cannot uninstall sbc self help tool

Discussion in 'Software' started by languy99, May 24, 2006.

1. languy99

languy99 Corporal

i have the sbc self help tool that keeps popping up when i start windows, i went to add/remove and its not listed, then i went to the program folder found the uninstaller and when i clicked it, it said that i need to remove it from the add/remove, what do i do because i can't take it off.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would try re-installing it, then uninstalling...hopefully the re-installation will recreate the entry in add/remove programs.

If/when it does appear in add/remove programs, I would try using CCleaner to uninstall it.

3. languy99

languy99 Corporal

where can i got the program to reinstall it, i just got the computer from a friend so i have non of the software

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm.... sbc is yahoo, but I can't find anything there or on google...does the program itself contain any links, or URLS? Specifically, I would check under 'About' on the help menu, if that is available!

5. languy99

languy99 Corporal

ok i found my old sbc disk and tried that and it had an option to install sbc self help tool, what it does is that it links you to a direct download from a site, its called sstsoftware.sbcglobal.net but if you just type that in it does not work and i did find sstsoftware, i did download the exe so right now i will try to see if it works or not.

6. languy99

languy99 Corporal

ok i tried the install , it did not work it said that i already have the self help tool installed and then it just closed the installer. anyone got any suggestions?

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Can you post a link?

8. languy99

languy99 Corporal

no i can't when i open the cd, and click on install, the save exe window pops up, no link or anything. sorry. unless you want me to attach the installer?

9. languy99

languy99 Corporal

i talked to sbc tech support, they could not figure it out, so they transfer me to level two tech support, nothing. they said to find the ipvnmon.sys file but i don't have that file on the hard drive, its not anywhere. when he called me back and left a message he said that i might need a program but got cut off, i think he was talking about something like ccleaner but that does not have it listed either. so any help would be appreciated.

10. languy99

languy99 Corporal

ok i looked in registry editor and found it there, i found under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SBC Self support tool and these are the valus i found under it:

name type data
    (default) reg_sz (value not set)
    DisplayIcon reg_sz c:\program files\sbc self support tool\bin\resource.dll, 1
    DisplayVersion reg_sz 5.6.0.asst_classic.ass_install
    Publisher reg_sz Motive Communications, Inc.
    UninstallString reg_sz c:\PROGRA(squigly line missing on my keyboard)\SBCSEL(squigly line)1\cusstomuninstall.exe SBC
    URLInfoAbout reg_sz http://www.motive.com

11. languy99

languy99 Corporal

just wanted to let you know that i removed it using "remove" from your guys site it worked great, all fixed now

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds