Case Usb Port Not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Hello forum readers,

I have an issue with A usb port from my case

To give insight here is my dilemma
    I have 3 hard drives - 1 has windows 7 , 1 has windows 8.1 and a new one has windows 10
    I don't swap the hard drives often and i have my own reasons for putting the OS like this as opposed to partitions.

The case has 2 usb ports on the front both which are usb 3.0
    They BOTH work fine on windows 7 and windows 8 however after installing windows 10 on a new hard drive one of the 2 front usb ports does not seem to work at all. It just doesn't read any device at all

Now you may think its faulty but this is NOT the case as i quickly swapped back to my other hard drives and usb port works just fine.

I updated the drivers but nothing changed, i uninstalled all the usb drivers and restarted pc and let it reinstall them but still that one usb port is not being read at all.

However the device manager does pick it up but the operating system i am running ( windows 10 pro 64 bit) is just not reading anything from it at all.

Any suggestions?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I presume you're swapping out drives and booting from each one individually. Have you connected one of the other drives after booting to the Windows 10 Pro drive?

Does Windows 7/8 recognize the Windows 10 drive if it's plugged in after booting to 7 or 8?

I have a Windows 10 USB SSD that doesn't get recognized in 7/8.1/10 (on partitions) unless I assign a Drive Letter to it in Disk Management.

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I haven't tried plugging the drive after i boot from win 7/8, but then again i am connecting the drives internally and not via usb.

However my issue isn't even about the hard drives or operating system ( to an extent) , its about a usb port on the front of the case that doesn't work on windows 10 ( but yet it works on windows 8 and 7)

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Seems this problem has been going on since 2015.
    Various ideas skating around, but might be worth a try- Whilst in Windows 10.
    Disable fast boot, has been suggested as it might be a cause of usb port not enabling.
    Check in Device manager to see if a usb device has an exclamation/yellow triangle , or,driver issue.
    Check for latest Bios,in case there has been a manufacturer update.
    Check chipset drivers are the latest.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds