Can I Replace My E5300 With A E8500?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toller, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Toller

Toller Private E-2

I know it is an old piece of junk, but it does pretty much what I want, but is slloooww.

It is a HP S5500 with a E5300 processor. I see a E8500 on line for $10. It is the same socket.
    What will happen if I replace my processor?

Supposedly it is 33% faster that would be a good deal for $10.

W10H, 4gb memory.

2. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

3. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Is it running a SSD drive?
    s.

4. Toller

Toller Private E-2

No, it is not an SSD. I have an SSD I am not using, if it matters. I bought a new computer to replace the HP and put a SSD in it, but the power supply failed and was too expensive to replace (darned Lenovo!) so I have the SSD from it. Never bothered to put it in this one and I considered it temporary. But if I could upgrade the CPU....

The motherboard link shows that both CPUs fit it. How is it not supported?

25 years ago I was a programmer and built my own computers, but it has gotten way too complicated now.

5. dr.moriarty

Sorry - only looked under Pentium Duo Core... not Core 2 Duo. *Perhaps you should be alittle more specific in your info requests to aid someone whose helping you research; like exact motherboard and CPU models.

6. Toller

Toller Private E-2

Being ignorant myself, I don't know what information is required. Sorry.

So, will it work with a straight replacement? Will I need to change bios settings or anything

7. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

If you wish to improve the speed of your pc.
    You could clone the present OS onto the SSD and things would seem quicker.
    s.

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Just curious.... is the Lenovo a laptop or desktop.... and what is the model?

9. Toller

Toller Private E-2

Or jumpers. I vaguely remember that jumpers had to be changed if the processor frequency changed.

10. dr.moriarty

11. TimW

Just trying to clarify this comment.

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

13. Toller

Toller Private E-2

Darned Lenovo.... they use a proprietary PSU that costs $125; while a normal one would cost $20.

The Speccy is attached.

Attached Files:

14. TimW

LOL ....we've had nothing but threads about Lenovo lately! What is the model?

15. Toller

Toller Private E-2

I don't remember; maybe H50? It failed 54 weeks after I bought it (2 weeks out of warranty). I paid $250 for it, and the replacement PSU would was $125, so I tossed it.

My credit card doubles the warranty. They decided it wasn't cost effective to fix, so they refunded my money!

16. the mekanic

17. Toller

Toller Private E-2

Upgrade the HP. The Lenovo is disposed of.
    Do I actually NEED the BIOS update? Years ago IT bricked my computer doing a bios update and I have been leery of them ever since.

18. TimW

Well, that's good to know!! :)

19. the mekanic

If you have never updated it, you may find that it won't boot after the CPU upgrade. Then you would have to reinstall the old one, update, and then install the new one. Or, it may just work as I don't see a specific update for CPU support. There is a newer version on the update list which specifies fixing an issue with running 2GB RAM in each slot (triple channel) if you choose to have three sticks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds