Windows messenger launches when I start MSN

Discussion in 'Software' started by Solange, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Hello! :)

I have a small problem with MSN. About every 5th time or so that I start the program (I start it manually, it is not set to start at startup of computer) the Windows Installer kicks in and pretends to install MSN. It creates a new shortcut in the start menu (that can be deleted, MSN will start using the old icon, and changing icon and using the new one does not help either).

I am running the latest version of MSN. This has had no effect though, I have had this problem with MSN for years. I run it on XP pro SP2. Upon OS install I always remove the annoyance Windows Messenger using the following RUN command: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

I don't know if that has anything to do with this though. I have tried running some searches on the internet to find a solution, but got so many non related hits I gave up and thought I'd ask here if someone knows what is wrong! :)

Can this be fixed somehow? Or shall I just accept the fact that MSN is terrible? :D

Thank you very much for any help you can give me! :)

2. abri

abri MajorGeek

Hi Solange :)

The title of your thread is Windows messenger launches, but in your message, you mention that MSN tries to reinstall itself. Which icon is it that is coming back in? The MSN Messenger? Windows Messenger? Of course, true to Microsoft, they made them look alike. If it's the Windows messenger that keeps trying to reinstall itself, try the MG tool and see if that does anything:

Disable/Remove Windows Messenger

3. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Blast! I am such a nitwit! Yes, the title of the thread should have been that Windows INSTALLER launches when I start MSN... Grrr! Don't even have a better excuse than it was morning and I hadn't finished my first cup of tea yet... Blast, my post doesn't make much sense at all now!

It is MSN that runs the installer (even though the proggie is already installed) and it is the MSN icon that comes back. I have already removed Windows Messenger, and I was wondering if it could have been my method of removing it that causes the problems with MSN.

Sorry for the confusion, and thank you abri for trying to make some sense out of me! :)

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

about a year ago i had the same problem this is what worked for me it came from MS on the help line.

click Start/all programs/windows Messenger
    on TOOLS click OPTIONS
    on the preference tab uncheck "run widows messenger when windows starts up" box
    uncheck "allow windows messenger to run in the background"
    then click OK and close file menu.

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds