Again And Again? Windows Activation???

Discussion in 'Software' started by drcarl, Jan 7, 2018.

1. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

It seems that every few days or weeks I have to, yet again, activate Windows (Home 64 - free upgrade from 7).

Activation has been completed and fine for a LONG time, now I keep getting the Activate Windows watermark....usually without any error code, yet there is one now: 0xC004F034

Anyone know how I can active once and be done with it?

Do we need an activation macro? lol?

(I re-entered my Windows key some time ago, and ran troubleshooter)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. EJB

EJB Corporal

3. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Really? Many?

I have only viewed and tried a few dozen or so, along with repeating my own frustrating attempts.

For the first 50 activation error days which I finally eventually solved after multiple attempts, (OH kayeee, maybe only 25 separate days - where I had to do it again) there were no error codes. Now there is an error code, but no activation button. Can't click an activation button (per the video you kindly linked me to) if the button is not there.

Some of the other dozens of online posts (that feel like hundreds) I reviewed mention that the Troubleshooting process can be used to fix things. Sometimes that is an option, and sometimes it is not.

Maybe Microsoft servers are busy. Too busy for me anyway. I know, just format and do a clean install. Right.

Well well....I see that the Troublshoot Activation link has reappeared on the activation page. Clicking it successfully activated this copy of Windows.

For now. ..............It. Will. Be. Back. (the "Activate Windows" watermark)

That's why I came HERE. I hope to find someone who actually knows what's up, and how to fix it.

Thanks for trying.

------------------------------------

Before activation, the error message read: "We can't activate Windows on the device right now. You can try activating again later or go the the Store to buy genuine Windows. Error code 0xC004F034

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

5. EJB

EJB Corporal

Sorry drcarl I didn't see where you had mentioned that in your first post!

drcarl likes this.
  6. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

- my bad - I actually am guilty myself of giving the same kind of advice....lol?

EJB likes this.
  7. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Thanks Tim.
    Nice BAT file.

I am assuming that the Repair Tool (reimagerepair) advertised all over the linked page is, um, decoration, and not something you'd necessarily recommend.

When I noticed that it's (re)activate time again today, there was no "Activate" button.
    That page recommends multiple tries at clicking Activate. Kind of hard when it's not there - lol?

After clicking around a bit, I noticed the "troubleshoot" button on the Activate page (sometimes it's MIA)

The troubleshoot button did the trick again this time.

Now I'll go read the page you linked

I remember reading that the Activate Windows issue may simply be that the MSoft servers are not available. Next time I'll try "just wait"-ing. (Those servers are all the way across Puget Sound, I think)

Again, thanks

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  8. TimW

We remove this garbage whenever we see it in malware logs.

drcarl and Eldon like this.
  9. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Have you tried resetting your screen resolution? It could be set too small and the activate button is out of view of your screen.

drcarl likes this.
  10. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Hi. As much as I appreciate the suggestion (like sometimes critical dialog boxes are there - just hiding behing whatever fram is up front), well, that ain't it.

Sometimes the button is there, and sometimes it snot.
    (and I have not changed my New Years resolutions on any of my screens for months)

Thanks anyway...

11. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

You need to contact Microsoft. Did you change motherboards since it was activated last? If so it won't activate until you talk to them.

drcarl likes this.
  12. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Nope. I changed out my HDD for a SSD.

It appears to be activated, like, right now.
    It HAS been activated for a long time.
    I suppose the SSD might be the issue.
    If just waiting for busy MS servers to get free does not do the trick, I'll call 'em.

Thanks

13. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Are you able to show us a snap shot.

By using snipping tool.

14. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Not sure about the Snipping tool. I can make a screen capture, and then doctor it up in Photoshop...next time it happens...maybe... if I have time.
    (I thought I described it pretty clearly)

Right now I am in a big rush - have to go gt rid of some fiat in favor of some crypto. There is a BIG SALE with DEEP discounts going on right now!

15. Anon-469e6fb48c

16. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Here is a screen shot showing what I described: the watermark (lower right), and the settings screen with no activation button as well as no troubleshoot button.

I requested a MS call back which is estimated to happen in about 110 minutes from now.

Screen shot HERE

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  17. Anon-469e6fb48c

In the my computer properties section does it say it's active.

In order to determine the actual state Windows is in, run this command in a elevated command prompt and then paste the contents of report.txt in your reply: report.txt should be on your desktop.

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

drcarl likes this.
  18. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Thanks Mr Coyote...yet, no need now. Call to MS and remote access to wipe out existing licensing key and put in place a new one resolved the issue likely caused by my upgrading my "C:" to a SSD.

Thanks so much everyone!

MG Rocks.

19. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Looks like I spoke too soon.
    After MS remoted in and did some things, activation was OK for a couple of days, until a reboot.
    Same problem appeared.
    Called MS about 5 times to finally get someone I could understand past their fast talking with VERY thick accents.

As I described having called in before and offered the case number I was given, I was warned not to use profanity! I had not used any (that’s not productive) and asked, “what profanity?” – He may have been reading my mind, but I never use profanity with a Customer Service rep trying to help me - that'd be stupid. --he moved on--

Was told that
    --remote access program they use to remote into my computer is under maintenance – call back later, or take verbal help
    Verbal…
    --I must backup my HD
    --I must do a clean install of (Old) Win7 onto my new SSD
    --I must get the free upgrade to Win 10 (I thought that free upgrade was over)
    --I must bring back my data files. Everything else will be lost. All tweaks, customization, desktop icons, etc., gone.

So, I am back here. I went ahead and poked around. No activation button, but there was the intermittent (sometimes there, sometimes not) Activation Troubleshooting button this time. Used it. Activated. Rebooted. OK for now, et for how long?

Ran the file Wile E Coyote shared. Report body pasted below. Thanks.

<DiagReport>
    <LicensingData>
    <ToolVersion>10.0.16299.15</ToolVersion>
    <LicensingStatus>SL_LICENSING_STATUS_LICENSED</LicensingStatus>
    <LicensingStatusReason>0x00000000</LicensingStatusReason>
    <LocalGenuineState>SL_GEN_STATE_IS_GENUINE</LocalGenuineState>
    <LocalGenuineResultP>1</LocalGenuineResultP>
    <LastOnlineGenuineResult></LastOnlineGenuineResult>
    <GraceTimeMinutes>0</GraceTimeMinutes>
    <TotalGraceDays>0</TotalGraceDays>
    <ValidityExpiration></ValidityExpiration>
    <ActivePartialProductKey>RJQ97</ActivePartialProductKey>
    <ActiveProductKeyPid2>00326-10863-02803-AA140</ActiveProductKeyPid2>
    <OSVersion>10.0.16299.2.00010300.0.0.101</OSVersion>
    <ProductName>Windows 10 Home</ProductName>
    <ProcessorArchitecture>x64</ProcessorArchitecture>
    <EditionId>Core</EditionId>
    <BuildLab>16299.rs3_release.170928-1534</BuildLab>
    <TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone>
    <ActiveSkuId>2b1f36bb-c1cd-4306-bf5c-a0367c2d97d8</ActiveSkuId>
    <ActiveSkuDescription>Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL channel</ActiveSkuDescription>
    <ProductUniquenessGroups>55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f</ProductUniquenessGroups>
    <ActiveProductKeyPKeyId>09adfbe1-8410-91a5-04e1-6e5a41c13f95</ActiveProductKeyPKeyId>
    <ActiveProductKeyPidEx>03612-03261-086-302803-00-1033-16299.0000-0242018</ActiveProductKeyPidEx>
    <ActiveProductKeyChannel>Retail</ActiveProductKeyChannel>
    <ActiveVolumeCustomerPid></ActiveVolumeCustomerPid>
    <OfflineInstallationId>410766388784024825324728315143702807444735697436589028203741524</OfflineInstallationId>
    <DomainJoined>false</DomainJoined>
    <ComputerSid>S-1-5-21-2843507736-2835281995-1909691514</ComputerSid>
    <ProductLCID>1033</ProductLCID>
    <UserLCID>1033</UserLCID>
    <SystemLCID>1033</SystemLCID>
    <CodeSigning>SIGNED_INFO_PRS_SIGNED</CodeSigning>
    <ServiceAvailable>true</ServiceAvailable>
    <OemMarkerVersion></OemMarkerVersion>
    <OemId></OemId>
    <OemTableId></OemTableId>
    <OA3ProductKey>0xC004F057</OA3ProductKey>
    <Manufacturer>Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.</Manufacturer>
    <Model>X58A-UD3R</Model>
    <InstallDate>20171104104104.000000-480</InstallDate>
    </LicensingData>
    <HealthCheck>
    <Result>PASS</Result>
    <TamperedItems></TamperedItems>
    </HealthCheck>
    <GenuineAuthz>
    <ServerProps>&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-8&quot;?&gt;&lt;genuineAuthorization xmlns=&quot;http://www.microsoft.com/DRM/SL/GenuineAuthorization/1.0&quot;&gt;&lt;version&gt;1.0&lt;/version&gt;&lt;genuineProperties origin=&quot;sppclient&quot;&gt;&lt;properties&gt;OA3xOriginalProductId=;OA3xOriginalProductKey=;SessionId=LicensingDiag;TimeStampClient=2018-01-30T00:00:50Z&lt;/properties&gt;&lt;signatures&gt;&lt;signature name=&quot;clientLockboxKey&quot; method=&quot;rsa-sha256&quot;&gt;1Tyti0azABTBInHnTk21hiUegqDRNkzETCf533+Uzg7CliKtXB2p6G7cjFJO3Iwc6hD/5a7D4ccvoXepukRCH+IXBOQ9oXz4g3InRaBRmzAZq2+Q2VhsCZpMlljk5Oy734ems4ptlsPI9mLMXRFx4s8+mDIABWuMbpnhZ0h19k4=&lt;/signature&gt;&lt;/signatures&gt;&lt;/genuineProperties&gt;&lt;/genuineAuthorization&gt;</ServerProps>
    </GenuineAuthz>
    </DiagReport>

20. TimW

21. TimW

22. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Done. Set value to "4" from "2" per video, although MS page says default is "0" (enabled) and to change it to "1" (disabled)

Verified by checking Services. It is disabled.

Thanks

23. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Interesting, this process of learning how to use a computer.

Yesterday I failed to notice that there are TWO operations that were shared (TYVM) and that need attention.
    1) Disable Software Protection Service ("SERVICE")
    2) Disable automatic Activation ("ACTIVATION")

Yesterday, I only addressed #1 above, the one in the video, modifying the DWORD for the "Start" from 2 to 4 here:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sppsvc

Boo hoo..."Activate watermark" returned the next day (today) after waking up 'puter from sleep overnight.
    Also, MS Word (by monthly subscription to Office) is now broken.
    I'm offered a "repair now" button, but that just makes Word disappear without fixing anything.

So now, like the true genius I try to pretend that I'm not, I'll do the other step for #2 ("Activation") as well. I'll go here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion \SoftwareProtectionPlatform\Activation
    ...and change the DWORD value from 0 to 1 to disable auto-activation.

BTW - Somehow (Troubleshoot button?) I activated Windows.
    There appeared at one point during troubleshooting a dialog box that said a digital license was found for this machine and that I should go buy Win10 and install it. I'd rather not.

It now says activated with digital license in Settings.
    I am not sure how long Windows will stay activated.

So, now I test. I make changes, restart, and test again.
    ....and log....
    Here are my results

Restore both SERVICE and ACTIVATION to defaults - restart
    Activation: OK. Word: OK.​
    Kill SERVICE - restart
    Activation: OK. Word: rekd​
    Restore SERVICE - restart [Activation still at default]
    Kill ACTIVATION only - restart
    Kill both SERVICE and ACTIVATION - restart
    Activation: OK. Word: rekd​
    Kill ACTIVATION only - restart
    Activation: OK – for now. Word: OK.​

Conclusion: Disabling the Software Protection SERVICE wrecks the Office/Word subscription.

Plan: I’ll wait with only the Automatic Activation disabled….to see what happens with Activation watermark, (and for any feedback)

This sure is a great way to spend a day.
    ...and thank you for your help...

24. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

....it's back....

No Activation button. No Activation Troubleshooter

Clicked Windows Update selection under Get up and Running, the General Troubleshoot button.
    Problems found and fixed. (Updates removed and reinstalled plus two others)
    Returned to Activation.
    Activation Troubleshoot button present now - clicked it.
    (Yes, there are two different Troubleshooting buttons)

Windows activated....UH gain...*sigh*

25. Anon-469e6fb48c

Are you sure you don't have some type of virus.

Reason why i am asking is.Because if i remember correctly there is a virus or malware that can effect the windows activation some how.By resetting the registry.

Windows 10 does not fully wipe the drive after fresh install.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    drcarl likes this.
  26. Anon-469e6fb48c

27. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

checking...

28. Anon-469e6fb48c

29. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

"Activate Windows" watermark is back today.
    Herdprotect was/is interesting.
    Ran a couple of other malware scanners.
    Some malware and PUPs were removed.
    Will run a couple more routines.

30. TimW

Please start a thread in the Malware forum after doing the Read and Run first instructions. I believe this is an adware virus.

drcarl likes this.
  31. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Copy that. 10-4. Will do. Thanx

32. Anon-469e6fb48c

So any word on the problem.Did the virus and malware scans work.

drcarl likes this.
  33. TimW

If you would take the time to look in the Malware forum, you would see that he hasn't posted there yet.

drcarl likes this.
  34. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

--the "activate windows" watermark returned today....I have not had time to do what's needed, yet. --the next more thorough steps...I will, though...and will post a link here to the malware post once I get it going

thanks for the follow up

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds