Cannot Download "glasswire"

Discussion in 'Software' started by jek1862, Oct 29, 2017.

1. jek1862

jek1862 Private E-2

I have a terrible hacker on my network. I am not going to list the 50 reasons why I know this, I am positive. It has been going on for 7 long miserable weeks. Wrecked two computers. Been a nightmare and I am at war with him/her trying to get rid of him.
    One thing he likes to do is whenever I try to download a software dealing in networking, most of the time he jumps right on and messes up the download/installation. Some he lets through. One such software is Glasswire, an excellent tool for finding out what is on your network and has many other good features. When I found out about it I immediately tried to download it. But 3/4 of the way it said "installation failed". I clicked on that and somehow it went through, but then when I tried to activate it, it said "the service stopped running", and was unusable. I have tried three more times to Download this at different times of the day. He seems to have my system automated to make the download fail. How he does this I don't know. I use McAfee. Right in the middle of the download, up will pop up two different notifications under "programs wanting internet access". One is "Glasswire Stats Reporter" and the other is simply "Windows Installer". It gives me the option to block them, and I do, but he still succeeds in stopping the download. I also use a software called Spy Shelter Premium that shoots out notifications all day long of things he is trying to do to my computer. The Glasswire was listed in the Spy Shelter list, but I could not figure out why or what to do. I know why he doesn't want me having Glasswire on. Because it will either reveal information about his connection to my system, or he feels threatened by it in some way. I have seen many network scanners on the Internet, but Glasswire seems to be the best. I have managed to download a few like "whoisonmywifi". From it a box comes up about every 7 minutes that says "an unidentified computer was found on your network", but no other detailed information. Others have given me information that doesn't look "right" to me, but I have limited computer knowledge and need someone to come in here and look at all of the evidence I have and make sense of it and stop this hacker. I am not asking for help getting rid of a hacker here. I am concentrating on the fact that he can get into my system and stop me from downloading applications and many other things I do not care to mention, because it all makes me sick. Really, my question is two fold: 1) how does he stop/mess up a download I want to do 2) Is there any way I can "outsmart him" and get the download on, or does it just come down to getting rid of HIM? Thanks for your help.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Shut off your wireless connection, if that is how he gets access.
    This.^^^^

If you're being blocked from downloading software, take a USB drive to your local library or friend with a PC and get it there. You can bring it home and run it.

the mekanic likes this.
  4. jek1862

jek1862 Private E-2

JustPlayin-thank you for your response, but I have to show you why your suggestions will fail.
    1) You said to shut off my wireless connection. For your information, I do not have wifi accessed on my system. I told my ISP to shut it off at the office. On top of that I disabled my WIFI on my machine. Of course, the wifi lights on my router have always been off. This makes me think he must be coming in through my cable, however the "who is on my wifi" app. I downloaded says there is an "unknown computer on my network". I also have about 5 other network scanners that all turn up very suspicious information, and a couple of these deal with only wifi, the others deal with EVERYTHING on my network.
    2) You said to download the app. I want(in this case Glasswire) from the library or a friend. Sure I could do that. But I know as soon as I install it on my machine he will go in and either corrupt it or make it unusable, as he has already done several times to apps.(all network scanners) he doesn't "like". So there is no way I can win. I am not going to run any more malware scans as I KNOW I have a hacker on my network. Sure there is garbage on my machine, but he put it there. I am tired of debating with readers on whether I have a hacker or not. Please don't do this. Sure I could list MANY reasons why I am POSITIVE I do, but I am not here to convince anyone of something I already know for certain.
    In this post, I am going to concentrate on one issue I have suspected was associated with a hacker from the beginning. And more so as time has gone by. It involves my command prompt box. Ever since all this suspicious behavior started on my machine, my command prompt box would come up at random times for about one second, no longer. Sometimes there is writing in the box, sometimes not. Because it goes by so fast have been unable to do a print screen. However, tonight I got lucky. I FINALLY got the screen printed and transferred it to my Paint. The box comes up daily, usually two or three times, as I said at very random times as I have kept records. Unfortunately, on the one I finally caught tonight, there was nothing in the box, but there was some writing across the border on the top. I am going to print here all it said, as I have NO IDEA what it means or may mean. I am hoping someone here may be able to look at this and give me some ideas about it or any information would help. Here is what it said: Select C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\installutil.exe
    If you know what that means or even part of it, or have some ideas or theories I would really like to hear them, as I cannot make heads or tails of any of it. It certainly looks "wrong".I do not activate the command prompt box EVER, it just comes up. I have read many things in the search engines that can possibly account for the command prompt box coming up, but have found nothing that relates to my situation. I have seen a few say they were worried it might indicate hacker or malicious activity, like maybe trying to "connect" and other various theories. Understand I NEVER had anything like this happen until all my "problems" began about 2 months ago. I am very angry and frustrated, as you can probably tell. I am going to post the command prompt problem in a more appropriate forum as well, as I am not sure if it is appropriate to put it here. I put it here because I personally am CONVINCED it relates to the Glasswire problem I originally wrote about. Thank you for any and all help.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If this "who is on my wifi" app and the other network apps detect someone on your wireless network, it is not shut off. If your wireless connection is shut off, no one can access it because you do not have a functioning wireless network.

6. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

If you have not done so yet.

Try running stuff through safe mode and see what happens with out networking.See what pop's up in the Task manger.

And open and give us details what is on the windows task scheduler.There could be a Task running in the backround.

7. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

o_O The Task Scheduler service does NOT run in Safe Mode.

the mekanic likes this.
  8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

LOL!

Have you performed a System Restore to an older Save Point? Say, maybe three months? Then let it update to observe if the trends/issues repeat? Or is the install too recent? You mentioned a few machines. Can we get a quick timeline on the machines?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds