Anyone ever owned a Brittany Spaniel?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BluesMan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Gektumi

Gektumi Private First Class

Well, I had it right, darm it, and then I went in to change something. How do you make the picture show up rather than as a link?

Also, do we take the attachments down after a while? Does that mess up the thread, or do we need to remove if we add attachments in later posts? :confused:

2. acejones

acejones A Different Title

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Cool pics, thanks everyone!

As far as what mix Oakley is, I think she is more than two breeds, which makes it next to impossible to say.

Her head looks like she has some Bull Terrier (and Rhodesian Ridgeback) in her, but not her body.

I really can't say without having a wild guess.

4. acejones

acejones A Different Title

ok. thats what we think as well. we rescued her from the animal shelter. the lady we got her from said the mother was a boxer, but they didn't know what the father was (jerry springer anyone?).

5. Insomniac

She's got beautiful fur, which is typical of a fawn Boxer.

She's a very pretty girl even though her mother slept around. :)

6. Insomniac

Gektumi, how many dogs have you got (they're very cute :) )?

7. Gektumi

Oh yes, Oakley is a very pretty dog. Lovely coloring! And she looks happy too.

And now I have even more questions about the pictures, if anyone can answer. I notice that when I click on my pictures and and the first one you posted, the picture in miniature shows up in the URL box. The last ones of Oakley...no picture in the URL address box, but you get a zoom in function. Why is that?

Thanks, Insomniac. Yes, they are cute! I only have one right now. The two parents, Apple and Phoebe, are gone. I got to keep Apple in the last years of his life--because of Phoebe. I found him when I was looking for a mate for her in case I wanted to breed her when she went into season. His owner, a really lovely woman, bred and "showed" dogs. That's why there were a number in the yard behind Apple in his climbing picture. Apple was the oldest champion there, but who could resist that climb? Eventually Apple came to live with Phoebe.

The dog had great presence. Truly, Brad Pitt only wishes he could be as cool as that dog was. :)

Harriet is the daughter of Apple and Phoebe. Her littermate is with my father and Harriet is with a friend.

The dog I have (but I only have small pictures of him) is called Freddie. He looks very similar to his father, but he's build more along his mother's lines, smaller and more muscular. The hair is more like his father's less soft, but morer plumy. His was a single litter birth.

I hadn't bred dogs before, but I thought Phoebe was a very exceptional dog. None of the dogs were sold, just kept in the family.

Oh, if you're interested. Apple sired many children since he was a champion. Half of them turned out to be climbers.:cool: :)

8. Insomniac

I think it's funny they can climb. :)

Regarding the photo, the reason some of them have an expand icon is because of their size.

In Internet Explorer, it's in Tools, Internet Options, then Advanced Tab.

Under Multimedia, it's "Enable Automatic Image Resizing". (I hope that's what you meant?)

9. Gektumi

Thanks.

Yes, it is funny. Especially since he was very "cagey" about when he used it. Mostly it was a "hey, hi, how are you?"

The only time he used it to "escape" is when he climbed over the fence at the vet's in the semi-rural area where his owner lived. He was in there for evaluation and he was having none of that!

10. Insomniac

Well, if he was in there for evaluation he did his bit.

He evaluated, then climbed out. :)

Some dogs have strange mannerisms.

My male dog, every time he sees me, grabs his food bowl in his mouth and runs up to me to make me chase him to get the bowl.

I've got no idea why or how it started, but he loves it and does it everyday without fail.

He never lets me catch him, only when he's ready does he come up and give me the bowl.

Then he dances in small figure 8's snorting and whining while wagging his tail.

11. Gektumi

Wow, Freddie does something similar. A gesture that he got from his mother and then broadened it. I usually leave a bit of the dry food out for him for snacks. Whenever I have company--and he loves company--he does a food ritual.

First he greets the company at the door. Tail wagging, bouncing if he knows them, does a few play bows with plumy tail in the air, deep stretches to the ground with forelegs. Then after he's greeted them thoroughly, but before they might take their eyes off him....he runs to the bowl, takes out some nuggets and eats. It's so funny. He eating, looking at them sideways (his body turned to the side), wagging his tail and making a funny play "gruR-gruR-gruR" sound.

If you move away from him to sit down out of sight, he abandons the food, keeps looking at you to make sure you watch him, runs back to the food, picks it up to eat it (tail still wagging) in your line of sight. Over time this has really gotten stretched out. It's a full performance. If the visitor isn't watching him, he goes over to be petted but dances away a little bit to bring back the food.

I think he's doing a number of things here. Letting you know that he is in possession of a high-status object (the food), that you can't have it (well, unless you really asked for it) and that he is a creature of status because he has the food.

His mother's ritual wasn't as long, but she added a thrown back head gesture, put her lips together and did a very soft, short sound Ah-woo-wooo....it was definitely different and the closest thing I have to describing it is that it was like the sound a hound dog makes when a fire alarm or siren goes off in the distance. Wow, it was so strange. It was very soft because of her size, but it would leave people speechless. And over time she got better at it because she saw how much it entertained everybody to see the vestiges of the wolf call in the little squirrel dog.

Well, I'm up because I have a trip tomorrow to LA, but I do love dog stories

12. Insomniac

It makes a welcome change to some of the dog stories I used to have to put up with.

I actually felt like hitting some of my clients. Some people should never be allowed to have dogs, ever.

Anyway, have a good trip. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds