rnaap, and Ptsnoop being on that list (re "end task") WHEN offline
    ---both were on that list when offline (not that it much matters, I guess)

I'll have to check such as start, programs, to see if the dropdown list contains, as I remember them (from a few hours ago), "too many" NetZero programs

memokit (yeah, they are still "around" for the moment) lists/listed two (2) exec.exe programs (or whatever they are) AFTER I went thru this CD business

one (1) has 171k application, 7924k virtul memory
    the other has 145k application, 6296k virtual memory

I have no idea "which is which" re the "end task" problem (inability to remove), but 7924k, and 6296k, are LARGE numbers, or even if either of them
    are "the one" re the "end task" problem

I guess I never changed the name of any file or folder (re all this), and
    haven't checked to see if the misconfig thing would work

I even (now) have a NetZero "connection wizard", but hasn't provided me with any information, so, don't know what it accomplished---bottom line
    re connecting, I've connected

8. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

Also, in the middle of all this, McAfee asked me if I wanted to block CPQDIAG.EXE, and I said/responded "yeah, block it"---and I have not yet unblocked that thing (whatever it is) via McAfee

9. Shadow_Puter_Dude

ZCAST and EXEC are the same thing. If you don't allow ZCAST then NetZero isn't going to work properly. The NetZero you were using was corrupted, so I had you get rid of it.

Rnaap and Ptsnoop are services that are related to your modem.

Leave the EXEC thing only, NetZero won't work properly without it. I had you disable it before because it may not have been working properly and was intefering with IE. We are not going to disable anything right now I want you to try to download this file 7-Zip.

Now enable your firewall and if it ask to allow ZCAST allow it. Now try to download 7-zip again.

What happened both time?

10. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

so far as I know I've "disabled-the disabling thing" ie McAfee firewall
    is, again, going to block stuff (except not block such as Zcast)

will try the 7-Zip thing next

PS: well, "moving up" to IE 6.0, from 5.5, is a "step up", right ??

11. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Yes IE6SP1 is a step up, that's a good thing.

When you DL 7-Zip do it with the Firewall disabled then enabled. I trying to rule out the firewall as a problem.

12. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

By "leave the Exec only", you mean just (and only) "end task"
    memokit, or "end task" more than only memokit ?? excluding "end task"
    Exec (which I can't do anyhow) ???

13. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Don't endtask anything for now.

14. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I forgot to end task memokit anyhow

7-Zip has been downloaded, and then installed, by
    double-clicking on its "line item"--I placed same in my Trojans, etc removal folder---the install came up (in that latter Trojans, etc folder) as a folder, not as a file---and that's the ONLY "folder within a folder" which we've done
    (re the TRojans etc removal folder)

I hope I'm keeping track re putting the correct installs into the correct folder
    but I see spyware blaster "is a folder", and "standing alone" in/on the desktop
    of my dekstop PC

what next ???

well, 7-Zip downloaded, and then was installed, with whatever was the status of McAfee's firewall---and McAfee did not block that, or even ask me if
    I wanted to block that.

15. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

hey, why don't we go back and try to do the Norton "virus catcher" thing which didn't work a day or so ago ??

16. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Ok, the firewal isn't an issue. Memokit isn't an issue. NetZero is nolonger an issue. Looks like IE is no longer an issue. Lets gets a Java VM installed on your computer. Goto Java.com click on the Orange Button that says Java Software Download under GET THE LATEST IN JAVA TECHNOLOGY. If it installed you will see an animated scene in the middle of the screen. Let me know if that doesn't work

17. Shadow_Puter_Dude

After we get the Java VM installed and enabled.

18. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I took a break

should I have saved 7 Zip to start, progames, rather tha to the folder Trojans, etc ?? or is it OK to save 7-Zip to both folders ??
    --I don't know if it matters to save a program to two (2) different folders

the only programs, so far, installed in all this (re anti-virus, trojan, etc stuff)
    are Lavasoft, CCleaner, and Spybot-Search & Destroy

19. Shadow_Puter_Dude

That's all that needs to be installed at this point.

If you installed 7-Zip then there wil be a shortcut for it in the Start Menu.

Have you tried to install the Java VM yet?

20. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

geez, to download, and install, all that Java stuff takes "several minutes" ??
    how about "several hours" ?? I'm already up to around 12,000,0000 bytes
    received

oh, I just read your most recent posting--am "plugging away" re that download (or "downstall" ??) , and install (or installing of multiple downloads)

21. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The Java Runtime is 15.2Mb. So, it will take a little while. Once that is downloaded and installed need to make sure it is enabled in IE6. In IE6 goto Tools -> Internet Options, Internet Options will open click on the Advanced tab scroll down to Java(Sun) make sure the Use JRE.... Box is checked, click Apply, then click OK. Close Internet Explorer. May require a system restart.

22. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

Re your 2nd to last posting---

start menu ?? I see (I guess in that menu) programs, favorites, documents, etc but no shortcut

also, I see (re start, programs) a 7-Zip icon (and name), and when I make thsat blue two (2) items pop up, ie 7-Zip filemanager, and 7-Zip help, but I don't see any Z-Zip shortcut

---I'll do the IE6 check immediately after I post this
    ---I haven't seen any animated scene yet---so far as I know ONLY some installation wizard (for the java stuff) has been installed, but, of course,
    so far as I know the java stuff requested has been downloaded---at what point in "this process" was that animated scene supposed to show/come up ??

23. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

on my desktop (of my desktop PC) I have an internet explorer icon,
    and when I click on that what comes up is "my yahoo" and its window--------------hmmm-----HMMM

hitting start, programs, a drop down menu comes up---when I click on
    internet explorer (in that menu) ALSO "my yahoo", and its window, pops up --------hmmm, (or "hmmmm squared")

how DOES one get to IE6, and after that to click on tools ??

perhaps I also re-named some OTHER wrong stuff with some OTHER wrong name ("on a distant planet a long time ago") ???

24. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I never ever (or knowingly never ever) use Internet Explorer
    ---I don't even know if using Internet Explorer would be MORE useful than the "tools" I've already been using, and if I'm correct on that WHY should I even knowingly use Internet Explorer ???

simple stuff for me re PCs---e mailing, saving e mails, downloading some web stuff, saving some web stuff, and LOTS of scanning in stuff (eg, newspaper articles, tax returns, etc), and printing out stuff---communication device
    (with low costs), and a BIG filing cabinet, that's mostly "me and this PC"

25. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

am hitting the sack---it's around 1:30 AM EST

26. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

if I go to C, programs, internet explorer (folder), and right click I see

22.8 MB, 95 files, 7 folders, MS DOS name INTERN wiggle1, create date unknown, and re attributes none of the five (5) boxes are checked

if I left click on the internet explorer folder (within programs, within C) I see six (6) folders, and about twenty (20) files---one (1) of those files is named "IE4 DLL"---does that stand for IE 4, rather than IE 6 ???

27. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

if I go to system information I see IE 5.6.0.2800.1106

does that stand for IE 4, or IE 5, or IE 5.5, or IE 6 ???

28. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 6.00.2800.1106
    Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A

When you start NetZero the browser it opens by default is IE6. On the top menu bar goto Tools -> Internet Options, Internet Options will open click on the Advanced tab scroll down to Java(Sun) make sure the Use JRE.... Box is checked, click Apply, then click OK.

Unless you have installed a different web browser and made it the default browser you are using IE by default. Internet Explorer is the web browser installed with all Windows versions since 98.

All the folders and icons you see in Start -> Programs are shortcuts, and when you install a program on windows shortcuts by default are created in this location C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu. Programs by default are placed in C:\Program Files. Documents by default are placed in C:\My Documents. This is the case with few exceptions. This is the case with all Win9x systems WinXP is slightly different.

29. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

must shortly go out for a few hours

but why, when I click on the internet explofer shortcut, on my desktop
    or in the startup menu, does "my yahoo" pop up ??

and why does attributes have no boxes checked (re the internet explorer
    folder within programs, within C) ?? and what is the file IE4 DLL ??
    ---shouldn't that file be named (by others) IE6 DLL ??

30. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Your 'Home Page' is set to that for some reason. You can change the Home Page by doing the following: Tools -> Internet Options, Internet Options will open to the General tab click on Use Current under Home Page to set the current web page as your Home Page.

That dll is named correctly, and if the attributes have no boxes checked then they are supposed to be that way.

31. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

Internet Explorer 6 service pack 1 6.00.2800.1106
    "identically equals" IE 5.6.0.2800.1106 ???????

32. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Your ok, system is added a 5. at the front of the version for some reason.

33. internetcleaningtool

internetcleaningtool Private E-2

$35 dollars is ok but we gotta pay more in
    the uk, around $70 last time i checked

[EDIT]If you have software you would like considered for inclusion here at MG please contact the owners via the 'submit news' link on our main page majorgeeks.com so they may take it under consideration.[/EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2005
  34. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Thank You Abbey Sue. I wasn't going to as nice. :)

35. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

LOL..anytime:) For future reference just report the post if you see something like this and we will take care of it ASAP....saves you from blowing your top;) and gets it out of the forum that much quicker. After all..we can't have things here that haven't passed the Tim/Jim test now can we?:D

36. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I understand fully. I been working this thread for a while, don't need eigenvalueconfused by a post that has nothing to do with his problems.

37. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I'm back

"home page" ?? I turn on the PC, I see a bunch of icons on the desktop (of the desktop PC), and I don't see any "home page"---I click on start, I don't see any "home page" listed---I click on programs (re the prior list), and I don't see any shortcuts to "home page"---I bring up C drive (thru "My Computer", and I had left that, or put that, as an icon on my dektop (of my desktop PC), and a list of stuff on/in the C drive comes up, and I don't see any "home page" folder

how does one get to "home page" ??

almost EVERYTHING I bring up has "tools" in a horizontal bar at the top---just click on ANY of those "tools", and then click on "internet options", etc etc ??

no "animated scene" has shown up, yet, re that recent download, and install (I hope) of that java material

why don't I just DELETE that internet explorer icon (on my desktop, of my desktop PC), and DELETE internet explorer (shortcut ??) on that drop down thing/menu which comes up AFTER I click on "start", and THEN click on "programs" ? -----would such "two (2) deletes" hurt anything ??

38. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I missed this earlier CPQDIAG.EXE is the Compaq Diagnostics for Windows you can go ahead and unblock this in your firewall.

39. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

Abbey Sue--you've got "eyes" almost as pretty as those of Elizabeth Taylor
    ---AND why don't you do a search on the word "Lighthill" (famous British, deceased, fluid dynamicist) ?? such (such a search) would occupy some of your time

40. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

Compaq ?? OK, I'll unblock that---

---geez, my warranty (re this Compaq desktop PC) expired maybe four (4) years ago---I can't figure out WHY they would want to e mail (??) me some diagnostic material (unless they wanted to sell me something)

but, all in all, this Compaq machine has proved to be a VERY worthwhile investment

41. Shadow_Puter_Dude

'Home Page' is not a program. 'Home Page' is the website your browser loads by default when you start the browser.

DO NOT delete the IE icon on your desktop.

Please stop 'surfing' around your harddrive looking for the things I told you to do. You are going to delete something you shouldn't, and then you are going to have bigger problems.

Now do this:

Right Click on the Internet Explorer Icon on your desktop

Click on Properties on the menu

Internet Options will open

click on the Advanced tab

scroll down to Java(Sun) make sure the Use JRE.... Box is checked

click Apply

click OK

42. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

and I should have added (below) "in a world of less than perfect PC hardware, and PC software"

43. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

followed all your steps--the "use JRE etc" box was already checked
    ---there is no "apply" box there----there is a "restore defaults" box, and an "OK" box, and a "cancel" box

44. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Good.

Now back to Java.com

If the Java VM is working correctly a video on the web page will play after a few seconds. Look at the Splinter Cell picture.

45. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

I see (for example)

Java dot com cool pics
    Java dot com showcase
    "you've got the latest" etc
    free from get powered logo
    Java dot com future
    E mail newsletter
    "never buy a CD with----"

I don't see "video on the web page" playing (??)
    ---is that a "dancing" (??), or moving, video of
    something ??

46. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Java dot com showcase, did the picute under it animate, play a short video game sequence from Tom Clancy's Splitter Cell?

47. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

re that "advanced" page, do I click on "OK", or "restore defaults", or "cancel" ??

that page is "hanging in limbo" right now

under showcase is shown a guy with a gun, a pretty girl, and a guy with
    a weird haircut, and some ad for "get chrome"---and none of those people are moving (in "video fashion")

48. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Just click cancel. We'll forget about the picture animating thing.

Go ahead and do the Norton.

Click Start under Virus Detection. Answer 'Yes' or 'Ok' to any pop-ups should only be two.

49. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

clink "cancel" on the "advanced" page, or click "X" (inn the upper right hand corner) on the Java page, or both ???

50. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Cancel on the advanced page and you can close the Java page.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds