avast slows internet connection

Discussion in 'Software' started by dewback, Apr 9, 2008.

1. dewback

dewback Corporal

I have a 10meg down 1 meg up cable connection. While running tests on speedtest.net I noticed I was only getting between 5 and 7 meg download speed and when I disable avast on-access protection that the speed is nearly always at the full 10 meg. Has anyone else noticed this problem and if so how did you correct it? I don't really like running my machine without protection.

2. huntilla

huntilla Private E-2

Try using Avira anti-virus or I also have had good luck with AVG anti-virus. AVG is on the wife's laptop since her Trend-Micro expired this year and she has had no problem with picking up trojans/viruses. Avira has been on my desktop for only two months and so far it seems adequate, it is definitely not a bandwidth or memory hog.

3. dewback

dewback Corporal

I may give AVG another try. I have used it in the past and liked it. It is a little disappointing that avast seems to be hogging so much bandwidth these days.

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I would stick with avast myself, I use it and yes it scans every packet that tries to get onto your computer, its called protection. To be protected in this way you have to bite the bullet and accept a little loss of speed. AVG sucks and will delete alot of stuff off your computer by saying they have trojans when they don't, I used it for five years and about 6 month ago they decided to become the internet police and delete all kinds of files from my PC. I would not let them near my data ever again they have no right to decide what I can and cannot keep on my PC.

5. dewback

dewback Corporal

I found a solution for avast. After googling avast and bandwidth I found a post that asked the same question. The web shield function is a major bandwidth hog because it scans every page you visit. When disabled I regain full speed. I am not sure if that is the best way to go but it does work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds