C0000218 Blue Screen Error (2000 Pro)

Discussion in 'Software' started by adonisunlimited, Apr 27, 2018.

1. adonisunlimited

adonisunlimited Private E-2

This one has proven to be quite the bedeviling issue, but I seem close to solving it, possibly with your help, Lord willing...

As I've been having to post this topic any number of times on different forums, I'll be brief here: back in 2010, I've had a desktop computer which has been unusable due to the onset of a "blue screen of death" that forces an endless chain of reboots. I'll include an image of the specific error below:

[​IMG]

To specify, the computer which has the c0000218 error is a Hewlett-Packard Vectra VLi8 MT desktop model, which runs the Windows 2000 Professional operating system.

Thanks to the help of one forum I've been frequenting recently, I was given a suggestion that might allow me to make changes to the computer's damaged registry: a program known as UBCD4WIN (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows). While the source webpage for the program is now defunct, it exists as freeware on a number of sites, including here on Major Geeks, for instance. However, I'm not entirely sure how well it would work for the Win2000Pro operating system, since there is so much conflicting information on the subject, depending on where you find the program. Some sites say that UBCD4WIN will work on all versions of Windows, some say it would work only for select versions of Windows, while others suggest that it will work universally, regardless of the operating system.

Long story short, I would appreciate it greatly if anyone here on the Major Geeks forum could answer the question posed above regarding UBCD4WIN's possible compatibility with the Windows 2000 Professional operating system, or could provide any other easy, inexpensive/free, and harmless method of fixing this particular problem. So far, the UBCD4WIN suggestion seems my best option thus far (once I am better informed on the issue), but I am always looking for what could be a better and easier way. Feel free to contribute whatever may be useful. As an additional point of reference for those who may visit, I will provide links to my other topics on other forums at the bottom of this post.

Thanks in advance for all helpful replies!
    :)

Microsoft Answers
    Bleeping Computer [1] [2]
    CNET Forums [1] [2]
    Experts' Exchange

AtlBo likes this.
  2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

AtlBo likes this.
  3. adonisunlimited

Sorry for the delay in my response...I wasn't notified via email that the topic had a reply waiting.

Thanks very much for your input, Eldon; I've had a chance to see both links you've provided-- in fact, I've got a forum application pending for the second one. I also noticed that the first of the two links is for a different version of the program than the one in the link I provided in the original post; I presume there's no real functional difference between the two, if I'm allowed to speculate. It helps that a user comment on the download page led to the requirement being altered to "Windows Any".

Regardless of which download link may be used, I presume I'll have to download the file, open it and burn the contents onto a disk, and start the computer from the CD-ROM drive in order for it to work? I've never had to use a boot CD before, so feel free to correct me if needed and let me know how to execute it properly.

Thanks a lot,
    adonisunlimited

AtlBo likes this.
  4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

As I said in your welcome post, your email addy may be incorrect. Please click on my username and "start a conversation" and give me your preferred email addy.

AtlBo likes this.
  5. adonisunlimited

Thanks for your response, TimW...I just tried it, but didn't see a "start a conversation" button on your profile page, I'm sorry to say. Perhaps you could start one with me, and I may be able to see it...

I've also been perusing some of my other online forum posts on the subject and was told that I may need software such as IMGBURN to properly import the UBCD4WIN program onto a disk in order for it to work. Of course, that's one suggestion (again, I never had to use a boot CD before)...if anyone has anything to add to this suggestion, feel free to reply!

:)

- adonisunlimited

AtlBo likes this.
  6. Eldon

Just click on TimW's user picture and you'll see it.
    TimW.jpg

AtlBo likes this.
  7. adonisunlimited

I did...no such link appeared for some reason. Maybe its something related to Firefox? Nonetheless, I see a message waiting in my inbox; I'm sure it's from TimW, so I'll respond immediately following this post.

In regards to the topic's issue, I'll try to move forward with that and inform Major Geeks of my progress. Again, I'm consulting with multiple forums simultaneously, so I'm weighing every source's input against each other until the problem is resolved. Anyone could feel to reply in the meantime!

Thanks again,
    adonisunlimited

AtlBo likes this.
  8. Eldon

Not a good idea.

AtlBo likes this.
  9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The only solution I saw for that specific error was running Reimage Repair, which I strongly advise against downloading.
    If anyone recommends Reimage Repair please don't consider doing this.

I have one Windows 2K computer left in the house. I made images so should it fail to boot, I'd restore one of the archived images.

Have you tried last known good configuration, since you probably made no images?
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000626.htm

AtlBo likes this.
  10. adonisunlimited

Hello again, everyone -- sorry for the long delay in replying tonight.

Having said that, though, I do have some significant updates on my issue, which the folks at MajorGeeks might be able to help address. To recap, here's where the train starts:

thumbnail.jpg

As the above image shows, I have two installations of the Windows 2000 Professional operating system on this device, with the red and blue arrows indicating the broken and working systems respectively. After having quite a bit of trouble with the UBCD4WIN software for much of last year, I finally managed to get a disk made. To remind everybody, I've been working with other forums on this same issue for some time now; when I got the disk together and tried to get an understanding of what the next steps were to be now that I had one ready, I got an interesting response from a user on one of those other forums, which I will share with all of you in the screengrab below. I've cropped the message down a bit, and have underlined in red a particularly important part from that post:

hardware_problem_message.jpg

From there, I took the user's advice and conducted an HDTune scan from the UBCD4WIN disk, and the results of that scan are seen in the image below.

IMG_20190129_161329955_HDR.jpg

Turns out that, despite a 99.7% clear bill of health, a grand total of eight sectors came out damaged in the hard disk. Not the best news, but a better understanding of the issue made itself clear. Once I reported the results on the scan, this was the response I got:

drive's_failure_message.jpg

I was sure to highlight two of the more important excerpts of the reply in the image above to (hopefully) illustrate to the users of MajorGeeks where the next steps seem to be in correcting the error. The more practical part of what was said is in the red section; I engaged the user a bit further on what I gathered from the response, and their suggestion is a binary course of action: I'll have to (A) back up the damaged drive in its current state to avoid further damage, and (B) once the drive is backed up, conduct tweaks to the registry to get it to boot properly again.

Right now, I'm trying to focus on Phase (A): according to the aforementioned user, I'm going to have to get hold of a secondary external drive with a capacity at or below 2TB, with an MBR (Master Boot Record) partition. My guess is that a duplicate of the drive will give me a chance to start over from where I am now, in the event that the registry adjustments of Phase (B) causes more damage to the original drive, according to the user's warning. The maximum capacity for the computer's drive is only about 12.7GB, so maybe I won't need a very large drive for the purpose of copying the disk drive; in fact, I want to ask if something in the way of a portable USB hard drive (specifically along the lines of a Western Digital My Passport drive, of which I have a couple available) could be used for this purpose, since I'm trying to learn if I can work with what I have presently or if I will have to invest in something else entirely.

I know it's a lot of information for everyone, but I've been gone a while and much has happened since my last post here; not to overload you all, but just to remind everyone, links to my parallel topics on outside forums (including the one referenced in this post) can be found in my original message, in case you feel the need to follow along to what brought me back. If you believe you could help provide something meaningful to help move this boulder a little further up the hill, perhaps even cresting that hill finally, feel free to add your comments; hopefully, I'll be notified, but either way, I'll check back here soon enough.

Thanks in advance,
    adonisunlimited

AtlBo likes this.
  11. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes it will work (the drive be detected) if you are working from a boot rescue disk (depending on which disk and which apps are there, but it should work fine). However, if you are going to clone, you may need to set up a partition for receiving the clone. Otherwise, you may lose all the data presently on the drive if there is any. Someone else can answer, but I'm not sure if a cloning procedure will effectively format the drive partition chosen to receive the clone. Just make sure the partition is large enough for the clone (13 or 14 GB etc.). Also, you will need to be able to run the clone from within Windows 2000 or from a boot enviroment. This means a good plan of action for identifying the app to use to perform the clone. The next issue is that you will still need another drive to replace the dying one. Also, you will need a way to copy the clone backup to the new drive.

For sure, I feel the advice you got is very good advice. I wouldn't power on the machine unless I had to, preferring to wait until I was ready for action on the backup.

12. adonisunlimited

Hello AtlBo --- first and foremost, my apologies for waiting so long to return your message; apart from the fact that I haven't been receiving email notifications from MajorGeeks whenever someone replies to my topic posts, I've also been dealing with personal matters that have kept me from pursuing this repair effort with as much focus as I'd like, so I'm sorry about that, first of all.

The Late "Rowdy" Roddy Piper was once quoted as saying, "Once you think you have the answer, I change the question." That's summed up the turn of events here; after trying for a good long while to manage the UBCD4WIN as a means to fix the error, a change in the diagnosis demands a change in the strategy, which was a bit frustrating to learn a few months back. But, fortunately, one question was answered here on MajorGeeks that the use of a WD My Passport drive can help back up the affected computer's drive. That will help me a bit moving forward.

To answer one of the questions posed in the last message, these portable hard drives have far more than 13 or 14GB (the two I have on hand are about 250GB and 400GB respectively, but I may invest in another one just for this purpose down the line. Since I can't really make a move on the computer at this time anyway, I agree with AtlBo's position that the computer be left alone until I am ready to act.

But going back to that Piper quote, I'm kind of adrift as I try to figure where to go from here. Again, I've surmised that I will have to copy the drive before I can apply any registry fixes, but since I've never done anything of the sort, the chances of making the error worse seem pretty high. I've used computers for years and know a trick or two, but admittedly, as far as doing a complex fix like this, I'm a bit of a novice. I'm wondering if I'll need to do anything particular or elaborate to an external back-up drive, like changing its format manually, for instance. I remember someone somewhere suggesting I make a copy of the drive and then trying any registry fixes on the copy; while understandable from a common-sense view, I admit that I wouldn't know the first thing about actually carrying that out. Though I may be thinking too far ahead right now, another concern is replacing the drive altogether at some point down the line; putting aside the irony that a mostly healthy drive with only 0.3% damage is something of which to be disposed, the mechanics of how and with what to replace the drive is a little daunting (brand type, compatibility with other parts, copying the backed-up info into the new drive, etc.).

I've been looking over AtlBo's message a few times, trying to make sure I understand its content before moving forward. If anyone feels like they have anything to add or is willing to lay out a battle plan for me, feel free to comment; I'm confident you all are respectful and non-condescending, but don't feel like I'd be offended if you felt the need to coach me like a 4th-grade computer class student. It's better for me to swallow my pride and ask the right questions that might make me sound foolish to more adept computer pros than myself, rather than guesstimate and make the problem much worse and harder to repair.

But to reiterate, I'm going to try focusing on this problem one thing at a time. So the first apparent task I have is to acquire a portable hard drive in order to carry out a copy of the affected drive. AtlBo has already affirmed that the brand of portable drive I typically use can work for this purpose; if there's anything I should know about how to do this procedure once I get the equipment, please feel free to comment, and I will (hopefully) be notified -- if not, I'll reply once I am able to come back to the topic.

Thanks
    adonisunlimited

P.S.
    As a friendly word of warning, I thought I should make the people of MajorGeeks aware that I did a full systems scan on my laptop a couple months ago using Microsoft Security Essentials, and some malware had been detected on the UBCD4WIN install application. I took the liberty of including a screengrab of it, which you can see below:

UBCD4Win-Trojan_Detected.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I got the application from here on MajorGeeks, so you guys may want to be cautious of that moving forward. It got quarantined and soon removed, but my laptop has been dealing with speed issues ever since I got rid of it. Don't know if anyone has any tips to help address that for me, but my eyes and ears are wide open nonetheless. Thanks.

13. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Looks like a false positive based on this I read:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ubcd4win-v360.332871/

Is the UBCD working for you? I suppose MS finds danger in people using old third party tools for repairs. Eldon's links should be helpful, especially the links with information about UBCD. Start by burning that and then I suppose the next step is finding a new drive that is supported by Windows 2000 and by the motherboard.

At that point, it will then be interesting to see if the blue screens continue after clone transfer to a new drive. UBCD has a number of tools that will supposedly do the clone or seem to indicate so in name. I haven't used UBCD or the apps, so not sure about which is best. It would be nice if the one you choose threw warnings whenever it ran into a sector that couldn't be read. That would help.

Eldon and satrow like this.
  14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You said---------Turns out that, despite a 99.7% clear bill of health, a grand total of eight sectors came out damaged in the hard disk. Not the best news, but a better understanding of the issue made itself clear.
    Have you tried CHKDSK /R in the working system ---C: Press ENTER, THEN CHKDSK /R from the the working system-
    This may sometimes allow windows to repair the damaged sectors by substitution ......
    - The first 4 are your booting problem- the others are not so important at this time. CHKDSK may repair those for you.
    Now, I have copied such problem disks, and found that the copy disk mostly came error free.
    If you have data in the original faulty system, then you can usually get to this via the 'back door'
    If you look in Computer, and see the other system, you can keep clicking to get into it, and copy any data you want to the working system.
    The working system appears to be on an undamaged section of the hard drive, as there are no bad sectors showing in it.
    Despite what many say, you can run that working system and ignore the original for a while, right now.
    If you use a clone tool in another machine, and connect this hard drive, and another hard-drive to a dual external enclosure /connector, or, a hard drive dock - Then you could clone the drive .

Eldon and AtlBo like this.
  15. adonisunlimited

Hello again, MajorGeeks -- finally back with a brief update on my topic.

Took a while, but I was finally able to do some shopping the other day and made a purchase of another Western Digital "My Passport" portable hard drive. I've included a scanned image of the device (still in the package) below:

wd-my-passport-portable-hard-drive.jpg

Again, I admit I'm a novice at repairing such issues, but according to AtlBo's message, a portable device much like this one will suffice to back up the drive before attempting repairs to the registry that would correct the error. I went with a brand and device I am already pretty familiar with. The image above shows the front (left) and back (right) of the box the drive comes in to show everyone what make and model I've got for this, but if you'll look towards the bottom-right of the back of the box, you'll see that the oldest operating system this device is compatible for is Windows 7 -- considerably newer than the Windows 2000 Professional OS that I'm working to fix. Would this be a problem moving forward, or could I go ahead and proceed with what I've got now?

Before I leave, I'd like to reply to AtlBo and baklogic really quick; again, apart from personal obligations that keep me from responding quickly, I still have trouble getting email notifications from the forum, so I find out about replies whenever I'm free to visit. In response to AtlBo, the positive may have been false; the UBCD4WIN install application worked fine when it was downloaded and the program itself seems uninfected, but I allowed the quarantine and eventual removal to proceed just in case. Ironically, the computer's been a bit slow since the removal, so I bought a FixMeStick along with the hard drive to try to deal with that. I've noticed that external storage devices generally have an option to "Use this drive for backup using Windows Backup" in AutoPlay, but be mindful that my laptop uses the soon-to-be-obsolete Windows 7, and like I mentioned earlier, this hard drive I've bought is apparently good only for Windows 7 and older. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but I don't know of any name-brand backup devices that work for that particular system -- and I did try asking the person who suggested I backup the drive about that, but never got an answer on what to get. To answer your question, the UBCD4WIN is already burnt to disk, but not long after, it was suggested I scan the drive, and that's where the momentum got skewed. Now to reply to baklogic: I recall doing a CHKDSK ("check disk") type of thing before -- if you see my original message, I include a list of parallel forums I've consulted over the years at the very bottom; I'm sure I discussed something like that on one of them. Having said that, I may not have done precisely what you've suggested, so if you think it would help, trying something like that, pass along a tutorial, and I'll give it another try, but I don't remember it working in my experience. And yes, I can work with the parallel Windows 2000 Professional system I have installed just fine for now, but I would very much like to overcome the blue-screen error on the other. I look forward to doing that sometime, hopefully soon.

Alright, everyone -- as always, feel free to contribute whatever you feel will help! Thanks a lot :)

- adonisunlimited

16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

There is a way to continue to use that old partition, -I used Partition Wizard to maneuver partitions with a similar problem.
    Those bad sectors are basically the main problem.
    I got over this by moving the partitions,and hiding the damaged part.
    If you have saved all the data from the problem partition, then- consider this.
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_partition_wizard_home_edition.html
    I will come back shortly with picture guide

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

upload_2019-4-28_20-3-48.png
    upload_2019-4-28_20-4-23.png
    upload_2019-4-28_20-4-51.png
    upload_2019-4-28_20-5-19.png
    upload_2019-4-28_20-5-44.png

AtlBo likes this.
  18. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

upload_2019-4-28_20-6-48.png
    The blank piece left at beginning of hard drive can then be hidden.
    I have to go now, but , I can come back tomorrow to explain in words to compliment the pictures

AtlBo likes this.
  19. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

My preferred option for you for this older operating system, would be to clone.
    You can also use partition Wizard to clone your hard drive to another hard drive, as I said in *4
    With Partition Wizard you can clone to another hard drive of a different size, and choose to keep same size partition(s), or, choose fill new hard drive (automatically enlarge existing partition)
    This is without any other software- other software , I found, tended to limit to same size hard drive.

Now, for the pictures I showed......
    First (Example is on my own present system, so ignore all but C:, and D: partition ......
    First picture...... Click on Launch Application...
    2nd picture,,,,Choose you second partition..
    3rd picture.... click on move/resize, and use slider(a small cross will show , when you hover the mouse at the end of the partition, move slightly to the left, and it will become a II, NOW, hold down mouse button,and pull the slider to the left to make space at end of drive....(equivelent to the bad sector portion of your first(old operating system)
    4th Picture....Click on centre of the now shorter partition, and, hold down mouse button, and drag this until it butts up to the end.
    5th picture... Click on the C: (your first problem partition) Click on move/resize, and hold mouse button on the area, and drag to the end of that partition.
    To save problems, I found it best to hide the damaged part...
    Click on the now empty beginning section of the hard drive, and click on the show/hide button.
    After each operation, you can click the apply changes button, and wait until it says 'applied successfully'
    I have used this method several times with no problem- obviously, there is always a risk- so cloning first would be advisable.

AtlBo likes this.
  20. adonisunlimited

WOOOW...got a lot going on here, baklogic! JK.

I'm not horribly intimidated by all this information, but it will require me to carefully process everything you've shared with me in these last few messages -- plus, I'll need to be sure that I'm in a position to put everything together and carry it out properly, so I'm going to try to go slowly and get to this point gradually. That being said, from what I can make of this so far, it seems promising that the Partition Wizard might do the trick, but it's a cautious optimism at best, since most of what I've tried over the years already didn't fix the problem.

Since I'm starting slow, allow me to revisit a detail from my most recent post:

In baklogic's quote, I took note of the line, "With Partition Wizard you can clone to another hard drive of a different size," which gives me some hope, but I still worry if both Partition Wizard (the program) and the Passport device (the would-be alternate drive) might clash with the computer or the operating system. Since I wasn't able to inquire about the best ways or proper equipment to fix the error with the new diagnosis of the problem, I'm starting all over again, in a sense, to get a hold of the tools needed to do so. I'm laying out what I have in front of me now, and trying to make note of what I'll be needing, so please feel free to let me know if what I have is good enough to proceed or not. Plus, it'll help me determine if I should return the drive for a refund if it wouldn't work for this purpose. AtlBo suggested that I leave the computer alone until I'm actually ready to make moves on backup and repair, so I'll stay true to that for the time being.

I'll keep the Partition Wizard link saved in Favorites for now; thanks a ton for the recommendation. Sorry if my message is info overload for anyone...LOL.

- adonisunlimited

21. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

adonisunlimited - Sorry I have been away, and not come back to you.
    If you make the backup first, then try the method of moving partitions as I described, you should t least be able to just swap hard drives,if it dos go wrong.
    I would look at partition wizard carefully, as you will see it has the ability to save as same size partitions, or, to save in the whole drive , which would be a waste, -I suggest saving as same size partitions, as you can enlarge/move partitions later to resize, if you wish.
    Good luck

22. adonisunlimited

No problem, baklogic -- I'd be on here more regularly were it not for family issues. And I'd respond faster if email notifications from MajorGeeks went through for me.

I haven't gotten time to assemble the computer yet, let alone hook up my recently purchased storage device to it. Once again, a picture of it is below:

[​IMG]

Again, as stated here before, I worry it may not work for my operating system (Windows 2000 Professional) or my computer (Hewlett-Packard Vectra VLi8 MT); if there's a type of drive I should be using for the backup other than this one, I'd hope someone could recommend one, or assure me that the above drive can handle the task. The equipment is a bit more modern and may not have the rollback capabilities for a proper drive backup, so I'm trying to be extra cautious and not be wasteful with resources, hoping I'll get the right stuff at the ready before moving ahead. Don't need to screw up in some way and make mistakes I can't undo.

I'll be back to see what everyone replies with as soon as I'm free again, so thanks for all the helpful tips so far!

- adonisunlimited

23. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

24. adonisunlimited

That's great to know! You (or anyone else here) wouldn't happen to know if that hard drive I bought recently would work for a backup?

- adonisunlimited

25. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry, I kept forgetting about your new hard drive - If you use Partition Wizard to clone, Apply each action, one at a time- and, before closing it down, mark the C: Partition active, while still in Partition Wizard, as with Windows 2000, it might not boot from the new hard drive otherwise.
    I have not used that particular hard drive, myself,but If I did, if cloning, I would format it , first, and have a clean hard drive without WD software on it- If you are using it for anything else , then The software on it, from WD might be needed, so ,in your case, unless just replacing your present hard drive would be better on a smaller hard drive-and I would think you have an IDE hard drive in this system.......You gave no information on it.

26. adonisunlimited

No worries...I bought the WD Passport drive explicitly for this purpose, but if you examine the packaging in the picture provided, the oldest stated OS it would work for is Win7, so I'm not certain if it will connect on anything older than that, especially with Microsoft preparing to end Windows 7 support soon. I'm not sure about how I would need to format the drive, but I have no real intent to use it for nothing else except to do this fix on my other drive if it would work.

Also, I'm sorry about not giving any specifics on the affected drive; I'm not sure how I could find out what type of drive it is or what would indicate it, and, unfortunately, when I was on that other forum a while back, trying to discuss this very issue, I wasn't able to get those questions answered before the site transitioned to the use of a paywall. I'll be happy to get that information for you if I knew how to identify that disk type, if it's that badly needed for this. Again, the change in strategy I've needed to employ opened up a whole lot of technical questions that I'm not well-versed enough to answer without a lot of help.

Thanks again,
    adonisunlimited

27. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Forgive me for putting it this way, but, lets be sure we are on the same wavelength-Pretend total novice-
    I have looked through you couple of years of effort, and, -note you have run CHKDSK /P...and others-
    Did you try simply CHKDSK /R- This will check whole drive and attempt to fix- If it cannot fix it, then , only copying to a replacement hard drive, OR-TRYING PARTITION WIZARD in the way I have described in posts *17 - 18, and 19 will help, as the damaged sectors appear to be on the boot sector, so boot is effectively gone for a swim.

If you give me the complete model name, I can look further,-Meanwhile is this your old computer
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/663149/Hp-Vectra-Vl.html
    If so, the age of it will mean it is most likely with an ata/ide hard drive , like this [​IMG]
    You will, if this is the case, need one of these to replace it, NOTE IT HAS MULTIPLE PINS AND A WIDE CABLE WILL BE ATTACHED TO IT

The newer hard drives are sata like this
    [​IMG]
    NOTE THAT IT HAS ONLY TWO CONNECTION POINTS AND WILL HAVE RED CABLES ATTACHED TO IT.

If YOU WANT TO COPY THE OLD HARD DRIVE, YOU NEED TO DO IT WITH EITHER A DOCKING STATION, POSSIBLY LIKE YOU HAVE ALREADY
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Slo...362822?hash=item1ef8279646:g:wf0AAOSwOttcpWUq

OR, CABLE AND EXTERNAL ENCLOSURE POSSIBLY LIKE YOU HAVE ALREADY
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-USB2...13b91e1d9a44c88ccd506b95dfd0f5&frcectupt=true

I use a docking station, myself most of the time.

28. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Obviously there is something you wish to save on that old original windows 2000 system - I would go to the computer icon, get into the original one, from the new system, and copy from the documents/video/pictures etc: folders ,and desktop files to the working system, or, to that large usb stick you have
    Of course, if you must, those bad sectors, can be a problem,but.................
    You may be able to EXPAND the folder you need with the Windows 2000 disc you have, -It's so long since I ever tried this, but you need to be sure which is the cd drive, and which is the original (should be C: DRIVE)
    https://people.richland.edu/dkirby/172extract.htm

This might help you, too.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg...-creating-a-large-number-of-logical-units-and
    That one , if you scroll down, explains a little more....

More on the expand cmd
    https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH94828.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds