BSOD "Hardware Malfunction"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LauraR, Oct 22, 2007.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I've gotten a BSOD a few times on my Dell Inspiron laptop that says:

Hardware Malfunction
    Call your hardware vendor
    NMI: Parity Check/ Memory Parity Error
    The System has halted

:(

I've found when I googled that it could be my memory? I've got 2GB of RAM :confused

Any imput would be appreciated.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

3. LauraR

I downloaded it to my computer and then copied it to a CD. Is that correct?

How do I boot my computer from a CD? Or more specifically, where do I go from here?

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Is this a Vista laptop?

Many users are finding that Vista works the memory harder and marginal modules which are OK with XP crash out with Vista.

Also make sure the laptop is internally clean and not overheating, and that the modules are seated properly. Take them out and reseat them. Try with only one at a time and see if the fault still occurs.

5. LauraR

It's XP sp2, about 2 years old. I have absolutely no idea how to open up my laptop.:( Is that difficult to do?

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

There should be removable panel(s) on the underside to allow acces to the memory modules.

Dell have very good pictorial instructions on their website.
    When I have more time I'll find the link for you. What inspiron model is it?
    Look also for vents and clean these with a paint brush or better, a brush head attached to a vacuum cleaner.

7. LauraR

Inspiron E1705

I'll go take a look too. Thanks:) In the meantime, how do I boot from this CD?

8. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

to boot from a CD, all you have to do is put the CD in the tray, and reboot the machine.

watch the screens really close and there should be something where it comes up "hit [something] for boot menu" or a message that means about the same. hit that something key, with dells it is usually the F2 key, but it might be different for you.

it will give you a menu of choices to boot to, choose the CDROM or DVDROM drive that you have installed and there you go

9. LauraR

thanks! :)

10. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

as far as your BSOD issue, I would have to guess that your laptop is over heating, one of the vents is clogged with dust or something. Especially if it happens out of the blue and never happened before. make sure that the memory is seated well, like previous posters have said and make sure that all the various fans and blow holes are clean of dust or obstructions.

11. LauraR

Should I run the disk first, or open the case first?

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I suggest you attend to the hardware first especially as the CD is a stress testing disk.

What BM meant was to put the CD in and reboot.
    Watch the screen and if you get a prompt
    'press any key to boot from cd'
    I usually press the space bar as its biggest.

If it won't boot to the memtester then you must go into the bios and set the pc to boot from cd first.
    To do this tap the del key during frst switch on and scroll down the Dell setup list. Dells are slightly different and more limited but you should see the option to set the CD drive to boot first
    Save changes and exit.

The memtester cd should now boot.

13. LauraR

k...thanks. I guess i'll try to see inside first and clean it out, etc. :(

I'll try it later.

14. LauraR

15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Remember you are not trying to disassemble the pc so that it looks like the picture under 'system components'!

The memory modules are easy. You can access them under one small cover by removing 2 screws. The manual suggests you have dual channel memory which means you can't test each individually. So just remove and reseat following the pictures. Touch a ground point first.

Look at the first picture in the 'processor thermal cooling assembly' section. Again I'm not suggesting you disassemble anything but note the ventilation grilles in the bottom and sides of the case. These should be clear of dust etc and you should be able to feel a good draught from them. Do not obstruct them. I recently had to replace a motherboard because the user used his laptop on the arm of a fluffy sofa and blocked these vents.

16. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

17. LauraR

Thanks guys! I'll try it (hopefully, when I get the nerve to do it).

I'm going to probably try it next week since this week is going to be crazy.

18. LauraR

Ok...old thread that I started, but the same problem.

I sort of put a bandaid on it by shutting down my laptop each night when I was finished. The BSOD stopped happening when I did that.

Now, I decided to get out a pc game that I had bought a while back, and it's now happening again.

I've run Dell's diagnostic testing (extensive ones) and they all 'passed'

My question: Does the fact that when I started shutting it down each night made the issue go away, and the fact that playing a pc game made it come back, point to overheating problems?

I bought a laptop cooler today. It hasn't come yet, but I'm hoping that helps/cures the problem.

My fear is that it isn't overheating.

Oh, and I did clean it out. The vents are clear.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds