Can't Install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Electro-User, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Electro-User

Electro-User Private First Class

I am trying to install .NET Framework 3.5 sp1
    As I need it to get my Blackberry desktop to install and also a new version of Win Office.

I've downloaded it from Microsoft.com and each time it starts to load I get the error below:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 has encountered a problem during setup. Setup did not complete correctly.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Error signature:

EventType : visualstudio8setup P1 : 35101
    P2 : 3.5.30729.01_orcas_x86_net P3 : mc P4 : inst P5 : f
    P6 : ca_installassemblydef.3643236f_fc70_11d3_a536 P7 : 0 P8 : 1603
    P9 : - P10 : gencomp760_{12cd
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I have an HP Pavilion with Win XP Pro and SP3

Please help if you can.

Thanks

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Do you already have an earlier version of .NET Framework 3.5 installed. Or other versions? If so, try uninstalling them (from Control Panel) before attempting the install again.

If not, try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Electro-User

plodr - I downloaded the .NET Clean-up Tool - but the ReadMe file says it will remove files. Please see text below from the ReadMe file:

---------------------------------------------------------
    This .NET Framework cleanup tool is designed to automatically perform a set of steps to remove selected versions
    of the .NET Framework from a computer. It will remove files, directories, registry keys and values and Windows
    Installer product registration information for the .NET Framework. The tool is intended primarily to return your
    system to a known (relatively clean) state in case you are encountering .NET Framework installation,
    uninstallation, repair or patching errors so that you can try to install again.

There are a couple of very important caveats that you should review before using this tool to remove any version
    of the .NET Framework from your system:

* This tool is designed as a last resort for cases where install, uninstall, repair or patch installation did not
    succeed for unusual reasons. It is not a substitute for the standard uninstall procedure. You should try the
    steps listed in this blog post before using this cleanup tool.

* This cleanup tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework. If
    you run the cleanup tool, you will need to perform a repair/re-install for all other versions of the .NET
    Framework that are on your computer or they will not work correctly afterwards.

6. plodr

Screenshot
    [​IMG]
    Press the down arrow aside of the Product to cleanup:
    When you see what you have installed and write all versions down, simply click the Exit button. Nothing is removed. I've used this tool on several computers just to figure out what versions of .NET are installed.

7. Electro-User

plodr -

.NET Framework Setup Cleanup Utility shows:

.NET

Attached Files:

8. plodr

I'm off to the doctor but later I will do some searching and see if 3.1 is needed before 3.5 can be updated.
    Then I'll check my notes to see where MS stores the files in XP Pro SP3.

Link for me for later: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

9. plodr

This is depressing. I found a thread from Oct. 2011 and the person has the same visualstudio8error trying to install .NET 3.5 SP1 on a computer running Vista
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/pl/netfxsetup/thread/92670b10-0f8a-40db-be1c-db599e9b08f9
    It doesn't look like any solution was given. The same error kept coming up despite the person following the suggestions.

XP stores .NET framework information in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework

what numbers are behind the v3.5 folder? (I don't have 3.5 installed on my XP computer) On my Win 7, I'm showing just v3.5 (I have to figure out if I ever installed SP1).

Check HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP

Link for me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework_version_history#.NET_Framework_3.5

10. plodr

Win 7, my registry shows a 1033 under 3.5
    When I look in that, It says Version 3.5.30729.5420

Go here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22
    DO NOT click the download button. That would give you the small size and you might need the full package as I discovered while searching for clues.
    Scroll down to the heading Full Package and click the link. It is about 250MB and will download to your computer.

11. Electro-User

plodr - Do I need to remove anything before I install the "Full package"?

12. plodr

At this point, I really do not know. In a thread at another forum someone looked at logs and could see that there were more than 20 attempts to install this. I have no idea what logs were examined and I'm pretty sure that if you found them, I would be clueless reading them.
    I also hesitate to tell you to use the removal tool to remove 3.5 because people have remove NET framework versions then could not get them installed again. I hate to see what you have, mostly working now, wiped out by a removal.

If brave, you could create a restore point then use the tool to remove 3.5 and reboot. Then install the full package of 3.5 from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21
    You need to scroll down to see the Full redistribution (again do not go for the small package). Reboot and try installing 3.5 SP1.

If anything fails at a certain point, restore the computer to the point before you removed 3.5.

Actually, even if you decide not to do the removal, a restore point is a good idea before you try to install 3.5 SP1. If it fails, use the restore point because you at least have one fewer failed attempts at installation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds