ASUS A7N8X-E won't POST after CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matthew Pepple, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Matthew Pepple

Matthew Pepple Private E-2

Pepple
    Hi all,

I tried to install a 3000+ 400FSB Athlon XP on an ASUS A7N8X-E mobo (I had been using a 1700+ for a year and a half without any problems). Putting the chip in went smooth, didn't have any problems fitting the heatsink, really don't think static was a problem. So I cleared the CMOS, powered it up and I got absolutely nothing when I turned it on-- hard drives and fans spin up, power and IDE light come on, but nothing on the screen and no beeps. I went back to my old CPU, and now it won't POST either.

I tried pulling my processor, and I get an audio alert that no processor is present, but with a processor and no RAM, I don't get the memory error message. I've also tried droping down to just my video card, processor & memory with no luck.

So am I screwed, or is there anything else I can try? Right now I'm letting it sit with the battery out to see if it needs longer for the CMOS to clear.

Thanks,

Matthew Pepple

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    480w Thermaltake PSU
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Hercules Game Theater XP soundcard
    2x512mb Corsair 3200 valueselect ram
    1x512mb GEIL 3200 ram
    ASUS 802.11b wireless thingy
    LITE-ON DVD+-R
    2 PATA HD
    1 SATA HD

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

check your mobo manual; those cores are diff FSB , your mobo jumpers might have the FSB locked in at 100/133mhz.

3. Matthew Pepple

Thanks, but I checked that, it's either "266/333/400" or "200" (for Durons, I guess), and it hasen't been changed between processors. Plus it's not working with both processors now.

Matthew Pepple

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Take the battery outta the motherboard for 30 mins, then replace. With the new cpu in, of course. :)

Also, check to see if the motherboard has a jumper that changes the fsb.

5. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

To completly clear the Cmos I ussally remove the battery and start the cpu w/o it, then turn it back off and put the battery back in. Is your AUX cable from the PSU plugged in?

6. Matthew Pepple

Thanks for the tip about powering up my machine to clear the CMOS. Should I set the jumper to clear the CMOS while I do that?

And not to sound like a compmlete idiot, but my AUX cable?

Cheers!

Matthew Pepple

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yeah, AUX cables usually refer to audio cables.

Anyway, removing the battery on the mother board is like the "ultimate reset of bios". No need to move the jumper on J1 or is it J11.

I believe that Omegamerc is asking is the cpu fan plugged in...OR...is the 4 pin cable plugged into the motherboard. Some P4s and some AMD cpu require this to be plugged in.

Or I could be totally mistaken what Omegamerc is talking about with AUX cables.

Wouldn't be the first today. :(

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Aux PSU cable, square 4prong, ussally yellow/black cable wires, quite a few mobos that I've tried wont boot w/o it. Should've been more specific [​IMG]

9. Matthew Pepple

I still don't get it, why would I have audio cables plugged in from my PSU?

The reason I really think I'm hosed is that it was working with my old processor, I put in the new processor, reset the CMOS and got nothing, then when I switched back to my other processor it wouldn't POST either, so it shouldn't be a jumper config problem, a short on the mobo, poorly seated cards, or anything like that, because I know it worked three hours ago with the same configuration.

The only other thing that has changed is the heatsink/fan- my old heatsink only used the center clip, so I guess it's possible that the new clip is shorting something out, but that doesn't seem or look likely. And befofre my CPU fan was plugged into a fan bus, and now it's plugged into the mobo (I'ved tried both the CPU connection and one of the chassis ones), but again, I can't imagine that is causing a problem. If anything I could see helping, because with the CMOS reset, it might be set to lock if no CPU fan is detected.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate any other suggestions!

Matthew Pepple

10. Matthew Pepple

Okay, now I know what your talking about, that (the AUX power connection) is not hooked-up anywhere, but it wasn't before, either.

Cheers!

Matthew Pepple

11. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Go plug it in [​IMG]. Make sure your H/S + Fan isn't slanted.

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

13. Matthew Pepple

Nope, this is my motherboaord, and, unfortunatley, it doesn't look like plugging in the AUX connection is an option.

Though I do wish that were my motherboard...

Matthew Pepple

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Did you try the method I "typed/spoke" of before? Remove the battery for 30 mins and try again with the new cpu?

15. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Hmmm, I would re-check all your connections and make sure everything is seated properly. I also realized you have

2x512mb Corsair 3200 valueselect ram
    1x512mb GEIL 3200 ram

did you just try with one stick (dimm1) or just the two corsairs (make sure they're on dimm1/2)

16. Matthew Pepple

I tried 30 mins, no battery, no power, jumper set to clear CMOS, and then reset everything and powered on with the new CPU, and got no love. Is that how you were suggesting I set it up?

Matthew Pepple

17. Matthew Pepple

Yeah, I've tried 1 dimm, and even no dimms. This board has a vocal POST reporter, that plays error messages out of the onboard audio (no CPU, no memory, no video card, and stuff like that). I get the no CPU message if I don't have a processor in, but once I put the processor in I can't get it to generate any other errors (no memory, no video).

Matthew Pepple

18. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

That doesn't sound too good [​IMG]. If I think of anything eles I'll post it. GL.

19. theefool

theefool Geekified

What about the original CPU? I know you stated earlier, but what about now, now, now! :)

20. Matthew Pepple

Alight, I just tried the old one, after having the battery out for 30 mins-- still dead. I'm thinking this might be a lost cause. I'm certainly willing to try anything else, but the only step I think I have left is trying to boot it with the board out of the case, to eliminate shorts, which I only want to do as a last step.

I've already kind of started to move on to the next question, which is- assuming the board is dead, do I order the same board again so I can just plug-and-play (did I just type that? Whatever, I stand by it), or should I RMA the processor, and get a 64-bit board and processor?

Matthew Pepple

21. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

RMA refund, get a 64 + mobo, you wont regret it. (939 pin!)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds