BIOS help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by skipper, Feb 1, 2005.

1. skipper

skipper Private E-2

hi people..sorry if this is in the wrong topic area...there is an update for my award bios..at the award website its $30 to buy..whats the deal with that? when did they start to charge people to update the bios? not sure what that is all about..so im searching the internet to find the update without having to pay for it..since i feel that isnt fair to charge people to update a product you already own...anyways..does anyone know for sure where to get the latest bios?....here is my current bios info==phoenix-award bios v6.00pg/phoenix technologies-v3.25/9-23-2003...please help me out

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

have you gone to your m/b manufacturer's website?
    that's where most people go to get their bios updates.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

One thing I have to say is are you experiencing any problems that a Bios update could cure? if not then it is wise not to flash bios if not needed.

as mellowman said your motherboard makers site will have lastest one and they will also have instructions for flashing.

4. skipper

skipper Private E-2

i check the compaq support page for my computer often and the latest bios update for my computer was 9/23/2003...i guess my bios is off the radar screen for compaq=(..anyways so i went to the award bios main website and contacted them and they told me there is an update for my bios,but it will cost $29.99...whats up with that? is it hardware or software? they just sent me an email saying they have a downloadable version for the same price..nice company trying to make me pay for an update...what a scam..i was wondering if anyone else knew about this and if there was a website that has this for download at no charge=)

5. skipper

skipper Private E-2

bump...anyone else on here with an award bios?

6. skipper

skipper Private E-2

last bump=)

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Must ask this question again... are you experiencing any problems that you think are Bios related?

Compaq and other OEM manufacturers do tend to alter the Bios instructions abit for there own needs and its not necassarily that an update direct from Award would help, it may make matters worse, its always best to have the PC/Mobo makers last known good bios.

My last Bios update on an AMI Gigabyte Bios was 2003 but I know there are no updates after a few years, but I have no issues that are Bios related.

8. kristoff

kristoff Private E-2

I hope you can help me too. I think my problem is bios related. My desktop is an LG-xpion (I'm from asia). My uncle's pc was dead as a brick. They say it was because of virus.

I tried to repair it at home. The hardware was fine, pc turns on and fans are ok but screen reamains black. I've checked the memory and the cpu, both ok as well. I just put some thermal paste on the cpu (it might be due to overheating.) I've checked his hard disk. It was full of virus (almost a thousand says my avira, all of them deleted).

It was really stupid but I copied some of his files to my hard disk before reformatting. I thought it was already sanitized. But to my despair, my pc's display was corrupted when I turned on my pc the next day. Some of my display settings were also changed. But the worst is that even the manufacturer's logo at the start of POST is corrupted, which leads me to believe that a virus crept into bios and messed up with display or whatever.
    I've tried changing hard disk but the result is the same, so I'm sure it's not with the hard disk or OS.

I'm thinking of patching up my bios and then flashing. I've successfully flashed an Acer Aspire One before. Still, I'm wary of working in uncertainty. I couldn't find any BIOS or BIOS update from the manufacturer's website (maybe because my pc is old lge 775 motherboard)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 7/22/2005 (msinfo32)

I need some advice and a little help. I know BIOS is VERY hardware specific. The problem is I'm not even sure where or how to get the bios which is compatible with my motherboard (if not the same as the one i have now). I have another pc exactly the same as the one broken, if only I could find a way to somehow copy it to the corrupted one...

I really need some help or advice.

Thanks,

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you can get at the CMOS battery, I would remove it and clear your settings. Unplug from power, remove the battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Then replace the battery, plug in the power and reboot.

Edit: You should have started a new thread instead of posting in this old one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds