Can't change picture names?

Discussion in 'Software' started by emoxballerina, Mar 15, 2008.

1. emoxballerina

emoxballerina Private E-2

When I go to my pictures folders and click on it to change the name it keeps giving me the same error message
    "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable"

Why is it doing this and what does it mean by file name extension?

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Each of your pictures has a file extension at the end...something like .jpg or .bmp or .tif

When you are about to chnage the file name of the picture, make a mental note of the file extension and be sure to type the very same one after you change the file name. For example:

Original filename of picture : flower.jpg

Would become with name change: rose.jpg

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you go into Tools > Folder Options > View and make sure the box for "Hide extensions for known file types" is checked, you won't see the extensions, and therefore you won't accidentally change it. You won't get the warning either, because with the extension hidden, it will stay the same.

4. emoxballerina

emoxballerina Private E-2

Thanks you guys so much! I recently had to clean some malware off my computer and I forgot that I had unchecked the option to hide known file extensions.

5. santhosh

santhosh Private E-2

how can i change the name in the picture

6. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

You'r posting to a two year old thread. Why not start a new one?

Also, welcome to MG!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds