Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-fe04a256cf, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Anon-fe04a256cf

Anon-fe04a256cf Anonymized

I have win7 64 Bit and Cable for my Internet.

I get around 100 Mbps speed.
    And yes I have the MODEM going to my DeskTop PC with an Ethernet Cable.

I was going to move the MODEN 10 Feet away from me just to put it next to my Printer.

I wanted to ask if I Buy a CAT. 5. Ethernet Cable in 10 Feet will this be able to give me the same 100 Mbps speed?

I know Ethernet comes in Diferant CATs.

Thanks for the time and help.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

10 feet is no big deal so distance is not the problem. However you want to make sure it is CAT5e or better yet, CAT6. CAT5 is a much older standard that does not support the same speeds; 100Mbps for CAT5 vs 1000Mbps for CAT5e.

CAT6 supports up to 10Gbps. You sure don't need CAT6 now, but in the future, you might.

Oh, you really should consider getting a router to put in between the modem and your computer. It will not slow your network down but will give you a very significant security layer. Plus, you can support many other devices at full speeds.

3. Anon-fe04a256cf

Anon-fe04a256cf Anonymized

Thanks for getting back to me.

Now both CAT5e and CAT6. have the RJ-45 connector on it.
    And yes I know it is how the Wires are Paired up inside.

But when you plug the same RJ-Plug into diferant things how do they know witch wire to use?

This may sound very very Nuts I know.

What I mean is if every Ethernet port is for an RJ-45 Plug.
    Then if you plug a CAT.5e or CAT6. into it how can you use the same cable?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You use the same wall plug to plug in a light duty extension cord and a heavy duty extension cord. It is what is inside the cord/cable not what it is plugged into.

Attached Files:

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You were talking modem. Modems have just 1 input and 1 output so not sure I understand what you mean by "every Ethernet port" and "which wire to use".

Do you really have an integrated network device? If your device has more than 1 Ethernet port on your side, then you have an integrated device. These come in several varieties but the two most common these days are "wireless routers" and "residential gateway" devices.

A wireless router is really a router, 4-port Ethernet switch, and a WAP (wireless access point) - 3 discrete devices that just happen to share a case, circuit board and power supply. The wireless router sits between all your computers and your modem. The modem is what connects your network to the ISP's network and the Internet.

A "residential gateway" is really a 4-in-one integrated device. It includes the router, Ethernet switch, and WAP, but also a modem - all in the same case.

Some even include a VoIP device for Internet phone.

In any case, if your device has a 4-port Ethernet switch, and you have more than one computer connected, it does not matter if CAT5e or CAT6. The router will direct the data to the computer based on its assigned IP address.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds