AVG 8.0.135 Fails to update virus definitions. Why??

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I downloaded from MajorGeeks the AVG free anti virus version 8.0.135 and the automatic updater will not work. I tried to update manually with the same results. My firewall is not the problem. I get a notice, "connection with update server has failed". Anyone know whats going on with this??

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

I had the same problem this morning with updating AVG 7.5. Checked it this time around and its updating okay. There must have been problem at AVG's site. Try it again and it may work for you. If not, it may be a another problem.

Oh and check your firewall to see whether you've given permission. I believe it's AVGNET.EXE

3. EvilRed

EvilRed Private E-2

I've been getting this one for several days now. The AVG forum says it's malware or similar and one user there recommends using Safeboot, Hijack This, Killbox and Vundofix. I suspect they could be right, because whatever is causing the connection to fail is now blocking my spybot S&D and manual access to the AVG updates - it just sends me to empty pages. It did it with a page on here once, too. Gah!

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

6. EvilRed

EvilRed Private E-2

Thanks guys - I'm working my way through your clean up routine. I've uninstalled AVG, Spybot S&D, can't get Kaspersky to do its thing because it won't update and it won't show me the images and links on the online scan page. I've downloaded and tried to run hijackthis, but it crashed, so I've sent them a report and copy of the log. I guess it's just more fun and games as usual, trying everything until something works. I just wish when my ex went he didn't take *MY* IP Cop box with him. Grrrrrr.

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

SAS & MBAM often times work in situations like this. If not, Norman frequently fixes the blockage so that SAS & MBAM can finish the malware cleaning job.

8. EvilRed

EvilRed Private E-2

Ok, I ran Norman, who deleted 2 files, both claimed to be tdss.L trojans, from my recyled bins.

Now I'm trying to use SAS, but the downloaded .exe won't run. I've tried 3 different downloads, I can't download it from the author site, it won't have give me anything but blank pages, and when I try and run it from the .exe that I have managed to download it just says "windows has had to close this". :confused:confused:confused

MBAM has unzipped, but is failing to run when I click on the .exe. I'm really starting to get frustrated now.

9. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

10. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

By the way: rename the Malwarebytes' setup files and try again. Call it "something.com" or whatever. Try that first.

11. EvilRed

EvilRed Private E-2

Thanks for all your help here Cordialis. Ok, I did the following:

I ran ComboFix, which shut down my pc for quite a while and deleted 3 files, but it seems to have done the trick. On reboot I could then run and install SAS. So, being the sort of person I am, I downloaded and ran AVG Free, install and update - Tadah! Success! Oh, and I can see all those images, thank you. :) Much appreciated.

Fingers crossed I think I'm now ok. Everything else seems to be updating nicely, too.

Files deleted were:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\gaopdxtcirqceysoywusgkgwctnmiypacjymty.sys
    c:\Windows\system32\gaopdxswiftyavisqjpfhcyyjjbdpixfqheya.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.exe

I don't know if that means anything to you guys, but the first two were the ones it told me to make a note of, and then it deleted them after reboot as well as deleting the msconfig.exe file.

If anyone wants to see the logs for the combofix or the hijackthis that I ran, I've still got them.

Either way it seems that my pc is now up and running properly again. *huzzah!*

Just as an FYI, your site was recommended to me by several geeky friends, who have also convinced me to start a BSc in Software Engineering this autumn, so I'll be recommending you on to everyone I meet/work with in the future. If I could buy you a drink right now, it'd be a large one. :) Sincerely, thank you. :)

12. EvilRed

EvilRed Private E-2

Ok, all seems to be sorted now. I did post a reply, but it said it had to be mod approved or something. So either I've lost the ability to negotiate a forum during my several hours of scans, searches, downloads and banging my head against the desk, or I pressed a wrong button! Either way, I ran Combofix, I then rebooted and managed to get it to set up SAS and MBAM and download and install AVG and its updates, and now I'm running a Kaspersky scan. *phew!* I have the logs for Hijack this, Norman and Combofix if anyone wants a peek at them, but it all seems to be running fine now. Except that AVG when it was sorted popped up and announced that it had isolated Win32/Cryptor. But on rebooting there's no sign of it, so I'll take that one as healed for now.

Thank you very, very much for your help here, if I were able to buy you a drink right now it'd be a very large one! :)

13. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Ha! Thanks. It's the thought that counts. Happy surfing! :-D Cheers!

PS: MBAM and SAS should still be run.

14. EvilRed

EvilRed Private E-2

Yes, I'm still running both of those and a full Kaspersky scan, too. And I'm going to keep the programmes on the desktop so I can run them regularly to make sure I don't have any more problems. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds