Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vast41, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

No. Not under the Security tab, under the General tab.

When you right-click the file/folder and select properties the first thing that comes up should be the General tab (you shouldn't have to click anything), look at the very bottom, under Attributes, and see if there is an option that say's Security. There might be a button across from it that say's Unblock.

Steve

2. Vast41

Vast41 Private First Class

No Steve the security tab is up top, no secuirty anything near attributes.

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. It's a puzzler.

Steve

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Oh yeah, you might be right about the SpySweeper thing. I came across it and a couple other programs when searching. SpySweeper, ZoneAlarm and some kind of backup program, Moxy or something like that.

Steve

5. Vast41

Steve i deleted both Zone Alarm and Spysweeper, so those are not the culprit.

6. Vast41

I guess thats all you guys have for me, i was sure we would solve it together :-(

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

The only other thing I can think of is maybe some details on the file. I know you are hesitant to go into specifics but any kind of info you can share might help. Someone may know something.

Steve

8. Vast41

Matacumbie your the best man, I solved the issue, when I downloaded the file, I scanned the file with AVG a Virus was shown but I ignored it and I did not take any action against the file, I let it be. Apparently it did something not allowing me to access it. I didn't know how to disable AVG other then, going through System Configuration Utility, so I uninstalled it, and guess what it works now. Now my question is, can I reinstall AVG if I want to keep running this file? It's really not harmful to my machine, but I am gonna check with some experts on that shortly. So in recapping, I could not get this file to run with the exception of running it in safe mode which meant some file in normal mode was preventing the execution of this file, it basically was a process of elimination. I uninstalled the following AVG Free Edition, Spysweeper, and Zone Alarm, but it was AVG Free Edition that was the culprit.

I wanna shout out the following and thank you Very, Very much, Matacumbie AKA Steve and Prometheos you two stayed with me the whole time. I wanna thank Hipster Doofus,Lowan,Technaut and even Chaslang who didn't post here but whom I help will assist me when I enter his area of expertise shortly with my next question. Thanks to you all.

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Fantastic. I am so glad you got it figured out. Good job. :)

I'm glad to see you plan on posting in the Malware Forum. Those guy's are real expert's and will get it straightened out for you, they will also be better qualified to answer those questions about reinstalling AVG and using the file.

Good luck my friend.

Steve

10. ShawnIverson

ShawnIverson Private E-2

11. Percy Katrack

Percy Katrack Private E-2

Hello,
    I had the same problem for quite some time and just like others went on this site and others to see if there was a solution but unfortunately found none.
    I even did system restore to more than a month. Changed my secondary drive to primary as I do a clone every fortnight but the error persisted.
    I started to think about all the changes I had made on my PC in the last month.
    Ultimately I managed to solve my problem but the solution may not apply to everyone or perhaps even to none BUT it did solve my problem - sure and certain.
    I am using BitDefender Antivirus and had changed the Antispyware protection level from Default to Aggressive a few weeks ago.
    Changing it back to Default solved my problem.
    I no longer have the error.

Just wanted to share it as I myself was in a pickle.

Hope it helps someone.

12. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I found this thread in a "Search", but not sure whether I should start a new post or resurrect this one as correct "procedure".

Am having the same issue (Error Message) noted in the Subject Line above with XP HOME (2002 version). I AM the Admin., running Zone Alarm Security Suite, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, WinPatrol, McAfee Site Advisor (for Firefox). All of these programs are "Freeware" versions except for the ZA Suite. I have both Firefox & IE7 Browsers, but currently leaning more toward IE7 due to issues (repetitive error message) with Firefox.

What I was trying to download (what precipated my posting here) was/is Google Earth.

Secondarily, and I realize I may need to start a new post on this but, when I go to User Accounts, there is an "User Account" for:
    "ASP.NET
    Machine A ...
    Limited Account
    Password Protected"
    ... can anyone tell me what the heck this IS?? I sure as heck don't recall creating it! IS it something 'generated' from these ".net Framework" (1.0, [1.1?], 2.0, 3.0 etc.) programs/downloads from Microsoft that I still don't really understand?

Thanks in advance,
    g ...

13. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

~*UPDATE*~

Was able to download Google Earth through Firefox (apparently even in "Safe Mode" - it appears).

I am still VERY curious about this 'ghost' User Account I mentioned though.

Thx just the same.
    g ...

14. zombienation

zombienation Private E-2

15. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Please ask your question again - re-phrase it if you can - or perhaps even better - start a NEW POST. I don't know what exactly you're trying to ask - and as no one else has responded, I doubt if anyone else does either.

g

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds