BIOS ROM checksum error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by e2h, Nov 16, 2012.

1. e2h

e2h Private E-2

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Pressario SR1000 PC (MS-6577 v4.1 motherboard) and i have this problem. I've read lots of stuff online about flashing the BIOS or to recover it but i haven't got a floppy disk. Is there a way to create a CD to use AWDFLASH because the PC is asking for a floppy drive. This error happened one day when i switched the PC on.

I get this message:

Award Bootblock BIOS v1.0

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media

INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Hope anyone can help

Thanks in advance.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Hold on, don't do a thing about flashing the BIOS.
    Go into the BIOS and disable floppy drive. For some reason, it started detecting one.

If that does nothing, go into BIOS and select load defaults.

Also check the time; if it isn't correct, you might simply need a new CMOS battery because the BIOS forgets the settings.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Try FlashBoot you can make a USB like a bootable floppy.
    Go in to BIOS and check your boot order, remove the floppy and make sure the hard drive is listed there as a boot device.

4. e2h

e2h Private E-2

I cant acces the bios cos it wont go past this

BIOS ROM checksum error

5. foogoo

6. e2h

e2h Private E-2

7. e2h

e2h Private E-2

8. e2h

e2h Private E-2

Tried this with uniflash but i still get the same message

9. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

As plodr told you before

If that does nothing, go into BIOS and select load defaults.

Also check the time; if it isn't correct, you might simply need a new CMOS battery because the BIOS forgets the settings.

try it :wave

10. e2h

e2h Private E-2

I cant acces the bios cos it wont go past this

BIOS ROM checksum error

It just hangs on this

11. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

12. e2h

e2h Private E-2

13. foogoo

Any post beep code?
    Buy a floppy or a new mobo.

14. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

This is usually dead cmos battery so buy a new one and replace.

Make sure you haven't got a disk in the floppy drive.

Also enter bios by tapping del or F2 as the computer is booting,go to standard cmos features,at the bottom will be a drive labelled drive 0, you've now disabled your floppy drive.

Go to advance cmos features and make sure your hard drive is set as the first boot device.

Don't flash your bios until you have a new bios battery and your computer is working properly and make sure the readme with the bios you update addresses your specific problem.

15. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

I think the BIOS is corrupted. The BootBlock is for BIOS recovery operations. Do you know the exact model of the PC from this list http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...odTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=402657&taskId=135

Had you attempted a BIOS flash before this problem happened-I'm trying to figure out how the BIOS was corrupted? And just to make sure it isn't a simple fix, ie. not needing a BIOS flash, when you took out the battery did you also have it disconnected from A/C power? Both A/C power and battery have to be disconnected for a minute or two to clear CMOS.

16. e2h

e2h Private E-2

Hi,

I just went to switch it on one day and that message appeared. The pc is this exact model

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...00268906&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=402657

Many thanks if you can help

17. e2h

e2h Private E-2

Forgot to mention that ive already took the battery out when the ac lead was out and tested the voltage which was 3.3volts so i know the battery is ok. Even tried to move the jumper from 1 to 2 to 2 to 3 and pressed the power button.

18. sach2

I was looking at his last night and realized that the standard message includes looking for a CDROM where yours does not. So I am uncertain if you can flash BIOS from CD.

I guess you can create a bootable CD and see if it will recognize it.
    This CD image has your BIOS in it. You need to burn the ISO file to a blank CD as an image file. Imgburn's "Write IMAGE File to Disc" option will do it. Make sure you use the image file option.

Then start the computer with the disc in the tray and see if it boots up to an A:\> prompt. At the A:\> prompt you would type awdflash and hit <enter> to start the flash program. Then use 326.rom for the part number. Then hit "Y" to begin the flash. Don't turn off/restart the machine until it says "Flashing Complete". The screens will look something like this.

Let us know how it goes. I'm not sure why your message doesn't include the detecting CDROM bit.

19. e2h

e2h Private E-2

Just gave this a go but no luck/ I still get the same message:

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...

Looks like i may have to try and get a floppy disk from somewhere then try it again.

20. sach2

Sorry I didn't see your response. Yes, it looks like it isn't detecting your CDROM. Is the CDROM on its own cable separate from the HD (it should be)? Maybe try unplugging the HD and seeing if that forces it recognize the CDROM.

21. e2h

e2h Private E-2

Not working. I have managed to get a floppy but the iso you suggested is bigger than the capacity of the floppy i have. I have the 1.44MB floppy and the iso is 1.50MB.

22. sach2

It has been forever since I made a floppy disk.
    I think this zip folder has all the files needed to boot the floppy. You have to copy the hidden files too (Ctrl Panel>Folder Options>View tab>tick the circle for Show Hidden files and also untick the box for "Hide system files (recommended)". Then copy all the files in the floppy folder to your floppy disk. I think that will make a bootable floppy. If anyone has another way please let us know I'm really unsure.

Then run awdflash and use 326.rom as the part/file name to reflash the BIOS.

Edit: If that doesn't work you could try the Dos 6.22 image from here. It is an executable which will prompt you to write the DOS files to the floppy. Then you need to copy awdflash.exe and 326.rom from my zip file to the floppy. Then boot from the floppy and try the awdflash command.

Attached Files:

23. e2h

e2h Private E-2

Excellent work and a big thank you. Got it all working so thanks for your help.

What i did in the end was use my other PC that had a floppy drive and formatted the floppy then using the create MS-DOS option then added awdflash and 362.rom as instructed and it worked first time.

:-D

24. sach2

Good work!

I'm glad you were able to do the Create System Disk option. I don't know what I was thinking with my instructions. I was figuring you didn't have another PC with a floppy so Create System Disk wasn't an option but I don't know how I thought you were going to write my disk without another floppy drive?

I'm glad it is sorted. :)

25. Kevin Ba

Kevin Ba Private E-2

Hi everyone, I know this thread is a bit old but three years later it is still relevant as I just fixed my PC thanks partly to this forum to return the favour here's how to fix it.

If you're getting Award Bios's BootLock - this means something is wrong with the flashing code contained in your BIOS which probably happened due to a corrupt BIOS flash/update so it's protecting your PC by locking everything out and giving you a chance to safely reflash your BIOS securely in DOS.

The easiest way is to go and buy a secondhand IDE Floppy Drive from somewhere, get a new box of IBM formatted 1.44mb floppy diskettes and an external USB floppy drive and follow these steps:

1. Hook up the external USB floppy drive to another computer or laptop (assuming your other device does not have a floppy drive).
    2. Go to Award's BIOS page and download AWDFlash from here: https://www.wimsbios.com/awardflasher.jsp

You will need to rename the download .exe file to AWDFLASH.EXE (yes all Capitals). You need to also select a version that works with your BIOS, I tried 3-4 and settled with v8.69.

3. Go to your BIOS's website and obtain a BIOS image file. Newest is not necessarily the best as it may not be compatible with your particular Motherboard. I suggest you research what version came with your stock motherboard and then perhaps choose a BIOS image that is within 6-12 months from that date.

Leave the filename as is and it should have an extension of .BIN or .ROM.

4. Now on another PC/Laptop, hook up your external USB Floppy Drive and transfer the above mentioned two files onto a new IBM-formatted (Fat32 format) onto the diskette. Make sure the diskette is new so it doesn't contain any bad sectors.

5. Hook up your Floppy drive to your computer and put in the Rescue Disk that you just created with the BIOS Flasher software and BIOS image file.

6. Go find an old mechanical keyboard - the one with the green connector piece (not USB) as you will need this otherwise you're stuck. Once you the floppy loads you will be shown with the loading screen - press ENTER on the keyboard to continue. It should now start to reflash your BIOS image file onto the BIOS ROM chip. Depending on how damaged your BIOS file is, it could take another from 5 minutes to an hour. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PC during this update process.

7. After the update the system should reboot - remove the floppy diskette and HOLD DEL key to go into your BIOS CMOS menus - choose to RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULTS - then save and exit.

8. If all done correctly, Windows or whatever your operating system should now load as normal and your PC is RESTORED.

Good luck. It took me weeks to research and work out all the above so hope this helps you.

PS: Remember to try different Flasher softwares and/or BIOS rom images as not all will work with your motherboard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds