Advanced daily health check

Discussion in 'Software' started by psco2007, Jul 11, 2014.

1. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I started using Iobit Uninstaller and was offered the Daily Health Check

It is a trial - 15 days, price upon end of trial is very reasonable.

I tried it and it removed over 9gb from my PC and 4 gb from my laptop.:)

It also removes 2-3 gbs daily - garbage files, etc.

I haven't had any problems since then.

I always use disc cleanup and that never came close to this program.

Anyone tried this program? - Opinions?

http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/daily-health-check/

I would have used a link from MG, but couldn't find one.:(

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , my suggestion is that i am using manually steps :

Start - Run command typing %temp% - ok
    removing all files
    Start - Run command typing temp - ok
    removing all files

* in some cases folders don't remove you have to use this utility

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html

Start - Run command typing cleanmgr - ok
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315246

alternatively you can use this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/temp_file_cleaner.html

i prefer the manual way though :wave

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No not tried this app yet but 2-3GB junk files daily then that's a bit extreme for the average user and I don't have that sort of junk files daily and I test apps all the time so have deleted files and registry junk al the time. So I have to question the 2-3 GBs of junk, what files are they?

Cannot think of any PC that would generate 2-3gbs of junk data daily.

4. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

The easiest way to find out is simply to run the program and it will show you what is has found prior to you allowing it to delete anything.

In my case, the first day I ran it, it found temp files on all browsers, old Restore points, Application leftover files and it amounted to over 9gb.

5. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Like DavidGP, I've used pretty much every system "cleaner" app that I've been able to download. Typical fodder for these apps is:

• Temp files in temp dirs (all users)
    • Temp files with strange extensions, outside of temp dirs
    • Browser caches, cookies, etc.
    • Windows LOG files
    If clean only every couple of days I've typically gotten rid of several hundred MBs at a time. One time the trash slightly exceeded 1 GB using an app called Windows CleanUp. But 9 GBs ! Even 2 to 3 GBs daily is difficult to fathom. I'd be very interested to know what files are making up all of these GBs. You mentioned that the IObits app deletes "Old Restore Points". Not sure why the app would need to do this since Windows is by default configured to delete the oldest restore point each time it creates a new restore point (that is, once the cumulative restore points exceed the user's configured maximum space allowance for restore points).

In any case, if the app is deleting restore points, then it's at least conceivable to believe that the IObits app deletes 2 to 3 GBs per day. The obvious question is this: What happens when you need to utilize restore points to fix your system? And why even bother creating restore points if they're just going to be deleted a few hours later?

If you figure out what constitutes this 2 to 3 GBs of daily garbage, please let us know.

Finally, I wouldn't put it past IObit to simply fabricate those numbers in order to impress potential buyers of their software. They're very good at trumping up the alleged capabilities of their apps.

6. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I can only tell you that my C drive has been decreased from 77gb to 68gb after running the program and I'm very satisfied ( since it is an SSD,I like to keep it no more than 60 % full).

7. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

This is the report from today.

Almost one gb removed.

Attached Files:

8. rustysavage

Thank you for the pic, that's very helpful. As I suspected, the majority of the recovered disk space is from the deletion of restore point(s). You should take a look at how much disk space your system is allotting to keeping restore points and decide if it's right for you.

In Windows Explorer, right click on "Computer" >> Properties >> System Protection menu item >> System Protection tab >> Highlight your SSD >> Configure button.

From there you can use the slider to adjust the amount of space that your system uses for storing restore points. Once it reaches that maximum amount your system starts deleting old restore points to make room for new ones. My guess is that you have it set to store 9 to 10 GBs of restore points and that's how you managed to use the IObit program to delete 8 to 9 GBs on that one occasion.

9. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

This is what it had been set at.

Attached Files:

10. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

This is current check - as you can see, no restore points mentioned.

Still over 1 gb removed.

Attached Files:

11. rustysavage

Strange. According to the program pic that you posted, the sum of the deleted files for that run was approximately 300 MB, yet the program alleges that it deleted over 1 GB. Am I missing something?

12. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

When it shows pic, it doesn't allow to show full screen.

There were other files below- I should have copied both, sorry.

All I can say is that this program gets rid of temp files on all browsers, without me having to go to each one individually.

I posted this program, not to upset anyone else.

I am not suggesting anyone has to use it - that is their choice.

I just ran another scan and will post all files it found - this time 1.76gb.

Over 1gb was recycle bin, but there was still .6gb left.

Attached Files:

13. rustysavage

OK, I just looked at the pic again and noticed that the list of deleted items scrolls down out of view. Next time you run the program, would you scroll down and take another screen shot. I'm very intrigued as to what the program could possibly be deleting. There are the system's temp folders, miscellaneous temp files, and assorted log files... but I can't imagine those making up 700 - 800 MBs.

Shoot, I think I'll just download and install the program. Certainly I think that most people would want to use a program that safely deletes over a full GB of useless files on a daily basis. But I'm not convinced that such a program exists. I let you know what I find when I run the program for myself.

14. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There's something going on here we haven't quite got to the bottom of yet. If Win 7 grew at this rate every day without this program to prevent it from doing so then in a month or two it would double its size or more. I've got Win 7 x64 on a 120GB SSD too and since I set it up in April it hasn't grown at all. Win 7 was 39GB then and today it's 38GB. It goes up and down but has never reached 40GB. One reason for this is that in order to avoid unnecessary writes to the SSD I moved all Windows and browser temp files and log files to HDD but after three months even they are still under 500MB.

I suspect that the program is deleting files which will get deleted anyway, but just sooner, as rusty suggested in relation to sys restore points. OK, that may mean you are permanently a few GB down on what it would be otherwise, but the impression being given that 1GB or more is being saved every day is just not the case as I see it.

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

I see where the app is getting its figures from, generally recycler, system restore to gain the GBs I could not at the time I posted was thinking where daily new junk files, system restore gets to a point when it hits if max allocation and deletes the oldest one, recycler is what would normally be deleted, just on hold until emptied.

That said, if its an app similar to CCleaner that is an all-in-one cleaner then if its working for you then well worth keeping. I take it that the apps not finding and deleting system restore points daily, if it is then I would be careful and let Windows manage the restore points, and 1% setting as you have is ok.

Keeping your PC in tip top condition is great and not knocking you at all in his, I do similar, not daily mind in the case of Sys Restore points, but I do clean temps and internet temps out. However if items are running daily into the few hundred MB range then I would look at fine tuning say your internet cache, make it a lower value for the cache.

If you have a 2nd HDD then keep a small Pagefile on the SSD 50mb and then move the rest to a secondary HDD, don't know what amount of ram you have?

Do you use hibernation on your PC, if not then disable hibernation, will save some space on the SSD to keep you at your 60%

16. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Hi David,

Don't use hibernation.

I've got 5 internal hdds and that's what I do.

I have 16gbs of ram.

Thanks for reply,

Paul

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds