Hello

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by FloatingPoint, Jul 11, 2009.

1. FloatingPoint

FloatingPoint Private E-2

Hello everyone, I'm new to Majorgeeks; just stopping by to put in my two cents. I hope I can by of service. :cool

But first I think I need to learn how to type. My typing problem is in my user name. I wanted to type "FloatingPoint" but trped it this was "FloaTINGpOINT". Does anyone know I can fix it? :) Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome to Majorgeeks

Kinda looks neat that way, but give me a minute or so and I can fix that ;)

EDIT: Done

3. FloatingPoint

WOW thats was fast...! Thank you.

Oh, I was trying to help someone and tried to post a reply, but did't have access. Did I miss something in the rules... do I need to have a min post or somethig? :confused I would love to get started helpping people!

4. DavidGP

Hi

No nothing in the rules, I guess you where about to post in the malware removal forum? in that case this area of the forum is locked to only authorised malware removal members and the admin team.

Reason we changed the policy of anyone replying to malware questions was that it became a mess/confusing when multiple users posted their advice and a fair amount of it was wrong and could have made matters worse, as well as others tagging on with comments and their logs saying "I have similar issue" this didnt help the task of removing malware.

Which is why as you will agree its best to have continuity in helping someone remove malware from their PC, as out malware users are trained to follow well used and proven techniques.

If you are a competent Windows user and know a fair bit about malware removals then read this Becoming A Malware Forum Helper

5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Welcome to to the forums FP !

6. FloatingPoint

Thanks, I see... That's a very good policy and I agree. In reading "Becoming A Malware Forum Helper" Thread, I can't say that I'm on another website as an accomplished expert in malware removal. This the first time I wanted to be apart of a team on the internet.

Before, I would just post help replys on other boards. However, I am a Computer Tech/Network Admin that is CompTIA A+ Certified, but don't mind doing your BootCamp.

I aready use two of the programs you have listed "SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes for malware removel I also use RootRepeal for Rootkit detection and removal tool as well as Panda and Secured2k.

If you think I can help, just let me know... If not, then I'll just try and do my part in the other threads. :)

7. DavidGP

Hi

Yes definatly do start with the other parts of the forum as a proven track record in tech help is always good for gauging a users skills, but I have pinged our resident chief malware guru Chaslang and aimed him to this thread.

8. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG FloatingPoint :wave Glad to have you join us... Plenty to learn here... Have a look around ;)

9. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

10. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Welcome to MajorGeeks, FloatingPoint :wave
    Really good of you to offer your time and services. Anyone willing to help us computer brain deads (that's me :wave) has to be thanked. So....thanks. :) Great job the malware fighters here do. :major Feckin' A.

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Normally would say to read a little, learn a little, but after looking at your training, I guess the only learning you need is typing.:-D
    Your own words, not mine.;):wave

12. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Trust you to notice the spelling mistakes ! :-D
    One has to check ones grammar !
    Well last time i checked, my grammar was making tea for her hubby ! :-D

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Hey rusty.
    Didn't look at spelling.Said himself in post 1 that he needs to work on his(her) typing.:p

14. joey off the street

YeAh, HrlOw'S RIght. It'S the TYPiNG thAt@S thE Pr()B1em. I thINK: hE or SHe (F P) coULd hAVE tYp0PHob1A, ANd iT.S quITE INf3cTiOUs, toO.

15. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Welcome FloatingPoint
    I see the others here have made "their":mad point quite clear about Your typing situation. If you continue to stay,(and it sounds very strongly that you are going too ;)), Be quite aware of those who have "typing disabilities":p and you will no longer feel like you are alone!:-D
    Check out the rest of this wonderful place and thank you for volunteering to help those of us less knowledgeable in this field. Enjoy!

16. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes we do need help since we are always so busy, but we do need help from qualified experienced people who have esablished themselves as having the necessary skills, posting styles, communication skills, and ability to be around frequently enough to truly help out.

FloatingPoint,

Thanks for the inquiry. I suggest that you begin by posting in the other Tech Forums to get yourself established here. Malware Fighting requires lots of time and dedication along with knowledge of the Windows OS's and also the tools and procedures used to fight malware. You can start to get background on how we work in the Malware Forum by reading our sticky threads and also reading threads to see how we go about fixing things on a daily basis.

The training sites in the link Halo referred to you are not something that you are going to go thru that quickly. They take many months to complete since there is a lot to learn and it is all performed by volunteers as they have time to respond.

17. FloatingPoint

First, I would like to say thank you very much for all of the wonderful responses. I think if I go a little slower I'll be able to master my typing skills. I think it's a misnomer when people believe that a computer technician is also a great typist. Wrong! :)

I usually look down at the keys and trpe with one or two fingers. By the time I look up and see what I have typed I'm ultimately shocked! I usually say... what's that? But recently I've been getting much better and I'm also able to type longer letters; usually without typing grammatical mistakes or grammar issues. :cool

More to the point, I see what your saying "chaslang" and I'll get used to the forum and try my weight posting in other threads. However, if it's going to take posting in other forum to contribute in that particular thread then I suppose that's not going to happen because I do have other things I'm doing and probably could not support multiple forums.

I will try to help in every way possible and perhaps somewhere down the road to peace you will consider me for more options; but for now, I'll just get used to the way your particular forum operates. Once again, thank you very much and I look forward to a long-standing relationship with all of you. ;)

18. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you mean to say "other forum" or did you mean "other website"? We have many tech forums here at Major Geeks and that is what I'm referring to when I said posting in other forums.

If you have limitations on how much time you have to post then the Malware Forum may not be a place you want to post in as it requires a lot of time and dedication on a frequent basis. I'm not saying we don't want the help, we just need help that can be around frequently and it would be best if there was some experience in malware removal to go along with that.

19. FloatingPoint

I was thinking other website... Oh I understand now that you're talking about this Forum and not other websites. Thank.:)

Still, I'll help out in other threads; I'm happy to ba a part MAJOR GEEKS! :wave

20. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome, FloatingPoint, glad to see you will be sticking around! ;) I am sure you will find plenty to keep you busy, and work that brain! :-D

21. FloatingPoint

Thanks TeeCee! Happy to add my 2cent. :)

22. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And if you're happy to be a part, then we're happy to have you.
    Welcome aboard.

23. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Welcome to the best forums
    Our co-owner, Major Attitude, and our MajorGeeks Forum Administrator, Halo, are both testament of it being the best as they both received the MVP & MSVP Award from Microsoft. And from my understanding Halo is very familiar with receiving their MSVP Awards.Way to go MA & Halo:clap Enjoy the Best.;)Happy to have you.

24. joey off the street

Sorry for being flippant with my response, FP. As others will testify, my humour is very immature sometimes. I wasn't poking fun at your typing skills. Well, I obviously was, but only because I thought you were poking fun at them yourself because I couldn't see much wrong with the typing in your initial post. My spelling and punctuation is usually good, but my 'search and peck' technique is an ambarrassment. :-o So I can talk, eh? Anyway, apologies for being rude. :(

25. FloatingPoint

Hey, joey off the street... No problem. I always make fun of my typing because I can't. Too many times I've looked up and seen a mess and wandered what it was.:)

26. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I'm not so good at typing either.
    Hunt and Peck is my style.(Hunt a letter and peck it.)
    Up to 10 words a minute if they are short words.(an, at, is, the, you get the picture)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds