Winter has come. :-/

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Nov 14, 2014.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Freakin' wood pile is covered in snow!!

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Oh Lord, a landberg would shut down the state for a month at least! :-D

Still sleeting here. Going to be an interesting trip to work in the AM. Love my front wheel drive Camry.

Got to ask, is that bus for future strippers? :cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPBIOLkGync I am bad NSFW

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

We can stop breaking records any time now. Luckily I get to work at the arena the rest of the week, and while the dock isn't warm by any stretch of the imagination at least it's relatively closed except when people or trucks are going in and out.

Thankfully I was snug in bed under a pile of blankets when we hit our record low last night of -10F. With any luck at all that'll be true for the several other records we're supposed to break this week.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Monroe is pretty much shut down. But we have a job that has to get done today, so I am going to try to get into town. Love my front wheel drive, no way I could make it in my old truck!

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

A little OT, but who makes sure Snopes is accurate? :-D

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Quick search shows a few places saying they are liberal/democratic biased. Snopes is run by a couple, so how can they be considered 'the truth' in all things? They do seem to be pretty accurate. I usually get good info with a simple google search.

7. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

You know what would be really neat? NOT setting records for lowest high temperature *and* lowest low temperature repeatedly, day after day, without end.

Yesterday I could feel each and every screw and plate in my feet as individual little spikes of ice. Last night I held hand warmers to my face for almost 15 minutes before I could feel my cheeks. Today I wore three shirts, two sweatshirts, a hoodie, and my winter coat. I only removed the outer three layers even while working, and never did unwrap my scarf.

I am done with this. DONE, I say! :crybaby

8. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

What you people must think when I snivel and whine about temps in the 50s :-D

9. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It makes me giggle! LOL

What I can't stand are the folks from South who insist that their ice and snow is different from ours, so we have no idea what they're going through. Um... what? :confused

10. Bob D.

I remember San Diego 1968, it snowed .

11. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Ice is ice and snow is snow! ;)The big difference is in the south the road crews are not equipped to handle it. Interstates and Parkways are cleared first then US Highways. It takes a while to get to State Highways and even longer to get to County Roads. Now throw in drivers who are not use to driving on slick roads and you have big problems. Oh... and there is a lot of whining.LOL

12. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

That's exactly how it works here. With equal whining and people who forget how to drive every year. My neighbourhood gets plowed on average 36-48 hours after a storm because we're not in a high traffic area. The difference is, we just sigh and go on with our lives as opposed to running around in a panic like Chicken Little.

I've had more than one person tell me, "But we get ice and you get snow! Ice is different from snow and it's much more dangerous!" Because, you know, we don't get ice here. Snow doesn't melt and freeze and stuff. Never. rolleyes

13. Anon-9aee479f8f

If they predict 1" to 2" snow people run to the grocery for the "Grocery Run"rolleyes, which means the grocery is quickly out of milk, bread, potato chips, soda, all the things to make a pot of chili, and toilet paper. LOL. Like they will never get to the grocery ever again. Never mind the Weather Forecaster said possible accumulation and most likely would melt by noon the next day.:confused

14. Bob D.

1968 was the year I graduated high school.

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Geez I was 2yrs old then! Bob you are the grandfather of the forum :major

16. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I was -3! LOL

17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hahahahaha cannot even call you a youngun!

18. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

LoL! I think I was about nine, back then. Yea, I am ancient as well. Meh!:(
    Now, and for the next week :- Late 20's(c) to high 30's, max., and mid teens for min. Not bad weather if the humidity doesn't kill ya.

19. TimW

Running out of firewood:mad:

20. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I went outside this morning and thought to myself, "Wow! It's really warm out!" And then I looked at my phone, which tells me it's all of 14F. rolleyes

21. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Our winter was pretty mild until Feb. came. It seems like Feb was like "oh wait, it's supposed to be winter!!" and we've had a snowstorm every weekend since. Right now, we are in the midst of an snow/ice storm and at this point, I'm so done with winter.

22. Phantom

24 deg.C and warm. One of those legendary Aussie days, for a while, anyway, LoL!

I got sun-burned on Saturday, and look like boiled Lobster! :-D

23. TimW

68 F on Tuesday, 33 F and snow on Wednesday. Gezzzz.........:(

24. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Especially for you...

Cape Town today (Tuesday) 103°F.

25. TimW

aarrgggh!!!!

26. Anon-9aee479f8f

Weather Forecast for tomorrow, rain turning to freezing rain, then possible 8" to 10" snow accumulation.:(

27. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

We had the snow on Monday, then the freezing rain on Tuesday, and today it's almost 30 degrees for the first time in what feels like a year! Later I'm going out to see if I can find cement on the porch and walks again, or failing that, at least get some salt on the several feet of black ice I nearly died walking across twice yesterday. I haven't looked at the forecast because I don't want to ruin my optimism. ;)

28. TimW

Rain turned to sleet and they closed all the schools for tomorrow. Wimps.

29. Anon-9aee479f8f

After the freezing rain it started snowing here around 3pm and it has not stopped. So yeah, no school tomorrow and I figure no school Friday also.

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Was in the 80's today, dropping down to 31 or so in the AM! Damn Global Warming! And we might get some freeing rain/sleet/snow.

31. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Just have to make it a few more days, and then maybe my eyelashes will stop freezing together when I walk out the door...

Attached Files:

32. Anon-9aee479f8f

Finally quit snowing about 7am. Have not been out to measure but TV reports are between 12"-16" here and just 20 miles down the road they say it is 20" or more. :( So let's just say a lot of snow! Next week they say it will warm up to mid 40s.:) Just a few more weeks of winter. Yeah!

33. Anon-9aee479f8f

Oh my! LOL

Attached Files:

34. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

LOL I hate when that happens! A friend posted this the other day...

Attached Files:

35. Anon-9aee479f8f

36. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

hahah...I like those images. LOL

We are getting a bunch of snow here. They said 4-6 originally, but it's at 6 now and still coming. I think they upped our amount to the higher end of the scale. :-/

Here's my sister's dog in the snow...he is staying with me at the moment and seems to love it.

Attached Files:

37. Anon-9aee479f8f

Looks like my video disappeared. Oh well it was a parody of Jac Brown Band song about cold weather and southerners not dealing with it as well as northerners.:p

Cute dog Laura.

38. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

LMFAO, video worked for me. Love it! We had some serious sleet, but the sun came out, and we had a great day at work! Doing a little work for one of my favorite beverage makers, in a heated shop. ;)

And yeah, they closed the schools today, and most of the gubment offices. Hmm, now that might not be a bad thing. :-D

39. Phantom

@ Laura. your dog looks like a rabbit, or an 'Ewok' from Star Wars, Lol!:-D

40. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Damn you Global Cooling, Warming, ahh, Climate Crisis! :-D

41. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

hahaha! That's my sister's dog, but I agree! As did a bunch of people when she put it up on her facebook account.:-D

42. Bob D.

:-d :-d

Attached Files:

43. Phantom

It's gone 10:00 p.m. and I'm still hot and sweaty. And having just bidding the lady good-night, I'm hotter, still, har!.:p

@ Musk. The Chameleons yeah,...the Chameleons,...;)LOL

And yup, it's a Stone Squirrel, lol!

44. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I was outside for about 10 minutes straight today without my coat zipped and not wearing a scarf, hat, or gloves!!! :dancer

I refuse to look at the forecast. I'm going to accept this incredibly warm, sunny day (currently 40F with a wind chill of 28F) as the gift that it is and enjoy the fact that I actually got out of work early enough to see it. :-D

45. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Someone said - Opps just looked at the wall clock. It's off by an hour? Someone forgot about the time change.-

Clocks change ... seasons change

What happens where you people are when all this snow melts? Hope you'se on higher ground.

Just saw a roof collapse on news but it wasn't snow. Maybe a bunch of college kids on a roof when it gave way! But there has been roof collapsings with all this snow. The weather gives you people a double or triple whammy seems.

Did a project here where the wall studs where cut short and not screwed and on conference with the architect - from winsconsin- he said it was to allow for snow load? In FLORIDA?

Hope you have a welcome spring coming in !!

46. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Yeah, we mostly just deal with the floods. My house is on a hill so we're always fine, but downtown gets interesting. Two years ago was the "100 year flood", made national news and everything. These pictures aren't mine (I stole them from the local paper), but they show how much water we had. This year shouldn't be anything like that bad, but there will be flooding. Always is.

I'm just waiting for the constant melt-freeze-melt-freeze to finally stop...my porch and sidewalk between the house and garage is a walk of death! LOL

Attached Files:

47. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Those pictures remind me of an ole Johnny Cash tune - How high's the water Mama?

The fish in the window one I can see the reflection of someone standing on the dry side. Must be a well built structure to hold back the force of that water.!

48. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Yup, pictures taken from inside offices along the river, where work continues as usual. Some water in basements, but WAY less than you'd think. The retaining wall holds back a lot, and the buildings themselves are built to withstand apparently a 100 year flood. :-D

49. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I find it very difficult to believe Boston got less than 8 feet of snow in two months.

50. Phantom

31C/87f and fine, (again). This is our Autumn, lately. As in the last few years. Aaaahhh!:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds