XP Boot Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Dec 18, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well I had to go back and look (because my head feels like it's spinning faster than a hard drive with all of this now), but yes, it appears that-that is what I did, based on a recommendation from another site.

I do know at some point I burned a Password changer/eraser disk, and also an XP Recovery Console disk, but it looks like at that point (the 2nd post in this thread) I was using the original XP Install disk, yes.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you got to the step of

2. Enter Load Identifier
    This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.

Did you type in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition?

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well, again I looked-back through the posts, as I don't recall what I did at that step now (seems like so long ago)...I do recall at one point it seems that I was up to having 4 or 5 "copies" (for lack of a better word) of the OS...one was indeed "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition", but I also had one named the same without "Microsoft" at the beginning (in other words, just "Windows XP Home Edition"), one ended-up being named simply; "1", and I think there were one or two others...

4. tgell

You might want to try your steps in post#2 again and see what happens. Just remember that you have to type the commands at the C:\ prompt. So when you get to the prompt from the recovery console of C:\Windows type in

CD..

Which will then get you to C:\

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Certainly worth a try, I suppose...but I have to warn ya though, I may need further instruction - believe it or not.

If I have ANY doubt whatsoever with this sort of stuff, I usually freeze these days, simply based-on previous experiences of having "assumed" something - and having assumed something WRONGLY...and then ended-up with more problems than I started-out with in the first place......

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

And see...already, I am re-reading your fairly simple and straightforward instructions, and having questions/doubts/whatever...

I suppose if I stop worrying for a second, and simply just L00K at what you wrote ... I want to go to (get to) the command prompt screen...then, I'm looking for (looking to see) "C:\Windows", then, I simply type "cd"?

Is that correct, and if so, then what might happen or what might I want to do next, after that please?

7. tgell

You have to type CD..

That is two periods after the CD. No spaces between D and the periods.

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Perfectly crucial information...thank you, heading to the other PC (in another room here), now.

9. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I am so sorry...I need to be perfectly clear, because when I get in front of that other computer, I will have doubts/2nd guesses/etc. (even WITH the notes I just wrote-down to take there with me).

I will type: CD.. at/when I get to: "2. Enter Load Identifier" - is that correct, please?

10. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

dont want to interupt but attached is a copy of a freedos ntfs4dos boot writer. might help to recover files before you format makes things hgarder then just a format reinstall but here you are if you need help just ask.

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks, but I don't think your attachment made it...?

12. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

I had to move to files to another zip the zip was too big totL 2.5MB LIMIT OF 2MB
    UNZIP TO THE SAME FOLDER AND INSTALL THE PROGRAME WILL LAUNCH A BOOT CD MAKER MAKE A BOOT CD AND THEN BOOT THE OTHER PC TO IT AND FIND MY DOCUMENTS AND BACKTHEM UP TO A FLASH DRIVE OR TRANSFER THEM to another pc or just find the pics inside the file folders you want and transfer them to the flash drive.

Attached Files:

13. tgell

You do the CD.. as soon as you get the C:\Windows prompt.

Then you type in bootcfg /rebuild (space between bootcfg and /)

# When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:
    Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    # You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
    Enter Load Identifier
    This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
    # You receive a message that is similar to the following:
    Enter OS Load options
    When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Here is a page that explains everything in detail. I am signing off until tomorrow.
    http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/

Only do the /fastdetect command . Do not use the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN command.

14. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Beautiful - thank you very much...this is going to take me awhile, because I just can't rush through these things ... I have to take my time if I am going to make sure that I get it right, so thank you again, and please just know that it's going to take me "awhile"...

Glenn......

15. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for a wasted day. I had a lot going on and a bit of trouble running through a reinstall on an old PC. I had forgotten I was running off a video card and had a devil of a time installing drivers.

Despite the problems at this point I think adding a second installation of XP might be a viable solution to get your data files safely saved and either fix your current installation or write it off for good.

I'm not sure what tgell is thinking on the fastdetect switch but if you need help completing those steps, I will be happy to help.

16. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi, and no problem - no explanation needed...I am just not sure (haha - shocking, eh?) just what it is - exactly - that I am doing now...

Not sure now if I am doing these things together (from posts of three different people, currently), in tandem, or if they are all sort of the same thing - or if these are completely differing sorts of things or what - exactly - but I am trying to read everything over, and take it all in, and make some sort of sense of it all now, so...that/this, is where I am at ............?

PS*EDIT - the attachments that "PattyandMe" sent though, seem like a good thing to have ... I guess?

17. sach2

pattyandme is trying to help you save your data. NTSF4DOS is a command line program and I think you may have trouble navigating it. I think the second install of XP will accomplish the same goal in a more familiar format.

I think tgell is thinking that the /fastdetect switch in your boot.ini might resolve the bad driver problem by ignoring it. I'm not certain that it will make a difference. We used the bootcfg /rebuild command and it should have added the /fastdetect switch but it couldn't hurt to do it again. Or check the boot.ini by using the type C:\boot.ini command.

Adding a second install of XP will take about an hour (just for the install). Then we have to get drivers and updates.

I'd say let's check the boot.ini for fastdetect and decide whether or not to do the install tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT: you can use the type C:\boot.ini command at any prompt. Look at the first line under [Operating Systems] see if it ends in /fastdetect

18. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I apologize, I fell asleep right here at the PC...I think I better pick it up tomorrow, though todays trip that was postponed "may" be tomorrow - depends on the weather - thank you for all your help, and again, sorry I fell asleep......

Well, I'm awake again now...sort of.

I look at tgell's instructions, and he's talking about typing "CD.." at a prompt, but if I understand you correctly, you're saying that he's telling me to do this --> "type C:\boot.ini"?

I am soooooo unbelievably confused, and frustrated

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  19. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, I think I understand better, now re-reading your edit...I will try that ("type C:\boot.ini" ) at any prompt... (with "type" being the beginning part of that...I think......

20. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

This is insane.

I look at the link tgell provided http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/ and there is just a LOT of information there (for me, anyway) ... too much to swallow tonight, much less digest.

Then, I also see that he said: "Enter Load Identifier
    This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition." - which I do not do. I typed, "1", because that was the only option which presented itself (I "think" [?] you helped me arrange for that?).

Then he goes-on to say: "# (!?!?!?!) You receive a message that is similar to the following:
    Enter OS Load options
    When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
    " and

"Only do the /fastdetect command . Do not use the /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN command." <-- which I "get" ... I understand this.

So, as far as what to do right now...? I'm lost ... completely guessing...I really (once again) don't have a clue.......................................

PS*EDIT* oh yeah, then there's the whole: "CD.." thing.

I don't know what I'm doing now...much less what "order" to do them in.

21. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok...now I see what you were saying, but no, the second line (under [operating systems]) ends with"Fastdetect", but not the first line.

The second line does end with "Fastdetect".

22. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

You should be able too copy the files you want to a flash drive in safe mode in the command prompt with the file copy command

XCOPY C:\Documents and Settings\Mark and Patty\My Documents\My Pictures + H:\my pictures

where H is the drive letter for the flash drive

do you know where the files are located on the hard drive in mydocuments and my pictures folder?

23. sach2

Ok, I value tgell's researching skills. If he thinks that making sure fastdetect is active is important then we should go ahead and do one more bootcfg /rebuild before proceeding.

You are in Recovery Console. You have a "C:\Windows>" prompt.

Then you type in bootcfg /rebuild (space between bootcfg and /) <enter>

You will see:
    Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
    [1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    type in the word yes <enter>
    You will see:
    Enter Load Identifier
    type in XP New
    You will see:
    Enter OS Load options
    type in /fastdetect and then press ENTER. [The / preceding fastdetect is the one on the question mark key]

24. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

Just xcopy the files to a flash drive and the fromat the drive and reinstall windows

25. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I apologize, but no, actually, I don't have a clue...? *EDIT* - OH, if you are asking where they "WERE", yes, they WERE (are?) in My Pictures, and now that you mention it, I would like to save some documents from that folder (that were/are in the My Documents folder) also).

Well, I forget now whether I got into the Recovery Console from Safe Mode last night before I went to bed...I got to where I got to, then simply turned-off the monitor, thinking I could pick-up where I left-off much faster and more easily.

I do have a brand new, still in the pkg 2GB Flash Drive. I emphasize "brand new" as I have this sneaking suspicion the thumb drive that I used earlier in this thread may have been corrupt or has a virus or something (??).

I'm really not sure what to do next, as I am not sure if I'm in safe mode right now, and would prefer to wait for someone to come -along here and advise me rather than going back out and trying to get back to where I am and to get back to this point in safe mode (though again, I "may" be in safe now...not sure if there's a way to tell that or not?

26. tgell

@grc123,
    I agree with sach2 that you may have difficulty negotiating the command line for file transfers. I would also take his advice and do a parallel install. Get the data and then do a clean install. I am handing back advice to him. As they say, too many cooks spoil the pot. :)

27. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Understood and appreciated...I realize I'm not too bright when it comes to this stuff (don't have the aptitude for it...rather, the type of aptitude required for it), and believe me, that "Major Geek" label or whatever next to my user name should not be there. I just happened to have stumbled across this site some years ago, and the more questions I asked (the more problems I had/have) the more elevated that "rank" became. They should have named me - "Private Problem" (or ProblemS - plural) - or something such as that haha.

Thanks again for your help and yes, I was feeling a bit pushed and pulled here with more than one or two folks "stirring the pot".

g...(<-- does not stand for "geek"!).

28. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

safe mode is windows screen you can navagate through the start mene in it.
    the recovery console is more like a dos screen.

and using xcopy is as simple as what you saw .

navagate to the mydocuments folder in safe mode if you can then select and copy the address in the windows address bar .

open the command prompt.

type cd and then right click and select paste in the command window.

type xcopy then right click paste again

then add a space after that by pressing the space bar.

type "h:\" ( h would be the drive letter asigned to your flash drive)

then enter

all the folders and files in mydocuments will be saved to the flash drive.
    unfourtuitly there probubly wont be enough room on the flash drive .

so you may have to navagate ferther into the mydocuments folder

XCOPY C:\Documents and Settings\Mark and Patty\My Documents\My Pictures h:\

would copy all the files and sub folders in mypictures folder

XCOPY C:\Documents and Settings\Mark and Patty\My Documents\My Pictures\My eBooks

would copy all the folders and files in my ebooks folder......

seems to me hes been trying to do this for 3 days and still has no solution this is a solution even when you get a 2nd install of windows you still will have to format and reinstall again

29. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Actually I am quite familiar with the F8 key (at boot) and now also with Recovery Console.

It is "xcopy" that I have no knowledge,understanding or experience with (when you say; "as simple as I saw", well, I'm not sure that I saw it or if i saw it yet?.

I'm trying to read what both you and sach2 are saying here, separately/individually and in combination with each other.

Am trying to figure-out all that I'm being asked to do - more specifically, trying to figure-out the "order" in which I am supposed to do it.....

30. sach2

Good morning.

Hi, pattyandme. We can't get to safe mode after trying to install the graphics driver. We are locked out of any mode. Recovery Console is the only option. Your NTFS4DOS disc would be helpful but it is command mode which is proving difficult. I think the second install will give us more options while preserving data including the option to follow your above instructions.

grc123, I agree with pattyandme that we should just try to get this going. Let's try the second install and then see where we are and what data you have on the HD that you want to keep.

You will be starting with the Dell CD marked Operating System so get that ready and let me know what you are thinking.

31. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

this is all you can do with the recovery console........

Copy
    Copies a single file to another location. The copy command with the parameters listed below is only available when you are using the Recovery Console. The copy command with different parameters is available from the command prompt.

copy source [destination]

Parameters

source

Specifies the location and name of the file to be copied. Source can consist of a drive letter and colon, a directory name, a file name, or a combination.

destination

Specifies the location and name of a file or set of files to which you want to copy. Destination can consist of a drive letter and colon, a folder name, a file name, or a combination.

The source may be removable media, any directory within the system directories of the current Windows installation, the root of any drive, the local installation sources, or the Cmdcons directory.
    The destination may be any of the same locations as the source except removable media. If a destination is not specified, it defaults to the current directory.
    A compressed file from the Windows Installation CD is decompressed as it is copied.
    Copy does not support wildcard characters

32. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

G'morning all...

I have all disks ready to go (beginning with the Dell CD marked "Operating System"), and I am thinking lets forge-ahead...I really hope to have this PC back to operational level in the next day or two...absolutely need it by the end of month, or else I'll need to buy a new machine of some sort or other (and I was really trying to avoid that, at least for a few more months, that's why I initiated this thread...otherwise I would have just bought a machine, because after all, this 8-9 year-old Dell is only going to last so-much longer anyway - especially at the rate I'm going with it).

I'm going to look-over pattyandme's last message (the one after your post) to get a better idea of what he is speaking about, and so that I am as looped-in as possible with the entire process........

Thanks folks!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  33. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

just means you would have to copy 1 file at a time 1 picture at a time....
    as xcopy is not supported by the recovery console too bad you cant get to the command prompt.

you wont have to buy another pc reinstalling windows is nothing very simple process.

The hard part is recovering the files you would like to keep.

34. sach2

I'll give instructions for the added XP here, since it takes 45 minutes for the install. [I did this multiple times yesterday]

Start from the Dell Operating System CD. [Let me know the Service Pack which should be written on the CD]

<Enter> to start Setup.
    F8 to Accept license.
    <Esc key> for Don't Repair
    <Enter> to Setup on C: partition
    C to Continue
    <Enter> to Leave current files intact
    <Esc key> to Use different folder
    It will show /WINDOWS. You will add a "2" to the name so the name becomes /WINDOWS2
    <enter>
    It will copy files. When it restarts do not press any key if it asks to boot from CD. You want it to boot from HD. It will go through the whole install process and after about 10 minutes you will have to set Time Zone and pick a user name. Then it will continue for about 30 minutes.

This process will not format your HD so your data will still be there when done.

35. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I can't thank you enough for all of your help here (everyone here), but it's time to move-on...whether I can retain/save data or not, it's time to button-up (put to rest) this thread.

There are really only a few pics, and a few docs, that I was really interesting in saving - but none of them are critical, earth-shaking or anything of the sort...just would have been nice...a nice thought, but I think I'm simply going to have to write `em off.

If nothing else, I will SURELY learn to be more careful with what I run/do with my machines from THIS whole incident!

I'm ready for the next instruction whenever anyone is ready to give it - thanks...

36. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, I'm just seeing this...please give me about 10 minutes to grab a bite (haven't eaten today), and I will be all in (if I don't eat, we will have much more trouble with me concentrating)................

37. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

38. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

FYI, I AM back now...reading through the last post here, and doing my best to move forward...I will post back here as soon as I progress and/or have any questions......

39. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, sorry, is it sach2's post #234 or pattyandme's post #237 which I should be concentrating-on/performing first, please?

40. sach2

I really think that trying to recover pics in recovery console will be too much for you to do comfortably. We are not deleting your pictures. Just begin the install in my post #234 it will be the best option for you in the long run.

41. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok thanks - I'll do it (post #234) now......

42. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Oh, and I think (am 99.9% sure) that we were on XP "Service Pack 3" (I think you were asking me about that, correct?).

43. sach2

Let me know if any screens don't appear as stated in that post. Or if you are unsure how to proceed at any step.

I was asking what is printed on the DELL OS installation disk. It should state the service pack. It is probably SP1.

44. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Will do and yes, the XP install disk is from 2002 - I am sure it's SP1, but I will double check......

45. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Believe it or not, no mention of any "Service Pack" on the CD, but then I think XP had only been out for about six months at that point (?).

Question #1. I am to begin tthis whole new process in Safe Mode (plain-old regular Safe Mode), correct?

46. sach2

You are booting from the Dell OS installation disc.

47. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, it's all jumbled in my head at the moment...but when I sit in front of that PC, I will be following your directions to the letter - no problem following the directions, just have to ask questions before I proceed some times.

Lastly, before I proceed, near the end of post #234, you said: "It will copy files. When it restarts do not press any key if it asks to boot from CD. You want it to boot from HD."

I had recently changed the BIOS to start from CDROM (1st)...is this going to be a conflict with the process? Otherwise, I can/will follow your directions to the letter.

48. sach2

No you can leave BIOS set to CD. I am just saying that you will only boot to the CD once when you first start the process. Once the process begins, if it should restart and ask if you to press any key to boot from CD then you do not press any key at that time and it will continue to boot from the HD.

Here is a guide with pictures but for simplicity's sake follow my instructions.

49. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Got it - thanks.

I am here (@ this point, waiting now)--> the name becomes /WINDOWS2
    <enter> (I added the "2", hit <enter> and it is copying
    It will copy files. When it restarts do not press any key if it asks to boot from CD. You want it to boot from HD. It will go through the whole install process and after about 10 minutes you will have to set Time Zone and pick a user name. Then it will continue for about 30 minutes.

50. sach2

Looks good. So it will restart after copying files (It will say something about removing anything in the A: drive before restarting but you can just ignore that message). After it restarts you don't hit any key to boot from CD because you do not want to boot from CD but you leave the CD in the tray.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds