Yay for me.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Radiofool, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Radiofool

Radiofool Private First Class

Oh yeah.. oh yeah..

I purchased 128mb of memory from ebay for £6.50 and now my P2 266 has 196mb of memory!

ROCK ON!

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Wehey!

... does it work? ;)

3. Radiofool

well yeah!

I swear this computer is gonna be so old that its gonna be worth some money soon.

;)

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Really? Thats cool, coz ive got an ANTIQUE PII system with 256MB ram (maxed out, yeah!) complete with ancient ATi Rage Pro AGP card (woooow, almost new technology!!).... and a Sound Blaster card. Yep, thats right, just sound blaster. ISA. Dont have a case, but meh! I could make a rocking retro system outta that junk :p

5. Radiofool

Well, i'm running Sound Blaster AWE 64, and a STB Velocity128 with (wait for it, 4mb!)

Tell you what though, if you don't need the bits.. Fancy throwing me a coupl'a memory cards?

Y'know, to ensure the survival of the species..

:D

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Hehe, maybe, depends whether I find a use for them any time soon. If I decide they're useless I'll be sure to tell you :)

My friend has a pretty awful system. Also 4MB graphics, but not all 4MB works properly so its been limited!! Original Sound Blaster was teh b0mb... if you like boinky game sounds :p .

What you got running on that? I sure hope its not XP, which my other (rather unforunatley) friend is doing on his double speed overclocked PII :p

7. Radiofool

Windows 2000 Pro.. Works fine. Much more happy now that it has a little more memory. Don't have to wait 20 seconds for it to bring up IE.. heh.

Overclocking.. hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that.

-evil grin appearing on face-

8. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

My most prized possesion, a 75 mhz SPARCStation 20 with 128mb of RAM running openbsd 2.6, it ain't that bad ;)

9. Radiofool

Heh. Well, on a different strain, i have a fully functioning Amiga 500+ upstairs. Running 1MB Ram. That was hot. Played some fantastic games. Hmm. Anybody know of any decent Amiga emulators out there?

10. F18delta

F18delta Private E-2

Does having access to an old digital word processor count? You know the kind that booted from a 10.5 inch floppy? And only did word processing?!?

11. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

I remember robo posted something about an Amiga thing here once. You may be able to search for it...

12. Robster12

13. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

I've used 8" floppies, but never heard of a 10.5. What was the capacity of those, and what all used them?

14. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

I don't understand how the purchasing of memory works.
    Do you download it and it automatically goes onto your computer?
    Do you buy it in a store and put it in your computer somehow?

:confused:

15. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Ram, physical memory, is a row of chips on a small skinny circuit board. You buy it & plug it onto your motherboard.

16. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

WOW! I used to have an Amiga 1200... that was wicked! I got the memory upgrade too (from 512k to 1,024k), and it had the capacity to have an internal hard drive as well ... I never managed to find one though.

My grandad still has a 500+, with external hard drive, like a whole 8MB or somthing.. lol... uses it to play games and such, on an old monitor. The games still rock :D I used to have like a massive box of games too, all on floppies, some of the game had lots of floppies.

You can still download amiga applcations from aminet .. you need the extractor though, i forget what its called. lha? somthing like that. You need to run it from the Workbench console. Ahh, yes, workbench! The greatest OS every created :p Where the icons can be as small or big as you like! lol! I remember having Quarterback Disk Tools (used to fix floppies) and the icon for it was MASSIVE!

Check out some wicked demos made for the Amiga HERE from Breakpoint 2004. Its quite amazing what you can do with Amigas..

17. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

Is the motherboard inside of the computer, so would you have to take your computer apart to put in more memory?

Or....?

18. acejones

acejones A Different Title

yes and yes

19. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

Take it apart?

awwww man.

Can you take your computer to computer stores and they'll do it for you?

20. acejones

yeah...but what fun is that?

you can make it look like this

Attached Files:

21. acejones

btw...the gold board in the background is the motherboard...all the components of your computer are somehow connected to this board.

and this is what my memory looks like (the skinny blue stick):

Attached Files:

22. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ahh, heat spreaders :D I got me some of then... look wickedy cool :D probably don't do any good in actually cooling the chips, but hey, I don't care... they're shiny :D

23. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

Putting memory in looks/sounds difficult.

24. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Its really not. Its a simple matter of opening the side of the case, taking the memory stick and slotting it in firmly, and putting the retention clips in. Its as simple as that.

25. Robster12

To add RAM to the motherboard is not hard.
    BUT,
    I don't think that anyone has brought up the point of ESD (electro-static-discharge) in this thread. It is the only thing that you have to concern yourself with. A little tiny static shock (one that would never be percieved at all by a human being) is enough to harm these components.
    So,
    To keep from harming them, make sure that you ground yourself when you handle them.
    How?
    Some people say to keep in contact with the computer's power supply unit (PSU), while the computer is plugged in to a surge suppressor (which is turned off) which is in turn plugged into a wall outlet, with a good ground.

Other people go further - using a special inexpensive wrist strap.

Still other people (me)

:rolleyes: ) are totally paranoid about it, and make sure that they are barefoot, on a concrete floor, have a antistatic mat in use, have the humidifier going, and are wearing a minimum of clothing.

...........Sorry for any hurtful visuals, BTW. :D :) :rolleyes:

26. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

oh my eyes.

27. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

That makes me not want to add the RAM myself.

Ahhh.

28. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

... and use an air lock when entering the room, with a transitional air shower, and then use non-conductive gloves when handing components, with anti-static sheilding, and only commence the procedure when the moon is in exact opposition to the earth....

ahem, sorry :p

29. Robster12

Bwhahahahahahahha!!!!!
    :p :p :p :p

You should ALL just be glad that I don't have a digital camera here with which to make some illustrative pics!!!
    :rolleyes:

30. Robster12

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds