Windows Xp Will Not Go Past Loading Screen, Only Boots In Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StupidGamer, Dec 21, 2022.

1. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

Hey, so I have a Windows XP computer. Yes, I'm using Windows XP, been wanting to use it as a retro computer or whatever. I have a problem where it's completely stuck at the loading screen (example below), I've tried multiple things online, I've checked if the ram is loose and it isn't, tried reinstalling Windows multiple times and even replaced the hard drive because it was failing before and nothing I've tried works. Been thinking that it was the bios, the date was set wrong and I changed that back, even replaced the battery and it still won't work. The only thing that works is safe mode and I really don't know why. Before when I did set up Windows and it finished installing, it worked completely fine until I restarted my computer

I'm using an HP Pavilion (a1547c model) that has Windows XP Media Center Edition from 2005

bootup60.png

2. Anon-e88bcb5f0b

Anon-e88bcb5f0b Anonymized

What does that mean? What happened before, when you restarted your computer?

3. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

When I finished installing Windows, it would go to the desktop and everything would work fine. Until I restart my computer, it would be at that loading screen and it won't load Windows at all

Why I said "before" is because I tried reinstalling Windows again

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Let's check the RAM for bad bits. You're probably going to need a CD-ROM for this. If you nab a CD-RW, you'll come to find it's quite useful. Especially when running legacy stuff. You can format them LOTS of times...

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/memtest86.html

5. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

I have some rewriteable discs, I'll try it later and I'll update you on what happens

6. the mekanic

Sounds good.

Any red during the scan is bad.

7. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

It passed

20221222_145759.jpg

8. the mekanic

I usually do a few passes just to be sure, but it's old and why stress it out.

Since you can boot into Safe Mode, you could try HDSentinel next just to be sure about the drive even though you replaced it. Should install to XP np.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hard_disk_sentinel.html

Or, you can try DBAN to wipe the disk and then do a clean install after you've thoroughly deleted the MBR. If you're confident the drive is OK, go directly to DBAN as you don't have to save anything so why mess with DOS prompt and fixmbr commands...

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dariks_boot_and_nuke.html

9. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

I'll try that, I'm going to have to get a new mouse for it though. The old mouse and keyboard died. I'll update you when I do it

10. the mekanic

Sounds like a plan. Usually a Windows format doesn't rewrite the MBR, so if it's corrupt you'll just keep having the same problem. The only real way to eliminate the MBR is to have a completely clean disk. I pulled an old Dell XPS 8300 off the scrap pile many moons ago. Come to find out it was tossed because of a rootkit. Scorched the drive with zeros, Windows reinstall, and it still runs like a top to this day except for occasionally reseating the RAM.

Also, have you considered virtual machines?

StupidGamer likes this.
  11. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

Oh cool, and yeah I have used virtual machines. I could make a windows xp vm, but it's kind of not the same as actually using an old computer. I'll try the programs you suggested and completely reset the hard drive

the mekanic likes this.
  12. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

Hey dude, I completely forgot about this. Sorry that I haven't responded in a while. Also, my mouse works completely fine, it was just a bad port. Anyway, I tried hard disk sentinel and it says that my hard drive's health is at "91%". Do you think it's alright?

20230117_125548.jpg

13. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I'd also wonder about other BIOS settings since the date was reset and you changed the battery. Safe mode loads the minium, so it is something that is trying to load in normal boot session, so here is something to try I found:

If windows hangs at the loading screen it is probably hung on a custom driver. If you can get in safe mode, great, run msconfig and under "BOOT.INI" select the option "/NOGUIBOOT" under boot options and restart. You should see a list of drivers being loaded instead of the normal Windows logo. When it freezes, take note of what driver is trying to be loaded, then use google to look it up. It most likely corresponds to a third party program that you should uninstall.

the mekanic and StupidGamer like this.
  14. the mekanic

The only thing that gives me pause is the Stop/Start count.

That drive appears to have been rebooted A LOT. The count doubling the days, OK. But the Stop/Start exceeds the operational days by nearly a factor of 28.:eek:

StupidGamer likes this.
  15. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

WOAH, I never noticed that

Also by the way, I tried Darik's Boot and Nuke and completely wiped the drive. I tried installing windows again and now IT WORKS. It boots up completely fine to the desktop now

Thank you so much for helping me fix this, I felt like I would never find a solution. I looked at multiple threads and videos about this for HOURS and I couldn't find anything on how to fix it

the mekanic likes this.
  16. StupidGamer

StupidGamer Private E-2

Alright so I'm coming back to this forum because I still have the same problem. When I said that I installed windows again, I installed regular windows xp because I wanted to try to see if it works instead of windows xp media center edition and it does. But for some reason when I install windows xp media center edition, it never boots up. Was thinking it was the iso I was using and I found a restore cd for my computer online, but even that didn't work. Just wanted to say also that I don't have the original recovery partition for this computer, I don't have the original windows install. I deleted it a long time ago because I didn't know about it, I really wish I kept it. I did replace my hard drive because it was failing, so it doesn't really matter I guess. Anyway, when I install regular windows xp, it boots up fine, I even installed vista and that works (service pack 2 by the way not RTM) but xp media center edition doesn't work at all. Don't know why it wouldn't work because my computer came with windows xp media center edition 2005 and even has a product key for it, but for some reason it just will not boot up. Before when I installed windows xp media center edition before my hard drive was failing, it worked fine. Really don't know why it doesn't work now. When I did try to install xp media center edition before after I installed regular windows xp, I used DBAN and that still didn't work. I really don't know what to do and don't know why my computer is still doing this. Maybe there's something in the install that's wrong? I don't know

Also, that stop/start count is crazy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds