2 different media players freeze up

Discussion in 'Software' started by beano505, Aug 15, 2006.

1. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

My Windows media player 9 froze up, so I installed RealPlayer, which does the same. I believe my video card is a COMPAL V700 on Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller.
    Computer is Compaq Deskpro EN, running Windows 98 SE
    Any ideas?
    I have heard that Adaptec Easy CD creator does share some drivers with Windows Media Player, and I did uninstall and reinstall this prior to the freeze.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Does this freeze up on starting either of the two apps, or only when playing certain media files. If the later, what files are you playing? Are they located off the internet, the hard drive, cd, or usb device?

3. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

It freezes upon starting Realplayer (in fact I haven't been able to access Realplayer since downloading), but with Windows Mediaplayer, (which was functioning OK previously), it only freezes when I try to play anything.....not when I start it up. The files I was trying to play are on the hard drive, and had played OK before.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

What extensions are they? The media files, that is.

Also, try uninstalling Real, and wmp9, and use wmp8, if this works (or not), then after then uninstall of wmp9, reinstall wmp9. :)

Also, have you downloaded and installed any codec packs recently?

5. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

They are just mpeg files, and worked ok before. And I have never downloaded any codecs, that I know of!

6. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

I still can't play any video on my computer, and although I downloaded a codec pack, when I try to install it, I get a message " The setup WM.EXE file is linked to missing export Kernel 32 DLL: GetSystemWindowsDirectoryW".....so I downloaded Kernel 32DLL......but still can't install the codecs. I would greatly appreciate advice from anyone about this.

7. erikske

erikske Sergeant

You downloaded the Win32 kernel? No way in hell windows will let you replace that file.
    You may have a DirectX problem. Try disabling video hardware acceleration.
    1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click System.
    3. On the Performance tab, click Graphics.
    4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider until it is completely disabled (none).
    Click OK and close all windows, try again.

8. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

Thanks for suggesting this, but it didn't do anything. Previously I had converted back from Media Player 9 to Media Player 7 because I heard that 9 had lots of problems. All that happens when I try to play something in the library is a message saying "media changing" and an hourglass.....but this doesn't change.:rolleyes: (with Media Player 9, it was an hourglass only)
    Any ideas, anyone?

9. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

Still freezing up! I have reinstalled Media Player three times, and same symptoms. It seems to open and I click on 'media library', but when I click on an individual item, I get my cursor staying as an hourglass forever.
    Can anyone suggest other reasons for freezing, please?

10. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

I just discovered that my media player works in "safe mode". Is this an indication that a virus or trojan is causing the freeze-up??

11. Alex Moon

Alex Moon Private E-2

You might want to Google around to find KMPLAYER .. a port-over from
    Linux. I have long since abandoned MPlayer (all versions), 1-by-1, Jukebox,
    and several others. KMPLAYER does it all, and has soooo many more options
    to play with.

12. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

Thanks for mentioning it, but I cannot successfully install it....and someone else on their forum also has the same problem......it seems that certain versions are not compatible with windows 98, which is what I have.

13. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

Help! I just reinstalled Windows Media player 9, but it still doesn't work.
    When I try to install the media codecs, I get a message saying that I have a missing export......kernel32DLL: GetSystemWindowsDirectoryW.
    Any suggestions, anyone?

14. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Downloading VLC player from videolan.org won't solve your conflict problem but it may give you a working player. If it works for the .mpgs then if you google "Real Alternative" and download the program it will it will give you the codecs to play .rm files in VLC or the Media player classic that is included with Real Alternative.

I had a Compaq Presario at the time of the Adaptec problem but the WMP update caused my CDROM drives to disappear from My Computer. Nothing like your error message.

15. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

16. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I downloaded both lots of codecs, but still same old problem. The strange thing is: Windows Media Player does work in Safe Mode. Does this indicate anything?????????

I downloaded the VLC player but still have to figure out how to use it, or transfer files to it from the other player......it is currently blank.

17. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

Oh, great ! I just got VLC working.....for about 15 seconds, then it froze up, and continues to do so whenever I download something with it as my default player.
    Could someone point me in the right direction regarding what the problem might possibly be, please?

18. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Try this download http://www.driverskit.com/dll/wmadmod.dll/3922.html

Media player 9 was having problems with MDR restrictions and the player refusing to play protected files.

If it was playing them before you reinstalled maybe the updated version of 9 is having the problem.

This doesn't explain why Real player was freezing also but it's worth a try.

19. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

(Groan) I still can't get a player to work......probably because I'm a novice.
    VLC media player worked in a limited way for a while, on and off. I've deleted it now, as it was just too frustrating. I have downloaded the DLLs which were suggested in the last post, but am unsure where to put them. They're unzipped and accessible via a shortcut on my desktop.
    Realplayer freezes up in the same way as Windows Media Player, as soon as I click on something in the library. When I shut it down, I can't even get it up again unless I reboot. The strange thing is: It WILL work in Safe Mode.
    Any ideas, anyone???

20. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

21. beano505

beano505 Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion, Birdbath. However although I did this, and there is no change. I also re-downloaded the drivers for my Intel Graphics Controller. These seem to have installed themselves in the appropriate place.....at least I cannot see an icon on the desktop for them. Should I have looked around for them and put them somewhere in the same way as I just did with the DLLs?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds