Adobe Flash Player.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Laurie

Laurie Private E-2

Right you are. That's exactly what happened. I'll certainly avoid doing that again.

2. son13adyy

son13adyy Private E-2

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Flash ESR is at 18.0.0.375 now, note that the current download page (has all the current Flash versions downloads for Windows, Mac and Linux) is about to be pulled and Adobe are pulling the ESR version completely after October 11, 2016. Then you'll be stuck with the sometimes buggy, unstable or crash prone Release version.

Don't think you can get away with using this ESR version for long, MS will soon start blocking 'outdated' Flash ActiveX versions on W7 and it's very likely that Mozilla will be pushed into blocking the plugin version soon after.

4. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Last week I attempted to for the first time download Flash Player from the dreaded new monopoly Adobe source. Maybe I was mistaken and / or naive, but I thought I'd be able to actually ONLY download the Install File ... without having Adobe force feed install it in my system at that time against my wishes.

Since I have Dial Up Internet, I left the download alone for a while. When I returned to check things out later, the download had aborted. I wasn't sure at what point in the download the failure had occurred. So, I tried a new download. This time around I saw it fail at the 48% complete mark and it specified that the "install" failed. What the blazes was it doing trying to INSTALL it? That's not what I wanted. I simply wanted the Install File.

So since as per my interpretation, Adobe attempted to install Flash Player ... if Iwent to use my sister's High Speed Internet to try this Flash Player download ... would Adobe attempt to install Flash Player in my sister's laptop instead of just downloading the Install File?

Is there really REALLY absolutely no other source other than from the dreaded, hated, despised Adobe source from which I can download Flash Player?

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Wherever did you surf to to get it??
    It's here, easy and uncomplicated - just uncheck any offered additional software option. It enables you to download just the set up file for the browser you are using, and options for others:
    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

6. satrow

The normal Adobe page only gives the stub installer, once that's run, it then downloads the software (and the 'optional' stuff if you don't uncheck the boxes).

I use Corrine's SecurityGarden site, all Flash versions are linked from there in full, also the Flash uninstall tool: http://securitygarden.blogspot.co.uk/

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. Chim

Chim Private First Class

@MaxTurner: The 1st attempt was with the stub installer direct from MajorGeeks. Then the 2nd attempt was with pretty much the same link you're providing as I had previously bookmarked it from here on the MajorGeeks forums.

Then last night after reading your comment, I went ahead and went through the motions of trying out your link. I clicked on the link that said - "Do you have a different operating system or browser?" I use Maxthon Cloud 4.9.3.1000. I then selected the Windows 7, Vista, XP category as I have Windows XP SP3 Pro. I then selected FP23 for Opera and Chromium - PPAPI. I deselected the McAfee Security Scan Plus. I clicked on the Download button.

15 minutes later, the progress bar was still at the 5% mark at which it started. No signs of any progress. o_O :mad:

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I have no experience in recent use of Maxthon. I tried it out years ago and didn't like it. It has been subject, this year, to articles about security flaws.
    But that get adobe flash link never fails for me for Firefox, Opera or Chromium. Google Chrome like IE handles Adobe Flash itself.

10. Chim

Chim Private First Class

@satrow: I downloaded the install file from your Corrine's SecurityGarden link last night. However, I held off on trying it last night as I wanted to ask:

(1) Is it legit and SAFE? You know ... given that supposedly / theoretically Adobe wanted to now be the ONLY source anywhere making it available. At least that was my understanding.

(2) I was a bit perplexed. Okay ... the 1st link available there says - "Non-IE Plugin (Opera, Firefox, Etc.)"
    How can that be? How can they lump Opera and Firefox together? As I understood it, Firefox was NPAPI and Opera was PPAPI. Or is that no longer the case? Is there now a new consolidated version that has combined both NPAPI and PPAPI into one Non-IE version?

(3) So is that Jack of All Trades Non-IE Plugin version there the correct version to cover my Maxthon Cloud browser? Would it also really cover Firefox? Not that I ever use Firefox, but I do have it in my Flash Drive for absolute emergencies in case I have to troubleshoot a problem to ascertain whether a problem is with my Maxthon Cloud ... even though I can also first use Opera for that.

11. satrow

Legit, safe and direct from Adobe's servers.

No idea, I don't use Opera/Chrome/IE/Edge, etc.

The non-IE plugin version certainly covers Firefox-type browsers.

What security do you have loaded, in the OS and in your browser(s)?

12. Chim

Chim Private First Class

What do I have loaded in my OS and in my browsers? I take it you mean which versions of Flash Player? Before this recent change by Adobe, I always used to install all 3 versions --- Active-X ... NPAPI ... PPAPI

Right now the 22.0.0.209 version of all 3 of those is what's installed in my desktop.

Well, I'm off to go uninstall those 3 and install that Non-IE Plugin (Opera, Firefox, Etc.) version from SecurityGarden and see how it works. I'll let y'all know if everything is still working properly after that.

13. satrow

The question was about security, perhaps there's *something* stuck that should be offering an option/warning, etc.

14. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Doh! Sorry. I somehow totally missed that word "security" in your question.
    Security ... Real Time all I have installed is the latest version of avast Free, which is 12.3.2280.
    That and the Windows XP Firewall. That's it. No other fancy stuff.

Well, my Maxthon Cloud browser has the Pop Up Blocker enabled. I don't know if THAT would / could possibly be capable of being a problem in this case.

15. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Anyway, I already uninstalled my old 3 instances of Flash Player and installed that Flash Player 23 Non-IE Plugin from SecurityGarden. The verdict? I checked things out with Revo Uninstaller to see what exact version it would see it as. It turns out that Non-IE Plugin Flash Player from SecurityGarden is NPAPI.

Ssss SO, that brings me back to wonder about what I had read / understood all along. That browsers like Opera, Vivaldi and basically all Chromium-based browsers required PPAPI. And that it was Firefox that required NPAPI.

Granted, with right now having ONLY that NPAPI Non-IE Plugin from SecurityGarden installed in my desktop, I conducted a quick test of several websites and so far I didn't see anything wrong. So far I didn't see anything missing that I normally expect to see.

I remember way in the past, I guess back when I had first started using Blink-based Opera, I had started getting messages informing me that there were problems with Flash Player. It was then that I had learned that those error messages were due to Opera requiring PPAPI instead of the then more existent NPAPI.

So far I haven't seen any of that type of messages informing me of problems with Flash Player. I guess time will tell.

Still, it makes me wonder --- I can't believe the PPAPI version just disappeared. Is it possible that it's just a case of whoever is in charge of Corrine's SecurityGarden just not having a complete selection of ALL Flash Player versions that should be made available?

16. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Chim, you are correct with regards to the NPAPI and PPAPI versions of Adobe Flash Player.

For the record...
    Firefox-based browsers (Pale Moon, Waterfox, SeaMonkey, etc.) use the NPAPI version of Flash Player.
    Chromium-based browsers (Google Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, etc.) use the PPAPI version of Flash Player.

Maxthon, like Avant, is based on Internet Explorer and therefor use Flash Player ActiveX. The second link in plodr's post #57 is what you need.
    But, you are using Maxthon Cloud.
    I suggest you ask the Maxthon Community (you are a member :)) just to be sure.

17. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Actually, Eldon, it is my understanding that Maxthon Cloud is a dual engine browser ... Blink and IE. My understanding could be flawed, but as I understood it, in its default state, right out of the box so to speak ... Maxthon Cloud starts out in Blink mode. It can then be changed to IE mode by the user.

It was my understanding that Avant is also that way, dual-engined. Or was it even triple-engined?

Anyway, I already tossed the question to the Maxthon Community regarding whether I should have PPAPI or NPAPI installed for optimum results with my Maxthon browser. I should hopefully get the answer / clarification later today. I'll let y'all know the answer once I get it.

18. satrow

SecurityGarden is a blog, no files are hosted there - just clean security-related links to files hosted on the makers legit. sites and detailed instructions.

Ensure that you don't use the ActiveX version of Flash in any browser, the Windows vulnerabilities that triggered the latest (and other recent) latest Flash patch will still be in XP, it's out of MS' support cycle and they're extremely unlikely to release any more patches for it.

Make sure you don't have any popups blocked in Avast, right-click the icon in the System Tray and select > Show last popup message to check what that was. Also check the logs/quarantine to ensure that it's doing what it should.

19. Eldon

20. plodr

Chrome doesn't need to download flash.
    So there is no link for chrome, chromium or Opera.
    Since Chrome has a much larger share than Chromium or Opera, for the few % of people who use Chromium, Opera or Vivaldi and do not have Chrome installed take the browser to Adobe's site and download the plugin.

21. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Well, no one has replied to my inquiry over at the Maxthon Community yet. But, in conducting a periodic check, I realized there was an "Adobe Flash and Maxthon" thread already there. I read it and pretty much extracted the answer to my question.

Here is the link: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/bug-tracker/general-support/adobe-flash-and-maxthon-r99/

Here is what I interpreted:

(1) For Maxthon versions 4.9.x and later (Which is what I have) --- PPAPI is required.
    (2) For Maxthon versions 4.4.x and earlier --- NNAPI is required.

22. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Which part do you doubt, Eldon? That Maxthon Cloud is dual-engined? Or that it uses Blink by default and that users can then change it to IE? If so, why do you doubt it? What in that link is leading you to doubt whatever it is you're doubting?

The reason I got that understanding of it is because I once asked there at the Maxthon Community what this "Retro" mode setting was for. That's when someone explained it to me about the switching between Blink mode and IE mode depending on if one was having trouble getting certain websites to display correctly. Granted we were talking in Spanish, but I don't think my Spanish is sooo horrible that I totally misunderstood what he said. :D I'll go see if I can hunt down that conversation so that I can review it. If need be, I'll put up an inquiry for a clarification on this.

23. Chim

Chim Private First Class

@Eldon: Here you go, Eldon ... from this link: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/7465-maxthon-cloud-browser-v4-faq/

"What is Maxthon 4?

Maxthon 4 (Cloud Browser) is the newest member of the Maxthon family on PC. Maxthon 4, much like the previous Maxthon 3, has Dual Display Engines, two website rendering states that cover the whole web in two modes: Ultra and Retro. Ultra, which uses Webkit, makes surfing faster for newer, more current websites built to newer standards. Retro, which uses Trident, handles old, outdated and Microsoft IE optimized sites.

Why Dual Display Engines?

Maxthon uses what it calls "Ultra Mode," powered by the WebKit rendering engine, by fault. (They no doubt meant 'default.')

Some older web pages, not written for newer standards are distorted, have features that don't work, don't display at all, or even crash other browsers. Maxthon will automatically recognize these pages and switch to Retro Mode. To display older-style/standard Web pages or websites optimized for Internet Explorer, Maxthon will switch automatically to Retro Mode which is powered by the Trident rendering engine.
    Users are able to switch manually to Retro Mode with a click of a button."

While they mention "WebKit" there, I'm reasonably certain that I have read elsewhere that it is actually now Blink that is used instead of WebKit.

24. Eldon

Blink is a Rendering Engine, Internet Explorer is a Web Browser.
    I fail to understand how you switch a web browser's rendering engine to a web browser.

Also, are we discussing Maxthon Cloud or Maxthon?
    There's very little about the former at the Maxthon Community.

BTW This thread is going completely off topic.
    From post #1.

25. Chim

Chim Private First Class

By IE I meant Trident.

But, never mind. Back on topic.

Eldon likes this.
  26. Eldon

27. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I want to download Adobe FP
    When I go to adobe, and cue download, it puts it in Save, for security purposes.
    I would then "run" the setup, cepin it ain't doing nothing but stare back at me. Don't matter from where where I try the download, I cannot get any response from run.
    Read the comments posted here on this, and now am thoroughly confused.
    I need FP to run Publisher's Clearing House contest and win my 5k$ a week for life.

28. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Trying to download Adobe FP. Tried several sites. Does not matter where the download originates.
    My system "Saves" downloads for security purpose. I would then go to Display Ongoing Downloads, select what I want to download That normally gives me the download and I would in n this case select the Flash Player install exe.
    I get to that, cue it but nothing happens, as in nada.
    Read the postings here on Adobe, and that thoroughly confused me.
    I need FP so I can access Publisher's Clearing House contest and win the $5K a week for life!

29. plodr

What operating system are you using and what browser?

Flash for IE automatically gets updated on Windows 8/8.1 and 10.
    If you are using Chrome, it automatically updates.

For Firefox, it was updated on January 10th:
    Code:
    http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/24.0.0.194/install_flash_player.exe
    Open plugins (tools/addons/plugins) and check if you already have v24.0.0.194 If so, don't download it again. While in there, also check if it says ask to activate (a safe setting - recommended), always activate (avoid this) or never activate (can cause problesm by telling you that you need to install flash).

Eldon likes this.
  30. Trex™

Trex™ Private First Class

As far as I know (and I could be wrong, I'm a bit out of touch) Google Chrome uses its own build in flash player, and therefore is not reliant on the Adobe Flash at all.

31. Eldon

Not true.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Plugins

32. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I do not understand but need to ask, should I keep Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Adobe Flash Player 24 NPAPI?

When I try to play a video on Comcast Homepage it tells me to click to install Flash to play.

33. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Wrong forum thread really but they are two totally different software programs. They are unrelated.
    If you want to watch Flash content on the web, and the page concerned doesn't support HTML 5, then yes you need Adobe Flash Player installed to see it.

34. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you for setting me straight. I read a lot of posts hoping to learn and thought this one hit home.

35. Eldon

36. Eldon

37. LindaP

LindaP Private E-2

38. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Google Chrome (non-Google Chrome browsers do need a plug in),
    Internet Explorer and Edge.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds