Winter has come. :-/

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Nov 14, 2014.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Wow Muskie, I know I would love watching that weather but with a large glass of mulled wine in hand!

although not great if you need supplies.

2. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, you guys do like all tat wilderness shiet, don't you?...:p

3. DavidGP

Well I like it and so much so after mentioning it earlier I remembered we have a few bottles of it left over from xmas, so having a glass or two now ;) really warming as you heat it up.

Just a subtle one I think.

4. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I shoveled my porch, and then moved on to the sidewalk. Did half the sidewalk, and then shoveled the porch again. Did the rest of the sidewalk, and then shoveled the porch again. Dug out the mailbox, and the shoveled the sidewalks and porch again. And then said to heck with it and went to work. The snow stopped hours ago, but it's blowing so bad (sustained 26mph with gusts to 36mph when I left the house four hours ago) the drifts are forming while you watch.

I am done with winter. Done, I say!

Luckily, once I leave the arena tonight at midnight I don't have to go anywhere again until Tuesday.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

It is a balmy 70 degrees here. I guess we paid our global cooling/global warming/ climate crisis bill in the south. :cool:-D

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Can't sleep, it's 4 AM, the temperature is -24C and windchill is -39C

That is 11F and windchill is -39F

Hubby got robbed yesterday afternoon so that's why I can't sleep, not even with a sleep tablet.:cry.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

BRR, 36 degrees here, with a high around 50 degrees. Dog is curled up on his couch shivering after a trip outside. :-D

Hope your husband was not hurt, 'things' can be replaced. :major

8. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Hope your husband is ok, Oma.

Wind chill was around -15F here. Actual temperature hovered around 7F (26C / 13.8C). Not got a lot of snow here yet this year, thank goodness. Still a ways to go till spring, though.

Musksnipe, I envy you. I live on a corner, so I got side walks . . . big wide ones. I hate shoveling snow . . . guess I need to have more kids lol

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  9. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Oma, I'm so sorry! I hope all ended up well and eventually you can both get some decent sleep again.

Musksnipe, I don't live in the city, so I don't have sidewalks like you're thinking. But I do have sidewalks between my house and the rest of the world that need to be shoveled, or I can't go anywhere or do anything. Plus, this year I have a mother using a walker because she had hip replacement a month ago, and as opposed to when I was on crutches repeatedly (three of the last five winters) I'm keeping the walks clear for their entire width instead of the single shovel-width she did for me. I know how much it sucks to have to side-step when you've got something broken and there isn't enough room to walk facing forward.

It's very, very bad for dogs to go outside with unprotected feet in this weather! If you don't have booties for them, put some Vaseline on their paws before they go out. It'll help protect them and prevent frostbite, which is a very real possibility in these temperatures.

It's warmer than they said it was going to be today! Only -5F (-21C) with a wind chill of -17F (-28C). Luckily, all I have to do today is take out the trash later, but then it's back into the house under a pile of blankets until Tuesday night.

10. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Sorry! Can't imagine what you and your husband must be feeling now! This experience has to be disheartening and a huge determinant to your feelings of safety and well being. Wish you and your husband well.

11. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you all for the well wishes. My hubby luckily didn't get hurt. A crazy woman stole his necklace which he got from his mother just before her passing away so that cannot be replaced. She also wanted his ring that I gave him in the sixties. It's a complicate and real strange story in what happened. There were also 2 men in a car involved. I called the police and they will call us back for a full report some time this week. My daughter heard about some stories about it some time ago. I really hope that the police will get them. http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/07/york-regional-police-warn-of-distraction-thefts

PS: I can't reply in a normal way to get my own post as when I tick the reply button, I get a previous post in it. Don't know what is happening here.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

13. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

What a shameful plug for lenient gun laws. :-D
    They could have been carrying, specially the crew in the car! :p

Craps, oma! Good to know the hubby is not hurt. :)

Cheers..

14. oma

oma MajorGeek

That lady followed him in the car, and since the drivers window was open, she pushed her *dead* Papa's (fake) jewellery around my hubbys neck and at the same time removed my hubbys necklace. Then she wanted to take off my hubbys ring to replace it with a fake ring she carried also with her and at that point my hubby shouted forcefully, GET OUT numerous times. She left and their getaway car went off in a jiffy. See, the parking lot was full and they had parked the car just in front of my hubbys car so he couldn't drive off until they were gone.

She kept on repeating that the jewellery belonged to her dead father and that her dead father had told her to give his (fake) jewellery to a man who looked like him. SHE WAS EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE! She followed him to the car and stuck her body through the open window to get at my hubby.

After they left, hubby felt his neck and noticed that his own necklace was gone. They are EXPERTS, see link I posted.

The police is very interested in catching them.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  15. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks sikvik. That's what my husband said.

16. oma

oma MajorGeek

Temp = -22C and windchill is -34C

Temp -7F and whindchill is -29F

Inside nice and toasty.

17. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Ok, called up MHI, service to clean out the HVACS. Going touch 30C soon.
    Cheers..

18. DavidGP

Hahahahahahaa funniest thing I've seen for ages Muskie

19. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

roflmao

10 pages of weather talk.

Well, it is beyond crazy frigid here and rather awful. Right now it is 2 degrees Fahrenheit (-16 C). The outlook for the week is below freezing every day with a chance of below freezing. Oh, and the icing is the snow we are supposed to get tonight.

20. DavidGP

Yeah Laura, its amazing what we will latch onto and talk about for weeks! Interesting though to read about others weather and how it affects them. Currently just a little chilly here but we have pretty much escaped any bad weather or snow.

Although I'm having another week off work so no real plans on leaving the house :)

21. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

We're having a heat wave! Last night it got down to -12F, wind chill -35F (-24C, -37C), but right now it's a positively balmy 1F with a wind chill of just -1F (-17C, -18C). :-D

Their bad luck is everyone's bad luck. A frightening majority of our food comes from California, and it's not growing. Reservoirs are at about 1/4 capacity, and in addition to the food and water situation the lack of snow in the mountains has all but killed the skiing/snowboarding tourist industries.

Sorry...I know you were being facetious. But it's a HBT for me. I spend an awful lot of time in northern California.

Someone sent me that video last year, and I must have watched it a million times, laughing like a loon every single time! LOL

22. Anon-9aee479f8f

We got 9" of snow in the last 12 hours and it is still snowing. They say we could get 12". May not seem like much to the people in Michigan, Boston, or New York but this is south of the Mason Dickson Line.

23. LauraR

It's 15°F right now, but we had a pretty sunrise this morning after a bit of snow last night. Hubby out snow blowing the driveway.

Attached Files:

24. DavidGP

Looks very Christmas cardy Laura.

25. LauraR

haha...maybe I'll put it on a postcard next year, Dave. I'm just trying to think positive during our stupid frigid below freezing weather. The sun has been out...that is about it, but that's big, because normally its grey and dreary here during the winter.

26. DavidGP

Yeah same normally here as well, no snow to speak of but sunny and freezing.

27. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It got warm! It's 19F with a wind chill of just 10F (-7C, -12C). Of course, that means it's warm enough again to snow, so it's a tradeoff.

Nothing is going to stop my Mardi Gras celebration, however. I convinced my bartender a few years ago to play along, so it's like we have our own little bright spot of decadence all the way up here in the frozen north. :-D

28. Anon-9aee479f8f

I have tried to upload snow pictures repeatedly but keep getting a failed to upload message.:( Bummer! So anyway, the snow stopped at 10" yesterday and no more snow in the forecast.:)

29. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Mine kept failing too, and then I figured out my new phone takes way better pictures than the upload conversion will allow. The only way I can get pictures to upload here now is to open them in Paint and then resize to 25%, then resave them as something else.

30. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks Sgt Tibbs, that worked.:) I usually don't need to resize my pictures to upload here so I did not even think to check that. ;)

Snow 2/16/15.

Attached Files:

31. DavidGP

Wow katkat, thats some snowfall.

32. Anon-9aee479f8f

After the snow plow cleared the roads yesterday we had a 3 foot hump at the end of the driveway. On Sunday they said no more snow in the forecast then yesterday they changed that. Last night and we got a little more than a inch. Now they are saying we will get either more snow or freezing rain Friday night or Saturday morning. So winter continues!:(

33. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Personally, I love that people are still jumping out of windows into snowbanks! LOL When my sister was in college (up at Ferris State, in Big Rapids), we used to call those "Burt Rolls" after her friend Jimmy Burt. Open the second-floor dorm window, hop down off the edge of the sill, and then roll all the way to the bottom. It was fun! :-D Of course, the snow piles were maybe 6 feet below the window ledge of a second-floor dorm window.

I haven't been able to tell if it's still snowing or not. The sun's out, but the wind is pretty wicked and has been blowing so much snow off the roof I've periodically been unable to see the neighbour's house across the road. I think we only got about 4 inches last night, though.

And katkat, yeah...that's a lot of snow all at once no matter where you live. But it's especially bad for anywhere south!

34. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

The sun came out and the wind stopped! :-D

First one is my back yard, second two are my front yard.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      100.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      101.2 KB
      Views:
  35. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Exactly. This is all lake effect. And that one band that stretches over to GR? Right over my house. :( They've plowed my driveway twice so far today.

Not that we're unique...anyone who lives near a large body of water gets it. Buffalo is even more screwed than we are...at least the wind comes across Lake Michigan in a wide swath, where theirs comes down the entire length of Lake Erie and dumps in one concentrated area.

Attached Files:

36. Anon-9aee479f8f

The temp is -6F with Wind Chill of -12F right now :( and if...IF...IF we are lucky it may rise to 8F today.:) Suppose to warm up enough for a little snow tomorrow and rain on Saturday.
    Even Florida is cold and a chance of freezing the orange crops.:( Can it be Spring already!;)

37. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I haven't seen a plow on the road, either. We pay a service to do our driveway. Today I shall shovel walks. At least we're in a warming trend, albeit 20ish degrees below normal.

38. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I didn't say it *was* warm, just that we're in a warming trend! roflmao Normal temperature for about now is 34F. LOL

Attached Files:

39. Anon-9aee479f8f

Not my pictures, just made me chuckle. I mean what kid has not had this idea and result when making a snowman?LOL

Attached Files:

40. Phantom

What is this winter thing y'all keep on about??..:p

41. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Katkat, that's fabulous! My niece's kids made a snowman the other day and the dog ate it. True story! :-D

Can I come to your house? LOL

It's supposed to be -15F or some crap tonight. About an hour north of me is currently -25F. Without wind chill.

42. DavidGP

Don't know if you'd want too as AUS is about to be hit if not already by this HERE in some parts

43. LauraR

roflmao...did you notice the dog pee on the bottom one? That's just sad.

We are finally getting about freezing temps today!!:hyper

44. Phantom

Sure, but it's going to be 91 f, today, lol!;)
    Don't listen to Dave. That Cyclone is in Queensland and I'm in the west, about 3,500 miles away. It's like saying you should be worried about a Hurricane in Texas, in Washington state, lol!:p

We don't get Autumn and Spring much anymore, just one long Summer - BAH!!:(

@ Kat:- The last Snowman I built was 30 years ago in Sweden. Took me all day to make it, it did! Then I went away to git me camera and some drunken Louts peed all over it and stuck beer bottles and cigs. in him - Sad!:(
    @ Laura:- Are you sure that's human wee-wee?- Har!:p

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  45. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

71 F as of noon in Tucson.

46. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

In my perfect world the temperature would never go below 50F or above 100F, so that's perfect! I'll pack my bags. ;) :-D

I've just been working essentially outside for the last four hours. It's currently 5F with a wind chill of -2F. I can't feel my face. :(

47. Anon-9aee479f8f

My comfort temputure range is more like 50F to 85F.
    Today the wind chill is suppose to get down to -10 to 15 F. :(Burrrr!!

@Laura ;) Sad but still made me chuckle.LOL
    @ Phantom all that work and then something like that happens. :( darn it

48. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

That would not in the least surprise me. It was brutal!! The way the Lyon Street loading dock at DeVos faces, wind comes in off the river, down the alley, and straight into the building. There's no getting away from it. We could see our breath all the way to the stage.

49. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

There are strange white things falling from the sky. Is this the 'snow' you people talk about? My God people around here cannot drive. It took me 2 freaking hours in traffic to go 18 blocks... :confused

You folks up north might get a kick out of this: http://www.knoe.com/home/headlines/...visory-and-road-closure-update-293710881.html

More than half the town is shut down. Damn global cooling, global warming, climate crisis! :-D

Guvnor has declared a state of emergency.

50. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The runs at the grocery store are the best! We are supposed to have highs in the 40's Tuesday, so this stuff should go away.

OMG! Ice! :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds