Blackberry Tethering

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atlantic44, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

I am able to tether from my blackberry via bluetooth with a "dial-up" connection.

All I did was setup the network(at@t) and a "dial number"(*9***1#) on my bluetooth device to tether.

But I don't really understand how this works. Can someone here help explain this to me?:confused

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

basiculy what ever devices your tethering with, is using your phone as a modem of sorts, despite the connection being from device to device with blue tooth, it uses the dial up networking component to make part of that connection happen.

3. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

The weird thing is this phone has lots of proxys and security features on it, and so far this is the only thing of this kind that I have been able to get working.

All I know is that everytime it connects the phone says "modem mode enabled" and it connects with dial-up networking. So is "dial-up" just a way of sending data to another device?

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes in a simplified manner.

5. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

This phone has done a good job of blocking this type of thing(I think)

I did not do anything with my phone beside pairing it(which I do to my ear pieces and other things)

I'm not a hacker or anything but somehow I found this "loop-hole" :-D

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes, most providers want you to pay extra for tethering :)

7. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

It's not so much that as it is the fact that it's a work phone, so that's why all the security features are there.

I am trying to find out about this to make sure this does not become a problem. I don't think it will because my device that I tether to does not have any access to my phone.

The phone just receives and sends out data(with dial-up in this case) just like I do when surf the web with my phone all time.

Plus I am on an unlimited data plan. There is no reason this setup would be problem right?:confused

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Providers hate when people on unlimited devices tether a laptop/netbook so on to a phone, because its "harder" to use a bunch of data on a device with a fairly small screen, but you hook a full size laptop up with a keyboard and it becomes alot easier to push large numbers of traffic.

9. Atlantic44

Atlantic44 Corporal

It's not so much the provider(AT@T) having a problem with it. It's more of my work thinking that this is some kind of "security breach"

Which I don't think it is.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds