Android Apps

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by DavidGP, Jul 1, 2017.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Ok folkels

I'm getting a spare phone, ok its not needed but the apps in my car use Android or iOS app over my favoured Windows Phone, the Win Phone works perfect for calls and speech text etc but the apps NO. So getting a cheapish Android phone in the Sony Xperia L1 on Monday, £170 and a £5 a month 30 day rolling contract with 1.5GB rollover data from ID (saved £7.50 from negotiating my broadband cheaper)

So what are good apps or must haves for an Android phone, its Android 7.0 Nougat??

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

DavidGP likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In the car, WAZE.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en

I have a free music streaming app. (Music Choice) It is only free because of our cable tv. If your tv has music and video channels, check to see if there is a free app to stream music.

For security, both free:
    Malwarebytes for Android
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.antimalware&hl=en

ESET
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=ESET&hl=en

there is a paid version that protects more. I have the paid version on one tablet. But the paid version is better on a phone so when my paid version on the tablet expires, I'll switch to the free version on the tablet and go apy on my phone.

If you use the phone other than in the car, I'll post some tablet apps I use but they are better suited for a larger screen than a phone.

DavidGP likes this.
  4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

DavidGP and Eldon like this.
  5. DavidGP

Thanks folks, actually getting to like Android alot, had iOS before a few times, very skitish on updates working well, so favoured Windows Phone which works, now Android as a spare works really well like the apps,

@plodr the phone comes with AVG installed but did noticed MWB mobile, so will grab that. WAZE and NAVMI GPS (from Max) look really good, my car has SatNav built in but I do like a phone GPS for when walking around cities I dont know too well.

Yes plodr will be using the phone outside the car also, look like a gansta with 2 phones tho! but WinPhone doesnt have Android Pay or my banks app, which are handy.

6. plodr

I install VLC on my android devices to listen to music and watch videos. (I have micro sd cards with movies in both tablets).
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc&hl=en

Two browsers I use
    AdBlockPlus and Firefox Focus
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adblockplus.browser&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.focus&hl=en

For larger screen devices (my one tablet is 10.1")

Sir David Attenborough
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.bbc.storyoflife&hl=en

To read lots of different formatted books
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobisystems.ubreader_west&hl=en

If you are a star gazer
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.stardroid&hl=en

DavidGP likes this.
  7. DavidGP

Cool cheers plodr for those.

8. jodiano

jodiano Private E-2

Eldon and DavidGP like this.
  9. casiasser

casiasser Private First Class

Bitdefender Mobile Security & Malwarebytes.:)

DavidGP likes this.
  10. DavidGP

Not tried those two yet, I do like Malwarebytes apps on PC, but not tried on mobile, currently running AVG its ok

TBH I'm a Windows Phone person mainly due to Office integration, but liking Android alot, only got the Sony L1 for an app that connects my car to phone, adds live, usage and travel data.

11. plodr

Just a correction to post # 3 above: Malwarebytes for mobile now has a "pro" paid version. You can run it free but encourages you to go to the paid version. I haven't on any of my 3 android devices.
    I actually thought about it and went to the forum to read up. Apparently there are issues with the new mobile paid version. From the problems I saw posted, I decided against it. I might change my mind later once the new version is more mature and has fewer bugs.

My husband had to go somewhere last night so I loaned him my phone and had Waze set up to tell him the directions, turns and street names as he drove. He loved it and is glad I have a smart phone.

DavidGP likes this.
  12. walter turner

walter turner Private E-2

There are many. I guess Top Apps section are meant to list top apps. Isn't it? :p
    Still I recommend Wondershare app. It has boosted my productivity by multiple folds.

13. DavidGP

@plodr quite a few friends of mine and all have satnavs built in car, they all use Waze so while I have TomTom built into my car, going to have to try Waze.

@walter turner got a link to this app and how will it boost my productivity? looked the name up but Wondershare is linked to many apps, not 1 that would boost productivity?

14. plodr

Our cars are old so nothing to get around except good old paper maps. (That's okay if there is a passenger but not so good if you are driving alone).

My husband had to go somewhere and wasn't sure how to get there. I set up Waze on my phone and handed it to him in the garage. He really liked it. The voice told him where to turn ahead of time and mentioned the streets so he could drive without looking at the phone.

If you are in unfamiliar territory, you can have it show gas/petrol stations and places to eat. My girlfriend bought an iPhone after her daughter quickly found them a place to eat in another state!

DavidGP likes this.
  15. DavidGP

@plodr been using Waze and brill app, have to say the crowd sourcing of traffic issues is a great addition. The graphics of the map look better than my cars TomTom inbuilt.
    Agree the added places as in gas, eat, cash are superb,

Just a great app TBH and even if you have inbuilt satnave in car just get this as a backup app and one you can use while on foot.

16. plodr

I'm glad you like it. For that app alone, my husband was glad I decided to get a smart phone. :p We've been using two dumb phones for over a decade.

DavidGP likes this.
  17. DavidGP

So much so a few friends of mine have just moved from iPhones OSX to Nokia 5 and Sony XZ1 androids so I installed Waze for them as a default app to have. Its works perfectly, its quick and GUI is awesome. I know I have a Microsoft 950 and a Sony L1 but I'm thinking of getting a Sony XZ1 as the features are superb the more I read into it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  18. DavidGP

Did end up as contract up move from Windows phone (although popped a cheap SIM contract from ID network in it) to the Android XZ1 Sony, brill phone, awesome pics and sound, but still one thing crap with OSX and Android is contacts list, in Windows you can click an alphabet letter and it shows you full alphabet so easy to pick a contact under said letter in Android, scroll down the whole list unless you type in search box, both slow compaired to Windows phone, so MSFT got one thing right, no doubt there is a contacts app that may more suit my need.

But if in need of a new phone do check the Sony XZ1 out.

19. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Waaayyyy out of my budget!! :(

20. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

TimW, it's amazing what you can do with a basic phone. My LG phone is similar to yours and also considered a 'basic' phone.
    Thousands of free apps will run on Android Lollipop.

Look at this picture I took with my previous phone's 2MP camera.
    Joubertina.jpg

Here's the original.

Attached Files:

DavidGP likes this.
  21. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Nice pic, Eldon. Haven't used the camera yet. Hope to soon.

Eldon likes this.
  22. DavidGP

Nice pic Eldon. Ive been trying mine out and the slow-mo option is cool.

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds