Can't run Spyware Blaster 4.2

Discussion in 'Software' started by icantsleep, May 16, 2009.

1. icantsleep

icantsleep Private E-2

I downloaded Spyware Blaster 4.2 and installed it, but when I try to run the program, NOTHING happens. I get an hourglass for two seconds, then the arrow. I wait, wait, wait...and NOTHING. What on earth? I've had this program for years w/o a problem.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version are you using?

Uninstall the older version if installed already, logon to admin account and install (if the downloaded file is corrupted then also re-download again Spywareblaster)

Also try installing with your Antivirus application disabled, at times these can block certain softwares from installing (if you have Spybot installed, disable it too as it can block software installs from writing data to the registry)

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Additionally, prior to uninstalling SpywareBlaster, always "disable all protection" first. Although it may have nothing to do with your problem this time.

4. icantsleep

icantsleep Private E-2

Thanks for helping.

I don't remember whether I disabled protection when I uninstalled 4.1. Is there a way to check that after the fact?

Computer has XP Media Center. I have downloaded and installed (and then uninstalled) Spyware Blaster from two Major Geeks servers and two other sites.

I disabled Spybot and just installed again, and the program will not run at the end of the install or from the desktop shortcut.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

So it now installs ok but doesnt run?

Try this, seems drastic but need to rule out other applications causing this, uninstall form Add/Remove both Spywareblaster and Spybot and then run CCleaner and its Cleaner and Registry cleaners (will need to keep running the registry one until nothing is found) then reboot and re-install Spywareblaster first.

Do you have Comodo installed if so what version, if its not latest then update to latest version.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

IE 8 and Spybot S&D both put sites in the Restricted Zone. That causes IE 8's slowdown because IE 8 cannot handle that many restricted websites in that Zone.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2009-03-25.html

Spybot feels that Microsoft should make changes to allow 3rd party software to use the Restricted Zone as well.

It's doubtful that Microsoft will change IE 8 to accommodate Spybot and perhaps? SpywareBlaster etc. because IE 8 is their browser. ;)

Prior to uninstalling Spybot, always "UNDO" the immunization first, just as in SpywareBlaster.

If you wish to use Spybot (no Teatimer) without the immunization feature, one should be fine with it and IE 8.

7. icantsleep

icantsleep Private E-2

I uninstalled Spybot and Spyware Blaster with Revo at the Advanced level, and restarted the system. Then I ran CCleaner and its registry cleaner until there were no errors on either one.

Then I downloaded Spyware Blaster from Major Geeks with Avast off and reinstalled.

Spyware Blaster doesn't run, and it doesn't matter whether I run it on installation or from the icon after I install it.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You might want to mention everything you've done to get this to work and post it in the SpywareBlaster portion of Wilder's Security forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
    in the 4.2 thread because that appears to be the newest.

I looked over the FAQs at the javacool site and could find nothing having to do with SpywareBlaster not opening.
    Right-click on the icon, select properties and see what the target has as the path.
    Follow the path to be sure that the exe is in that location.

If you click on the exe from the SpywareBlaster folder, does it open?

9. icantsleep

icantsleep Private E-2

The path of the shortcut leads to the executable file. The same problem happens when I try to open the program from the Spyware Blaster folder - the hourglass for two seconds and then the arrow.

I have already posted on the javacool "Spyware Blaster and other" forum. To tell you the truth, this forum has offered me twice as much advice. The javacool folks have weighed in once - to clarify what was happening and to make sure I had updated Windows.

Last night I deleted Spybot with Revo, deleted Spyware Blaster with Revo, restarted, ran CCleaner, restarted, downloaded Spyware Blaster again from Major Geeks, and installed. The thing still doesn't run.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds